Ernest Cline: Ready Player One

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I just finished this book today and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Congratulations Mr. Cline on a great debut novel. :)

Anyone else read it? What did you think?

I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm a gamer and grew upin the 80's , so I loved the references.

I finished it about a week ago. Even though I was raised in the nineties I still got most of the references. At the start of the novel I was scared he was going to complain about global warming and stuff for too long, but thankfully it focused on the story and didn't get preachy.

A real page turner, it was a lot of fun. Not a literary masterpiece, but a lot fun.

About halfway through and by golly it's exciting (even in spite of the huge amount of exposition and what are basically pages full of world-building notes). It's The Hunger Games for geeks. I'm not sure if it would appeal to anyone who didn't grow up as a sad nerd, er, I mean, person of specialized interests, though. It also strikes me as being a YA or teen book yet only adults would really appreciate all the 80s nostalgia, so a bit of a dichotomy (which doesn't seem to have done its sales any harm). I like the occasional YA book though, that youthful, aspirational energy makes a nice change from the decaying, withered husks of despair we become as adults.

Anyway, iz gud buk (so far).

I hear monsieur Spielberg is making it into a "moving picture" to be released next year (2018) so it will probably be everywhere then.

I finished it. I mean, I'm guessing everyone else already read it seven years ago when it came out and I'm just Latey McLateface over here but I can only add to the general chorus of approval. I haven't played videogames since I was a kid and I didn't think I would enjoy a novel about videogames but I did.

It is great fun. Just avoid his second novel which is complete pants.

Ready Player One is a great book IMO. I fear it might not age very well but as a contemporary novel it really is a rollercoaster ride.

It had a "cant put me down" hold on me whilst I was reading it and I was really drawn in to the character of Wade. I think there is definitely some scope for a Ready Player Two despite the story strands coming together fairly neatly. One of my fave reads of 2017.

Just read it myself. Only just stumbled across it. Enjoyed it - its got a lot of energy to it and likeability. I'm not a gamer or D&D - but I could follow that side of the plot - and he does reference movies I've seen - Monty Python, Ladyhawk...

It is great fun. Just avoid his second novel which is complete pants.

Would you mind saying why? I was just thinking of going looking for it.

His second novel is similar to, but not as good as, RPO. It uses the same sort of formula with copious pop/nerd culture references, but the characters aren't nearly as good and the story itself is rather thin. If you enjoyed RPO and don't mind being a little disappointed then give Armada a chance. If you want the same lightning in a bottle sort of experience, skip it and find something else.