Once more unto the breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droflet

I don't teach chickens how to dance.
I know I should give this a day or two to settle but ... dammit, Jim, I'm a writer not a ... oh, forget it.

Thanks to the chrons for their invalueable assistance (especially Boneman). This is hopefully a little closer to the mark. Note the word 'hopefully.'

As always any and all comments are appreciated. Gnaw away my friendly woodland friends.

UNCOMMON PURPOSE

The four grueling years at the Athenian Space Naval Academy, have transformed Nathan Telford into one of the most outstanding senior midshipman in the academy’s history. Together with three other midshipmen he is selected for a prestigious special cruise aboard the attack boat Truculent. He has reason to celebrate, as the ship will patrol the frontier with the Northern Quarantine Zone, the border with the Pruessen Empire. Nathan's long-awaited opportunity to extract revenge for the enslavement and death of his family is at hand. His carefully hidden hatred fuels his desire for combat against his despised enemy.

Nathan’s confidence is high for Truculent is a lucky boat, captained by a living legend who has written the book for sorties on the frontier.

But unknown to any of Truculent’s crew, the enemy has developed new weapon technology, which they wish to test against the best the Athenian navy has. A plan is set in motion to bring the Athenian attack boat Truculent and the Pruessen headhunter Picaroon into a testing conflict.

When Truculent’s deployment draws to an end she is summoned by a distress signal from the Francorum freighter Genevieve under attack by a headhunter privateer. The Pruessen ship, Picaroon, is little more than an armed freighter, and flees for the frontier when Truculent arrives. The urge to destroy her surges through Nathan. However, the enemy has abducted twenty-three civilians from Genevieve and under regulations Truculent cannot destroy the Pruessen ship before recovering the civilians.

After Picaroon's defenses are neutralized, a small marine boarding party attempts to rescue the civilians. But the new Pruessen energy-dampening technology renders the marines' weapons and combat ‘droids useless. Vicious hand-to-hand combat costs the marines a bloody price as they fight their way to an ignominious withdrawal.

Nathan and other midshipmen are exponents of Kendo and he jumps at the chance to volunteer his experience in the ancient art of two handed sword-craft. In a bizarre scenario where swords now replace their useless modern weapons the young officers prepare for battle.

When they return to Picaroon, an elite enemy force who had remained hidden ambushes Nathan and Truculent’s crew. Outnumbered and trapped, death seems the only outcome. With coldblooded ruthlessness Nathan harnesses his hatred and swordsmanship skills for a bloody clash against an enemy trained in the use of huge broadswords. Swords, axes, knives and even bows and arrows are the new benchmarks for success.

A massive final battle ensues and thanks to Nathan’s use of hastily improvised incendiaries they annihilate larger enemy force. Behind sealed hatches and double-ply internal shielding Picaroons remaining crewmen push their ship to the protection of the frontier. They know their safety is assured while five civilians remain aboard.

Although Truculent’s crew recovers eighteen of the twenty-three abducted civilians, five children are still missing. A naive young rating, having seen the male prisoner’s shattered ankles and the horrific sight of the pack-raped women, now understands why someone like Mister Telford hates the Pruessens so passionately. But their time aboard Picaroon has come to an end and Nathan’s team must prepare to depart. The most sacrosanct rule of the Athenian Navy is that no vessel may cross the border into the Quarantine Zone and risk returning with the dreaded Derwent Plague.

Having been a child slave of the Pruessen Empire, Nathan refuses to leave Picaroon without the children. Compelled by conscience Nathan disobeys orders and without hesitation his midshipman team joins him on his quest. In a frantic race against time, they find and rescue the missing children. They would bring a high price on the auction block and so remain unmolested. Nathan is buoyed by saving the children but is stunned to discover they have missed their rendezvous with the last departing landing boat. Picaroon has crossed the frontier and Truculent cannot follow to aid Nathan’s team.

Avoiding the remaining enemy patrols Nathan commandeers a headhunter landing boat and they flee toward the frontier. Safe in the knowledge that they cannot be attacked Picaroon pursues them. Truculent’s crafty skipper, detecting an enemy landing boat being pursued by the headhunter ship, deduces that no civilians remain aboard Picaroon, fires torpedoes across the frontier and destroys her.

In the process Nathan's landing boat is severely damaged. With vital air leaking from the flight deck, Nathan locks the main hatch sealing his team and the children into the safety of the cabin and pilots the craft back to Truculent. Only seconds from coming aboard Truculent the forward view-plate implodes. Nathan fights against freezing eyeballs and imminent unconsciousness to crash land the stolen craft into the narrow boat bay.

When he recovers, he finds the children and his team are safe. In an oddly cathartic sense the brutality aboard Picaroon has had a calming effect on him. I did not feel as he expected and as a close friend says: ‘Very often what you want is not what you need.’ The demons remain but Nathan senses an empowerment over them he has not experienced since he was a child.

Graduating from the academy at the top of his class, Ensign Nathan Telford looks forward to the challenges that await him in Fighter Training School.

First off, yes it's much better - I didn't comment last time cos Boneman had given it a good going over.

However, a few points I noticed.

I know I should give this a day or two to settle but ... dammit, Jim, I'm a writer not a ... oh, forget it.

Thanks to the chrons for their invalueable assistance (especially Boneman). This is hopefully a little closer to the mark. Note the word 'hopefully.'

As always any and all comments are appreciated. Gnaw away my friendly woodland friends.

UNCOMMON PURPOSE

The four grueling years at the Athenian Space Naval Academy, have transformed Nathan Telford into one of the most outstanding senior midshipman in the academy’s history. Together with three other midshipmen (in his class) he is selected for a prestigious special cruise (cruise sounds like a jolly round the bay in the saucy sue - assignment - mission maybe) aboard the attack boat (boat doesn't seem space based to me whereas vessel just about works IMO) Truculent. He has reason to celebrate, as the ship will patrol the frontier with the Northern Quarantine Zone, the border with the Pruessen Empire. Nathan's long-awaited opportunity to extract revenge for the enslavement and death of his family is at hand. His carefully hidden hatred fuels his desire for combat against his despised enemy.

Nathan’s confidence is high for Truculent is a lucky boat, captained by a living legend who has written the book for sorties (Either they are at war - so no need to hide his aggressive tendencies - or 'sorties' need to be reference to the past) on the frontier.

But unknown to any of Truculent’s crew (or anyone else presumably Athenians), the enemy has developed new weapon technology, which they wish to test against the best the Athenian navy has. A plan is set in motion to bring the Athenian attack boat (repetition) Truculent and the Pruessen headhunter Picaroon into a testing (trial conflict - maybe) conflict.

When Truculent’s deployment draws to an end she is summoned by a distress signal from the Francorum freighter Genevieve under attack by a headhunter privateer. The Pruessen ship, Picaroon, is little more than an armed freighter, and flees for the frontier when Truculent arrives. The urge to destroy her surges through Nathan. However, the enemy has abducted twenty-three civilians from the Genevieve and under regulations Truculent cannot destroy the Pruessen ship before recovering the civilians. (this is an odd regulation. Kidnap a few civilians and the galaxy is yours - IE not realistic. there will always be preferences but this sort of rule loses wars. A member of the ruling class or some other reason would be better or just the fact they can rescue them first even)

After Picaroon's defenses are neutralized, a small marine boarding party attempts to rescue the civilians. But the new Pruessen energy-dampening technology renders the marines' weapons and combat ‘droids useless. Vicious hand-to-hand combat costs the marines a bloody price as they fight their way to an ignominious withdrawal. (why woould there be hand to hand combat - presumably the other side still have working weapons and would mercilessly wipe out the boarding party)

Nathan and other midshipmen are exponents of Kendo and he jumps at the chance to volunteer his experience in the ancient art of two handed sword-craft. In a bizarre scenario where swords now replace their useless modern weapons the young officers prepare for battle. (Yes it would be bazaar. It would be like the scene from Raiders of the lost ark. As before why wouldn't the baddies just wipe them out - IE you need to explain why the baddies weapons are also useless)

When they return to Picaroon, an elite enemy force who had remained (where?) hidden ambushes Nathan and Truculent’s crew. Outnumbered and trapped, death seems the only outcome. With coldblooded ruthlessness Nathan harnesses his hatred and swordsmanship skills for a bloody clash against an enemy trained in the use of huge broadswords. Swords, axes, knives and even bows and arrows are the new benchmarks for success.

A massive final battle ensues and thanks to Nathan’s use of hastily improvised incendiaries they annihilate larger enemy force. Behind sealed hatches and double-ply (?) internal shielding Picaroons remaining crewmen push their ship to the protection of the frontier. They know their safety is assured while five civilians remain aboard. (why? the baddies were happy to attack a ship with civilians before)

Although Truculent’s crew recovers eighteen of the twenty-three abducted civilians, five children are still missing. A naive young rating, having seen the male prisoner’s shattered ankles and the horrific sight of the pack-raped women, now understands why someone like Mister Telford hates the Pruessens so passionately. But their time aboard Picaroon has come to an end and Nathan’s team must prepare to depart. The most sacrosanct rule of the Athenian Navy is that no vessel may cross the border into the Quarantine Zone and risk returning with the dreaded Derwent Plague. (this last sentence seems unconnected with the rest of the paragraph - and the consequences of the rule is unclear)

Having been a child slave of the Pruessen Empire, Nathan refuses to leave Picaroon without the children. Compelled by conscience Nathan disobeys orders and without hesitation his midshipman team joins him on his quest. In a frantic race against time, they find and rescue the missing children. They would bring a high price on the auction block and so remain unmolested. Nathan is buoyed by saving the children but is stunned to discover they have missed their rendezvous with the last departing landing boat. Picaroon has crossed the frontier and Truculent cannot follow to aid Nathan’s team. (seems a bit rushed)

Avoiding the remaining enemy patrols Nathan commandeers a headhunter landing boat and they flee toward the frontier. Safe in the knowledge that they cannot be attacked Picaroon pursues them. Truculent’s crafty skipper, detecting an enemy landing boat being pursued by the headhunter ship, deduces that no civilians remain aboard Picaroon, fires torpedoes across the frontier and destroys her. (not clear who is destroyed - but the logic is invalid, without some signal - Why couldn't it be the persuing ship that Nathan was on + since it's a landing ship who's to say who is aboard either ship - they could both be full of civilians)

In the process Nathan's landing boat is severely damaged. With vital air leaking from the flight deck, Nathan locks the main hatch sealing his team and the children into the safety of the cabin and pilots the craft back to Truculent. Only seconds from after coming aboard Truculent the forward view-plate implodes. Nathan fights against freezing eyeballs and imminent unconsciousness to crash land the stolen craft into the narrow boat bay.

When he recovers, he finds the children and his team are safe. In an oddly cathartic sense the brutality aboard Picaroon has had a calming effect on him. I He did not feel as he expected and as a close friend says: ‘Very often what you want is not what you need.’ The demons remain but Nathan senses an empowerment over them he has not experienced since he was a child.

Graduating from the academy at the top of his class, Ensign Nathan Telford looks forward to the challenges that await him in Fighter Training School.

I get the new weapon prevents energy weapons working on both sides, but without explaining how this is advantageous to the baddies - maybe they aren't so technologically advanced etc, it seems odd why you would put yourself in that position

Hope I helped

TEiN

Thanks TEiN for another great crit. You raise some interesting points that I will have to look into. It's all in the book you know, but I guess the trick is to get in down to two pages that make sense. Ta muchly.

Status
Not open for further replies.