Is there anything wrong with having three-four stories where the MC's dad is evil?

UltimateUniverse900

Three of my stories have a similar premise, with the MC's being a half-demons and all of their dad's are villains. I even have another story idea I've been working on, which the MC is half-cyborg and has a villain dad as well.

Is this a problem?

No.

Story ideas are the start of a story, but they rarely encapsulate the whole story, once it is written.

There are plenty of movies, TV shows, novels, short stories, etc. that can be easily boiled down to "The MC has an evil father." I googled "books with an evil father" and got a Goodreads category called "Bad Dads" with over a hundred books shelved there. Spoiler Alert: Star Wars has an evil dad. The evil dad is only part of the story; as you develop these stories they should become about much more than just "the MC has an evil dad." If you feel that your stories are too similar, find something in each that is unique and work on developing it so that it stands apart - the setting, side characters, a magic system, or the main character's motivations.

Do not let something so small get in the way of writing your stories. Keep writing.

No.

Story ideas are the start of a story, but they rarely encapsulate the whole story, once it is written.

There are plenty of movies, TV shows, novels, short stories, etc. that can be easily boiled down to "The MC has an evil father." I googled "books with an evil father" and got a Goodreads category called "Bad Dads" with over a hundred books shelved there. Spoiler Alert: Star Wars has an evil dad. The evil dad is only part of the story; as you develop these stories they should become about much more than just "the MC has an evil dad." If you feel that your stories are too similar, find something in each that is unique and work on developing it so that it stands apart - the setting, side characters, a magic system, or the main character's motivations.

Do not let something so small get in the way of writing your stories. Keep writing.
A very good point. And sometimes the evil dad becomes good in the end, like in Star Wars.

If you feel that your stories are too similar, find something in each that is unique and work on developing it so that it stands apart - the setting, side characters, a magic system, or the main character's motivations.
It's hard to, since three of them have a very similar setting. One is about a half-demon warrior monk MC that left his temple in ruins that he was raised in to enter this monster arena fight-to-death tournament run by his evil demon lord dad, which he has no idea is his real dad yet and finds out his mom was a witch.

The other story, the MC was beaten and abandoned by his dad once thr dad found out his son was a half-demon and the mom a demon, attempted to kill both. The MC son survives, then years later the MC enters this death battle royale tournament run by his evil dad, to get his revenge.

The other story is about a half-demon/angel MC who was adopted by good parents. Then at a certain age, his adoptive family is murdered, his biological evil granddad discovers him and takes him in to be trained to get his revenge, only to later on be betrayed by his grandad, when he noticed his grandsons powers and wanted it for himself. After the MC flees, he also learns about his evil biological half-demon dad. Then the grandad and dad are both hunting after the MC for their own personal thirst for power.

I wish I could, but this is what's stopping me.

I was afraid they might think this.

I don't think Swank was being too serious. People only tend to assume writers are being autobiographical when sex is involved.

Anyway, I'm in much the same boat, as almost all my male MC's have been created or altered, for nefarious or misguided purposes, by a supernaturally powerful father figure. But no one who's read them all has said they're too similar (or not to me), and most don't seem to have even spotted the common theme.

don't think Swank was being too serious. People only tend to assume writers are being autobiographical when sex is involved.
Woah at least I'm safe then.

Anyway, I'm in much the same boat, as almost all my male MC's have been created or altered, for nefarious or misguided purposes, by a supernaturally powerful father figure. But no one who's read them all has said they're too similar (or not to me), and most don't seem to have even spotted the common theme.
I guess it can work after all. Then what can I do to alternate it a bit so it's not so much similar? Like the first two, the MC who left his destroyed temple he was adopted into then goes to enter this death arena run by his biological demon lord dad? Since his mom was some kind of demon worshipper/or witch, is there a way I can say the MC was created by some kind of ritual? Where the second MC story, he knew his mom, who was a demon. Before the dad tried to kill the MC as a kid. He was actually born from his mother's womb? Would this make those two stories very different?

Pretty much any story can be made to sound like any other depending on the details chosen to describe them. It depends on loads of factors. Different relationships with the MC's mothers would help, but I think one of the most important things would be differences in setting. If this is true:

three of them have a very similar setting

Then I'd work on making them as distinctive as possible.

Although there is nothing wrong in having stories the repeat characteristics in a main character, it can also be fun as a writer to push oneself to create an entirely different main character. How would a story progress if the main character had a quite happy and normal childhood and the parent's influence was not a factor?

The similarities in origin story wouldn't bother me as much as the fight tournament climax that seems to run through at least two of your stories. As a reader picking up your second book, I would probably think, "Another wounded son story that ends in a Mortal Kombat-style climax?"

As the others have said, don't be afraid to push yourself beyond your initial plots. Oftentimes our first ideas aren't our best. It's the third or fourth ones that are gold.

Last edited:
Different relationships with the MC's mothers would help, but I think one of the most important things would be differences in setting. If this is true:
The first one, the monk MC never knew his real mother, but eventually finds out. She would be an evil, demonic worshipping witch.

The second MC, who was left for dead by the dad, his mother was a demon and he knew her as a very young child, witnessing her death at the hands of the father and the father's attempt to kill him as well. She would be more neutral, maybe somewhat inheretly evil, if her duty was to eventually plan to sacrifice her son, once he hit puberty.

The third one, the MC who was adopted by two loving parents. The adoptive mother was full of kindness and gentleness, who he cherished. Having grown up with her, then the family murdered, including her, all taken from him at the age of fifteen. His real mother was an angel, he discovers later on.

How would a story progress if the main character had a quite happy and normal childhood and the parent's influence was not a factor
You mean create another MC, where it had nothing to do with the parents at all?

As a reader picking up your second book, I would probably think, "Another wounded son story that ends in a Mortal Kombat-style climax?"
It's a problem. I wish I could fix it. Maybe if I merge the first MC and second? But how can that work? After the dad kills the demon mom and child MC, the child MC survives, then found by an old master that takes him to a monastery to be raised and trained, then when the monastery is raided years later, the MC is the lone survivor who also accidentally killed the master and a few of his training members, then enters the death battle tournament for revenge? Is it too much?

the others have said, don't be afraid to push yourself beyond your initial plots. Oftentimes our first ideas aren't our best. It's the third or fourth ones that are gold.
Thank you, but I don't know if it's working :(

Last edited:
It's a problem. I wish I could fix it. Maybe if I merge the first MC and second? But how can that work? After the dad kills the demon mom and child MC, the child MC survives, then found by an old master that takes him to a monastery to be raised and trained, then when the monastery is raided years later, the MC is the lone survivor who also accidentally killed the master and a few of his training members, then enters the death battle tournament for revenge? Is it too much?
It's totally up to you, but yeah, that's one way of doing it- you could merge the characters into one MC who experiences almost everything from your two story ideas.

Or you could keep both characters but make one character older than the other, acting as a sort of mentor. They bond over their similar backgrounds, but their different personalities have them approach their obstacles in different ways, causing tension.

Or you could keep the books separate, but write one MC as a woman instead of a man. Or an alien. Or a cyborg who doesn't understand what magic even is.

Lots of ways to deal with this. Let your imagination run wild.

Is it a problem? Only if it stops you from writing. There are plenty of writers who go to the same well repeatedly.

you could keep the books separate, but write one MC as a woman instead of a man. Or an alien. Or a cyborg who doesn't understand what magic even is.
I always thought how cool it would be to have a story about an alien. Out of all three story ideas, which one sounds like it would be the most plausible with an alien?

Is it a problem? Only if it stops you from writing. There are plenty of writers who go to the same well repeatedly.
It's been stopping me :(

I don't know if this will help, but the follow are a pair of excerpts from one of Brandon Sanderson's lectures and they focus on one technique for creating characters. It's a total of 20-25 minutes and Mr. Sanderson is an interesting speaker to listen to.

Lesson 4 5/6:
Lesson 4 6/6:

I always thought how cool it would be to have a story about an alien. Out of all three story ideas, which one sounds like it would be the most plausible with an alien?
That's your call. It's your story. Pick the one that makes the most sense to the plot, commit to it, and then get busy writing.

I don't know if this will help, but the follow are a pair of excerpts from one of Brandon Sanderson's lectures and they focus on one technique for creating characters. It's a total of 20-25 minutes and Mr. Sanderson is an interesting speaker to listen to.

Lesson 4 5/6:
Lesson 4 6/6:
This might help! Can I use these ideas as a base?
That's your call. It's your story. Pick the one that makes the most sense to the plot, commit to it, and then get busy writing.
I'm getting closer to figuring it out, thanks. It's just hard to focus when I lack sleep and been neglecting my health :(

Back