LBL Review # 14-THE FINLESS DEATH and THE MAZE by Robert Ernest Vernede

Lobolover

Hello all you happy people.This is a review I have been wanting to write for quite some time, but personal matters have prohibited me. Now, however, It is time to review these two tales from "Port Allington Stories" (1920) .

The colection seems to be a posthumus publication, seeing as author Robert Ernest Vernède died in 1917, another literate gnawed up by the senseless war machine.The book apears to be a colection of marginal regional fiction acording to L.W.Curry. However, the entry of this book mentions three tales which are to be considered among the weird genre.Having read two, I think they serve as good enough antipodes to see what mr. Vernéde could "dish our".

To start of:

The Finless Death is a weird tale about a group of sailors who wander into a part of a sea dominated by "the finless death". As a story ,it is a bit shallow and slightly reminds us of the cheap B horror flicks concerning animals. The image of a small fish hoping into a boat and spewing mesmerising slime was good enough, but that small fishy moving a boat along "by some mysterious force" was slightly less credible. Over all, its a nice litle oddity.

The Maze is a much better story. It revolves around a tale of deciet set before the outbreak of peasent riots on the eve of the French revolution. The image of the revoltionary loosing his mind and runing around like mad inside a maze he cannot leave with the angered, yet seemingly powerless aristocrat, is an image well worth remembering and as a tale succeeds to a decree far deeper then "The finless death" ever did.

Overall, these litle odities are surely well worth reading, although as a good story I would recomend the second one.

Back