DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 75 Word Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the month started late and then ended early! Cul's posted, it must be done. Voting's easy this time. :D

I think there's plenty of room for gloom and doom -- it is, after all, unrequited love.

YAY!!! RcG, you couldn't have picked a more awesome theme and genre if you'd tried. Unrequited love? Fairytales*? That's like two of my favourite things right there. Add in some tragedy (which unrequited love is) then it's spot on. :D

Don't know if I'll enter though, but hey I'm more likely to this month!

*incidentally, a theme I was going to choose once, a long, long time ago.

Gah ... theme and style nightmare. Both are not my reading or writing taste but will give it a go. Expect something clumsy like a teenage nerd attempting to ask out the head cheerleader.

I got the same feeling of dread when I read the theme as I did when I read Chris's 'In the style of Kipling' challenge. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained etc. Could take some time though.

Gah ... theme and style nightmare. Both are not my reading or writing taste but will give it a go. Expect something clumsy like a teenage nerd attempting to ask out the head cheerleader.
Heh, that sounds familiar, Luiglin. Not a cheerleader, but she was really popular. After struggling to get the words out, it was a spectacular crash and burn. Oh the joys of youth! :p:D

Well, that's mine up. Not sure it's all that I wanted it to be, but so be it. A flash of inspiration and I went with it.

Lol ... I was the cheerleader ... only kidding.

After complaining I had inspiration and posted.

I got the same feeling of dread when I read the theme as I did when I read Chris's 'In the style of Kipling' challenge. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained etc. Could take some time though.
Combine all those together by writing a story about your unrequited love for one of Mr Kipling's cakes. (They must make something resembling a fairy** cake, surely?)

** - It's a cupcake, for those of you unfamiliar with the UK name.

I can't very well riff off puss in boots now can I springs! There goes idea number one :wink: I thought it was very amusing, and so true...our cats give death stares when the tin opened is for us not them...but tuna is always a good way of winning them over!

I am posted. There goes my idea of waiting to perfect it....

I'm the same Ratsy. Logical mind says wait, tweak it to get it just right. Then little imp pops up on shoulder saying "Post it, post it now!"

oh yeah, me too for that matter...(only not for 40 years....yet)

I've read the Wikipedia entry on Fairytale Fantasy, and I'm still clueless as to how it differs from plain Fantasy. Anybody have a more enlightening explanation?

I have lots of fairytale books, including a decent collection of other countries' fairytales and folktales, and I have lots of fantasy books, but I would say the main difference between fairytales and fantasy books is that fairytales are considerably shorter and don't concern themselves with the overall possible-ness (possibilities is not the right word there) of the world in which they take place. I think that's summed up in the part in Wikipedia that talks about "world-building" and the lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back