Having trouble getting started

rwrogers24

Ryan
Hi there. I just joined today and this is my first post, not sure if this is the right forum to discuss this topic, but oh well. I have always wanted to write but I can never get motivated. I have an idea for a sci-fi opera type story that has been rolling around in my head for many years. I have characters, plots, a universe, a rough outline, all in my head. I do keep several notes on my phone using Evernote but when it comes to sitting down and starting to write I get discouraged. I think to myself that "I can't do this" "I have never done this, why do I think i can"...and things to that nature. I work on a golf course and sit on a mower for several hours at a time and all I do is think of pieces of my story. I psych myself up and say as soon as i get home i'm going to start. But when I get home though those discouraging thoughts return and I end up doing something else. I am not looking to become a famous author or make money, I would like to just get started and eventually finish so I can feel I actually did it.
Has anyone else had these thoughts and if so how did you get over them? Or anyone have any idea how to rid myself of these thoughts?
Thanks a lot for all of your time,
Ryan

If you keep notes, then maybe expand on them a little instead of doing writing to begin with. It depends what exactly is discouraging you.

-If it's the plot, then do a 'sequence of events' sort of chain so you know exactly where you're going when you start writing.

-If it's the characters, you could try doing a character profile or something similar. You could even write a small scene with your characters that wouldn't end up in the book, but would help you get the feel for them better.

-If it's your writing style, I can only say just start writing and keep writing. Practice is the absolute best thing when it comes to that.

Ultimately, remember you're doing it for you and nobody else. You have a story to tell and you have every right to write that. Once you start I'm sure the negative thoughts will start to disappear.

Hope that helps. :)

I would say set a small, reasonable goal. "I'm just going to write 200 words, that's all." And then just write them. Doesn't have to be in order, start to finish. Doesn't have to be a completed scene, can just be a few paragraphs of an idea you had that is cool.

I think the snag is that you sit down to "write a book" which of course no-one can do in one sitting, and then you do indeed get discouraged. Or perhaps you are thinking you have to write beginning to end through the story, and again you get discouraged because the beginning may not be the part that is firing your imagination right now and that part seems so far off if you set out at the start.

So hopefully that will help, and writing will become a habit and get easier and easier :)

Thank you allmywires, I appreciate your advice. I don't have any problem with creating, I just have myself convinced that I can't do it. But your last piece of advice
"Ultimately, remember you're doing it for you and nobody else. You have a story to tell and you have every right to write that. Once you start I'm sure the negative thoughts will start to disappear"
is very encouraging. Thank you again!

TheTomG
I appreciate your advice. I don't think I think i have to sit down and write the whole thing. I just have this crazy thing in my head that says "i don't know what I am doing, don't bother" and similar thoughts. But the idea of sitting and trying to do 150-200 words might be very helpful. Thank you again.
Ryan

Hi Ryan

This is just the right place for this kind of query -- and I hope we can help you with this.

First things first -- shut off that damn (and damning) critical voice! Next time it pops up and says "You can't write" you reply -- out loud -- "Of course I can!" Treat yourself like you'd treat one of your children. If your child came home from school and said "I can't do this English assignment" would you say "You're absolutely right. I think you should quit school"? No. You'd say something like "You might find it a bit difficult now, but I know that you can do this. We'll work on it together and get it done." So say the same to yourself.

So, Ryan, you're finding it a bit daunting now, but I'm sure you can do it, because you've already done the initial hard part which is the world-building and the creation of characters. We can't work on it together with you, but we can help when you have problems.

Second, have you spoken to your family about your wish to write? Are they supportive? Are they likely to be supportive if you do tell them? Find someone you like and respect and ask him/her to be your buddy in this, so you can get direct encouragement and you have someone you can bounce ideas off.

Third, don't think about writing the whole book, that is, don't keep the idea of 150,000 words or umpteen hundred pages in mind, just think about writing one scene or one page, or even one paragraph. Take it one small step at a time. When you've written that scene/page/paragraph, give yourself a present -- an extra biscuit or a beer, whatever peps you up. Be wary of continuing the paragraph-present thing too long though -- otherwise obesity awaits... Speaking of obesity -- it's like being grossly overweight and thinking you have to lose 200lbs. It's too much, so you give up. Instead, it's best to think about losing 1 or 2 lbs, and then when they've gone, look at the next lb.

That help?

NB Welcome to the Chrons!

EDIT: I took too long composing this so everyone else has answered and said the same things!

Incidentally, you weren't to know but it's perfectly OK for you to reply to several people in one long post rather than a lot of small ones, and we actually prefer members to do this. (And thank you for being considerate enought to reply and thank people!)

Last edited:
Very handy thread for me too, this. Not because I don't know where to start (bit late for that!) but because I had someone say exactly the same thing to me the other week - they had all these ideas, a notebook full of characters, but just didn't know how to start writing.

I've never not written, so the idea of not knowing where to start I just can't get my head round. I had no advice for him other than 'just write a sentence.' So I shall be stealing some of the ideas from this thread and telling my friend when I see him later.

Ta muchly.

The Judge
Thanks for your advice and I think you nailed it with the "child and English assignment" comparison. I really appreciate the advice.

And to everyone else, thanks for all the advice now and in the future. I've only been on here for an hour or so and I already feel at home. Thank you!

Hi rwrogers,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm pretty sure everyone on these forums has been in a very similar situtation as yourself at one point or another (and if they haven't, then they're bloody lucky!) So you're definitely not alone in feeling this.

I'd agree with springs that developing a writing habit is key. Experiment with different times and situations to see what you like - perhaps first thing in the morning would be a better time - when it's calm and quiet and no-one else is about?

I finally found a regular writing habit by taking a cheap long-distance creative writing course. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but in completing the exercises, generally to complete short stories and small pieces of prose, you have imposed deadlines, aspiration to reach a good standard of writing, feedback from writers (this can be absolutely invaluable right at the start) and the warm glow of actually finishing a story. You will improve and it will help your confidence.

Above all, whatever you decide to do, try and enjoy the whole process! I know that some days you'll feel tired or grumpy or as creative as a wet fish - again don't worry, we all get them every so often (and then spend all our time posting on Chrons ;)) Fight through them and always try and find what keeps you enthusiastic and excited about your writing every day - as then you will be much more likely to complete the big project.

Hi there. I just joined today and this is my first post, not sure if this is the right forum to discuss this topic, but oh well. I have always wanted to write but I can never get motivated. I have an idea for a sci-fi opera type story that has been rolling around in my head for many years. I have characters, plots, a universe, a rough outline, all in my head. I do keep several notes on my phone using Evernote but when it comes to sitting down and starting to write I get discouraged. I think to myself that "I can't do this" "I have never done this, why do I think i can"...and things to that nature. I work on a golf course and sit on a mower for several hours at a time and all I do is think of pieces of my story. I psych myself up and say as soon as i get home i'm going to start. But when I get home though those discouraging thoughts return and I end up doing something else. I am not looking to become a famous author or make money, I would like to just get started and eventually finish so I can feel I actually did it.
Has anyone else had these thoughts and if so how did you get over them? Or anyone have any idea how to rid myself of these thoughts?
Thanks a lot for all of your time,
Ryan

I still have similar thoughts. All I can tell you is the same thing my mother told me. (Best one in the world.;))

Keep a journal, write everyday. Don't worry necessarily about the story, outline if you feel you need to. In time, you can get the story out.

Another bit of advice that really helped me was: don't continually re-read what you've just written. Just write and get the ideas out.

The mental process of creating a story is very different from the mental process of critically assessing the quality of your text. Keep your creative artist and your editor separate - they are both important, but save the editing until you have words down.

Some disciplined souls even complete the whole first draft before going back and editing!

Join in with the writing challenges on this forum. You have a theme/genre and a target date to motivate you to write.

Once you get more confident in your ability you will feel better in tackling your masterpiece.

I had this problem for a while, but it wasn't fear of "i'm not any good at this" that was the problem, it was Skyrim... But now I'm quite bored of Skyrim, so I can sit down and write for hours. :)

Just write, if nobody is going to read it but yourself, what is there to fear?

I find writing a habitual thing. I thought about writing for years but never actually tried to write something. Then one day, I found I had all this time to spare, so I was like, "Why not?". I barely had an idea where I was going, I just sat down and wrote something, then I worked myself into a routine. Once I got used to the routine, I found I had to write, otherwise I didn't know what to do with my time.

My advise is not to worry about word count, or even the story; just free-write ideas as they come to you and get into the groove, then you'll be away.

I do have a suggestion which works for me, which might make things easier, it's something I do myself.

If you have ideas for characters, begin by thinking of a setting the character they would be in where they would do something interesting, something that really helps the reader understand who they are. Write them in that scene... but it doesn't have to be in the book at all. It could just be a sort of creative journaling. Think of something funny, or scary, or interesting that you'd like to see happen and write it up.

The point is to start writing. If you don't use it in the book, fine. Chalk it up to character development. If you like it, share it as short fiction later. If you think it actually might fit in the book later, fit it in by all means.

Stop thinking of what you write as being some grand design. Just write, have fun with it. Doing this will give you ideas, and will help you ease into it. Later on you'll be more confidant about what you're doing and you can decide what to include and what not to.