<<Spoiler Alert Involving ADWD>> Three Heads of the Dragon Updated with ADWD

Bazza

Watcher on the Walls
<SPOILERS BEWARE in case you missed the title of this thread. If you have not finished a Dance With Dragons beware reading further. You are forewarned.> <Also, this turned out to be very long...>

So I thought this deserved it's own thread...

Some quick background prophesies quoted from the series, courtesy of www.westeros.org/Citadel. We must remember though, and this was stressed to us often throughout the books, that prophesies are never wrong, but prophets are. They may be prone to misinterpreting what "may come" from what "must come"....

"The fifth room, finally, shows a man very much alike her brother Viserys, except that he is taller and has eyes of dark indigo rather than lilac. He is speaking to a woman who is nursing a newborn babe, telling her that the child's name should be Aegon and saying that "What better name for a king?". The woman asks him if he will make a song for the child, and he replies that he has a song and that "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire.". He appears to look at Dany then, as if seeing her, and then he adds that "There must be one more," and "The dragon has three heads."- House of the Undying

"
Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal." -Quaithe of the Shadow

So who are these individuals and why are they possibilities to become one of the three heads of the dragon? There are 4 likely Targaryens floating out there as I see it, and a host of mercenaries with Targaryen blood.

Daenerys Targaryen-
This is the obvious one. She's in the vision, Rhaegar directly looks at her when he says there are three heads. She birthed dragons. She finally ascended on Drogon into the skies to fulfill her destiny in ADWD as one of the three heads, I think that's clear.

Aegon Targaryen-
As many of us theorized, and some dismissed as a conspiracy theory, Aegon was alive after all. Switched at the last minute by Varys with a ruined babe draped in Lannister red, covered in brains and blood, whom no one wanted to look at and thus passed the cursory inspection. He's in the vision Dany sees in the cradle. Rhaegar surely believes that he is the prince that was promised, is one of the three heads, and that they need one more. He seems like a guarantee.

But what if he really isn't Aegon? Was he truly switched as Varys claimed? Dany is warned of a mummer's dragon by Quaithe. Jon Connington was utterly loyal to Rhaegar though, and in his POV he is utterly convinced that he is Rhaegar's son. But he wasn't there at King's Landing. Varys could have given him a ******* babe with blood descended from old Valyria saying it was Aegon. Varys's goal is the stability to the realm, a fake Aegon is as good as a real Aegon, especially if he were raised up among commoners as Varys takes great pains to explain to dieing Kevan Lannister. Maybe he was a commoner or byblow descended from old Valyria?

The evidence doesn't seem likely though, Rheagar was convinced of his son Aegon's true purpose as the prince that was promised throughout his life, as evidenced in Dany's vision at the Undying, and Aemon's comments in AFFC. But it's also possible that Rheagar mixed up Aegon with his second son, begat from R+L=J. Elia was sickly and frail, he was like to think Aegon would be his only son. Aemon was convinced along with Rheagar that Aegon would be The Prince that Was Promised, until Aemon heard about Dany stirring across the sea. He suddenly realized the prince that was promised was a female, not a male. Who was wrong? Aegon or Aemon? This is really for another thread, but I'm a firm believer that Dany is the PTWP, she was born amidst salt and smoke, and has the dragons. He can still be a head of the dragon and not be the prince that was promised of course.

Jon Snow-
An old theory, Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon. We all know of this one so I won't go into it. Yes he got stabbed at least 4 times, but we all know the red priests are very successful at bringing men back from the dead. And when he does come back, where will he go? Will he stay in the North? Will he travel south to join the Dragons for vengeance on his family? Or was he just stabbed a few times and pop back up as Lord Commander still?

My favorite new passage though:

"Some kings thought it right and proper to dispatch Kingsguard to serve and defend their wives and children, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins of greater and lesser degree, and occasionally even their lovers, mistress and bastards." - Ser Barristan - ADWD

Tyrion Lannister -

Yes, a joke we thought, one of the fringe crackpot theories circulating across the internet. See the following thread for its discussions.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/42812-why-say-tyrions-a-targ.htm

There has been plenty of evidence linking Tyrion to fire and dragons, but throughout the first 4 books, there has been nothing that could truly link him to being an actual Targaryen. ADWD finally brought a nugget making it a true possibility when it brought up the fact that a drunken Aerys voiced his desire of having first rights to Joanna, Tywin's new wife back at King's Landing. Did he follow through on that threat later that night? Is that why Tywin retired as Hand and marched back to Casterly Rock to nurse his hatred? Retiring as the second (first according to some) most powerful man in the realm doesn't really seem like him.

Another interesting passage:

"Dragons," Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros... "Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

Nameless ******* Targaryens
Ok so I added this one in here, a few names from the old books have been thrown around such as Darkstar and Aurane Waters who all had Targaryen blood in them. I don't remember who the character in question was, but one of the sellswords in ADWD (I think of the Second Sons, which had a history of employeeing a few Targaryen bastards in its midst, even founded by one?) took to the dragons really well. It was revealed that he had a drop of Dragon's blood which explained why he was able to work with them. So will only having a drop of Dragon's blood allow one to become a Dragon's head? Going back to the above passage, Moqorro sees Tyrion in the midst of both fake and real dragons. This may refer to the Second Sons, and that there may be some dragons sleeping in that mercenary company.

The Mummer's Dragon

So we have our possible dragons, I'm sure I missed a few. Who is the fake dragon? The only one we can rule out, if he is indeed a Targaryen is Tyrion. Since in Quaithe's warning, he was singled out as a lion, and not a mummer's dragon. We can know though, that whoever the mummer's dragon is, according to Moqorro, Tyrion has been in their midst.

My Humble Opinion
I think the heads are a toss up, but I think Jon will not end up as a head. He has no inclination towards fire and is too much of a northman. Dany needs a head now, not in 2 books. I don't think they'll meet up in time. I think the three heads are Dany, Aegon, and Tyrion.

I think the mummer's dragon is either Aegon or Quentyn. He was convinced he was a dragon, and Quaithe's quote could be interpreted that they are the same person "the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon". The rest of her prophecy, each of the arrivals was/will be separated by a comma "Soon comes the pale mare" (- the flux) " and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame" (- Moqorro and Victarion) "lion and griffin" (-Griffin and Tyrion, oddly enough Griff did not fulfill the prophecy) "the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon." (- Quentyn as the both of them)

The fact though that Griff did not arrive, may also meant that Aegon was supposed to arrive and be the mummer's dragon. So since they turned back, Aegon could still be the mummer's dragon, and Dany won't encounter him until she sails on Westeros.

Varys is the mummer, Aegon is his Dragon. He saved him, he hid him, he saw that he was trained and now he has unleashed him. Woe to all who dare oppose him. :)

Oh good interpretation Edd, I like it. He's not a fake dragon but, Varys's dragon. I never thought of it like that. So he's a true dragon. But Moqorro says Tyrion was surrounded by young, old, fake, and true dragons. Who are the old dragons and fake dragons? Will they travel to Valyria? Will they be found in Asshai? Or are these the bastards in Second Sons and Golden Company?

One thing we also seem to be forgetting is that Jon already has Ghost, and he repeatedly says that ghost is a part of him. I really don't think that he would consent to being torn away from ghost by becoming a rider of dragons.

Also think about this, if you took the locations of all the characters, Dany and Jon are, and have remained the farthest away from each other. It only seems logical that they come together for a final conflict to save westeros. The series is called a song of Ice and Fire. Dany is gathering her forces of soldiers and dragon riders. She is the fire. Jon is gathering the wildlings, and likely some of the northern lords, unknowingly being helped by Bran and Rickon. Jon is the Ice.

Also, in ADWD, we see a few moments where Dany appears to harbor a somewhat biased view of the starks, writing them off as the usurper's dogs. If these two are to come together, than who better to bridge the gap between them than Tyrion Lannister. The first character in the series that we Tyrion bonding with is Jon Snow, and it is appropriate that one of the ones he bonds with most towards the end of the series is Dany.
As we see Dany rule Meereen, we can see that she is somewhat struggling. She has good advisors, but she can't really be sure of their agendas. What she really needs is the kind of governing that Tyrion did when he served as hand of the king. Tyrion is really exactly what Dany needs, and also, tyrion has spent 3 books getting smeared by his family, and pretty much all of westeros (except for Bronn, Podrick, and perhaps Littlefinger) hates him. It would be a tremendous redemption for him to return to Westeros riding a dragon, and really, who doesn't want to see that?

One thing we also seem to be forgetting is that Jon already has Ghost, and he repeatedly says that ghost is a part of him. I really don't think that he would consent to being torn away from ghost by becoming a rider of dragons.

True Ghost is a part of him. His wolf dreams have been getting stonger. But it's not something he accepts. After tasting the blood of a fresh kill in his mouth, he states "No. I am not a wolf". Ever since Aemon advised him to "kill the boy" I think he has shunned these indulgences, paying less attention to his wolf than he used to. This is something Robb also chose to do, much to his demise.

TPTWP's song is a song of ice an fire. If jon is the prince that was promised I think he can be both wolf and dragon. Bran seems to be able to warg with anything, I think Jon has the ability to wary with more than one animal.

But, dragons don't snarl. They sing. Lions snarl, snarl and roar.

Also, if Aerys had had his way with Joanna on her wedding night, it wouldn't have done much to conceive Tyrion years later, would it?

I could buy Tyrion as a dragon-rider, but never as a Targaryen.

Oh good interpretation Edd, I like it. He's not a fake dragon but, Varys's dragon. I never thought of it like that. So he's a true dragon. But Moqorro says Tyrion was surrounded by young, old, fake, and true dragons. Who are the old dragons and fake dragons? Will they travel to Valyria? Will they be found in Asshai? Or are these the bastards in Second Sons and Golden Company?

Possibly Aemon. he was the only old dragon I can think of, and Tyrion did spend some time around him.

Possibly Aemon. he was the only old dragon I can think of, and Tyrion did spend some time around him.

Or, if not limited to humans, Tyrion quite literally made love in the room of some genuinely very old dragons. (Or dragon skulls, if you want to nitpick.)

Azzle, Welcome.

First, if you've not read through A Dance with Dragons, you must be careful. Most thread titles contain spoilers.

Second, I think Tyrion is a tremendous candidate to be a head of the dragon. He told Bran that he'd be as tall as anyone while on horseback... and Tyrion knows about being short... and I guess he's imagined himself as taller than the Mountain while on dragonback.

Bazza, I also personally believe, although no on agrees with me, that Tywin is not Tyrion's father. I believe that Aerys II had lusted after Joanna before she was wed and that he consumated his lust after her marriage... probably by force... physical, psychological, or political. I know people must be tired of me writing this, but I think Aerys was a sexual predator who fathered at least four other children besides Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys.

Theres a conversation between Jaime and his aunt at Riverrun in which she states that Jaime has a bit of something from different lannisters and is nothing like his father while she goes on to say that Tyrion "is Tywin's son" in AFFC.

Well, last book was called the dance with dragons.
So i figure the three heads must have featured largely in it.

Which characters where given the most chapters i wonder.

These are my educated guessed based on textual foreshadowing-

Jon Snow is the Song of Ice and Fire born of Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark. Ned promised to raise the boy as his own and not reveal his identity. That was the smear on his honor, the lie. Never once does Ned refer to the boy as his "son", but rather "of his blood". Jon will survive the stabs either through becoming a WIGHT (like Cold Hands who I believe is Benjen Stark probably), skin changing into Ghost, through Melisandre's techniques, or the Wildlings saving him before a true killing blow. He is one of the Dragon's heads (whether or not he will ride a dragon). I can see him sacrificing himself at the end of the series (especially if he is no longer in his regular human form). He is probably Azor Azhai with Longclaw being imbued with some special property. He'll probably ride Rhaegal if rides a Dragon.

Daenerys is either the Prince that was promised or Azor Azhai returned. Probably the former. She's the mother of Dragons and a Dragon Rider already. Seems pretty clear here. She rides Drogon. I can see her sitting the Iron Throne at the end of the series after defeating the Others.

Kraken's- The Greyjoys (especially Euron and Victarion with their horn)
The Lions- Lannisters
Griffins- Connington's
Son of the Sun- Quentyn Martell of Dorne
Mummer's Dragon- Aegon (Varys is the Mummer).
The Perfumed Seneschal-

Don't trust any of them.

So who is the third head? Dunno. Should be of Targaryen blood and someone we have already met in the series.

Unless, Tyrion is revealed as having some some of that blood (like from Mad Aerys), I think his role is far more likely as the person who figures out the whole prophecy. He always wanted to ride a dragon as a boy, and read all about them. But I think he has to have some Blood of the Dragon in him maybe? If does ride it will be Viserys. But seems hard to separate him from being a Lannister.

All the other players will have an important part it seems-

Arya is going to have to assassinate someone.
Bran will probably skin change into a Dragon at some point and also figure out Jon Snow's parentage via his eyes on the past in the Godswood.

Jaime and Cersei will probably both die (they came in together and will go out together) and all their children will die as is prophesied.

Whoever the Third head is, we've probably already met him or her.

Welcome, Stormblade. You've chose to dive right into the deep end, I'll give you that. I whole heartedly agree that we've already met all three heads of the dragon. Dany is the only undisputed dragon out there. With the mummer's dragon warning, we all harbor some doubts regarding Aegon... though this warning may end up being about one of the two other Targaryen-looking men who've disappeared from public view, Aurane Waters and Gerold Dayne. Personally, I take GRRM's public affirmations of Rhaenys' death and his public hemming and hawing regarding Aegon's death to mean that Aegon is alive. If so, then why would Connington nurture a fake Aegon?

Jon is another strong candidate, although I think he's Aerys' son, not Rhaegar's.

Aemon was still a candidate in the first half of the series.

Tyrion has always been a semi-strong to darkhorse possibility. And if Tyrion, then I also contend that Cersei, Jaime, Myrcella, and Tommen could be closet Targs.

I mentioned Gerold Dayne earlier, but what about his supposedly deceased aunt/cousin, Ashara Dayne. She looks like a Targ. Could she have royal blood? Could she be the mummer's dragon?

I fully believe that Aegon is exactly who Connington claims that he is... the only trueborn son of Rhaegar and Elia. At least one, if not all of the following, Varys, Connington, BFS, Ashara, Pycelle, and mayhaps even Doran and Mellario, can attest to this. Of course, Connington and Ashara are assumed dead... having two corpses attest for another corpse won't go very far under the law.

Do the heads all need to be Targaryen? I'm not certain that they must be. I think the Targs would prefer this to keep the bloodline pure, but the qualifying factor will be the candidates ability to communicate and work with a dragon. Quentyn proved the folly of not having skills with dragons. Of course, it is the very quality that the Starks possess that make them attractive candidates.

Bran will never leave the world wide root.

Rickon is very young.

Arya is quickly changing from a blood thirsty, hate filled, little killing machine into an amoral automatic assassin. None of these are good qualities for a queen.

Sansa. In my book, she's a strong candidate. Her warging abilities have never really been developed. But, I think, she gained the trust, love, and complete confidence of her wolf quicker than her siblings. Her wolf was the most composed and restrained of all the litter. That is exactly what Dany's dragons need! Plus, Dany interpreted Mirri's curse/prophecy to mean that she would be barren for the rest of her life. And if Dany is to be the ruling monarch of Westeros, then she'll need an heir. Either she adopts Aegon or someone else... or she needs a surrogate mother. If Aegon (or Jon or Tyrion, etc.) is the male and second head, then Sansa could be the fertile mother and third head. I don't know if Aegon will like Sansa, but Tyrion's already married to her and Jon has a definite preference for redheads.

And if Dany is barren (and her torrid affair with Daario leads to quick conclusions), then the other two heads must be male and female. If Sansa is not one, then who? Margaery, Arianne, and Asha seem like the most qualified political candidates. But what about Val (does she have a latent wildling warging ability?), Shireen (has her illness left her with any supernatural gifts?), Jeyne Westerling Stark (did she pick up any affinity for animals from Robb?), or Jeyne Poole (no comment)?

Well, last book was called the dance with dragons.
So i figure the three heads must have featured largely in it.
Kiwi, that is logical, no wonder I missed it. I assumed that two dragons were in the book... Dany and Aegon. Both are making major political moves to try and further their ambitions. But all three... I dunno how I did not think of this, but thanks for opening my eyes. So who do you think is the third? Tyrion? He made some moves for his political future. Jon? His defense of the realms has involved him heavily in northern politics. But remember, AFFC and ADWD were divided geographically, not chronologically... so what about Jaime? Sam?

Edit:

Kiwi, you can find the chapter titles for ADWD at the Tower of the Hand. As far as the main character contenders for head of the dragon are concerned... Jon has thirteen chapters, Tyrion has twelve, Dany has ten, Bran has three, and Arya has two. But if you include AFFC which is concurrent with ADWD, then you could add three more for Arya, three for Sansa and count up seven for Jaime. (Yeah, I know I'm the only one who thinks this is possible... and if it is true, could Dany ever reconcile with him?)

Last edited: