Game of Thrones HBO - Disappointments, discuss.

Renly and Loras (THE scene because it's the one that seems to have every one talking)

Ah ok. Wasn't sure if you meant that one, or the Theon and his todger one. :)

Mostly from me probably. I kept thinking to myself 'are we supposed to be able to see his thing?!' I have no idea what was actually spoken about in that scene!

So much for info-humping.

I'm beginning to wonder if at least one aspect of the infamous New York Times Preview/Review wasn't partly correct. (I'll leave others to work out which of her comments I'm thinking of. ;):))

I actually missed it, I was looking away at the time (ahem), but Mrs P. said virtually what you just said, about are we meant to see it.

It's not often that nudity goes that far....

I'm quite surprised that everyone seems to be concentrating on all the sex, the violence is pretty graphic in places and no one bats an eyelid.

When the Mountain decapitated his horse it was quite a good effect (I hope they didn't actually do a horse ;)) but quite shocking... and no one seems to be mentioning that.

I actually did the gasp and cover my face thing at the horse beheading. And at the Jory bit! I did mention it in another thread. There's so many threads on this it's difficult to know what's been said where and who by!

People are easily provoked. It wasn't that long ago that some people were getting very heated about poor Lady. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't more fuss about the horse.

Perhaps the L+R scene and, particularly, Theon's thingamajig were meant to head off criticism of that scene (puns not consciously intended, but what the hell).

My biggest complaint is that the writers are cutting out so much of what made the books a masterpiece, yet they find room to add scenes like Renly+Loras that, at best, were only slightly hinted at and have no bearing on the story. Some added scenes are fine because they take the place of narrative portions of the book that supply vital information, but this was not one of them.

The casting is spot-on perfect in some cases (Tyrion, Arya, Robert, Littlefinger, Varys, Viserys, Barristan, Bran, Daenerys), but others are nothing like what I expected (Renly, Catelyn, Lysa).

Renly is supposed to be the spitting-image of Robert when he was in his prime. Not even close...

Sean Bean is a fine actor, but Ned and Cat both look a lot older and worn out than I imagined them to be. Still, their fine acting has allowed me to accept them in the roles.

Gendry looks a lot older than 17-18. Lysa is supposed to be a pale and bloated former beauty. Gregor (The Mountain) is not nearly as massive as I expected. I imagined someone like Andre the Giant (7'4" 500 lbs). EDIT: I just checked IMDB, and this actor is 7'1", so he is big, but the camera isn't really showing that so far.

The Hound looks right, but hardly seems as mean, scary, and menacing as he is in the books. It is only much later when he reveals a softer side.

I agree with those who say Yoren is too clean. The actor playing Benjen Stark looks more like the Yoren I imagined.

Jon, Robb, Theon, and the rest of the cast are close enough that I can accept them in their roles.

I will continue to watch the show because I love seeing these characters come to life. But it kills me to see the writers butcher GRRM's brilliant work of literary art.

I actually did the gasp and cover my face thing at the horse beheading. And at the Jory bit! I did mention it in another thread. There's so many threads on this it's difficult to know what's been said where and who by!

Yeah, the violence is pretty in your face, but then it is part of the books. Of course reading something is not the same as seeing it.

(And the threads are completely confusing and tangled. Haven't managed to get GoT mixed up with Doctor Who, which could make an interesting juxtaposition)

People are easily provoked. It wasn't that long ago that some people were getting very heated about poor Lady. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't more fuss about the horse.

Perhaps the L+R scene and, particularly, Theon's thingamajig were meant to head off criticism of that scene (puns not consciously intended, but what the hell).

Ursa you couldn't not pun if you wanted to... and we wouldn't want it any other way.

Yeah, the violence is pretty in your face, but then it is part of the books. Of course reading something is not the same as seeing it.

Yeah and I remember there being violence in the books. And I watch shows like Being Human, which are extremely gory. So I kinda don't know why it shocked me so much in this.

Maybe because it seemed more real?

(And the threads are completely confusing and tangled. Haven't managed to get GoT mixed up with Doctor Who, which could make an interesting juxtaposition)

I would love it if the characters in GoT regenerated! :D

When the Mountain decapitated his horse it was quite a good effect (I hope they didn't actually do a horse ;)) but quite shocking... and no one seems to be mentioning that.

Also no one is mentioning the fact that someone likes to have sex with "fresh cadavers" or corpses at Littlefinger's place.Rather horrifying that someone needs to most likely be murdered so they can get their jollies.:(

My biggest complaint is that the writers are cutting out so much of what made the books a masterpiece, yet they find room to add scenes like Renly+Loras that, at best, were only slightly hinted at and have no bearing on the story. Some added scenes are fine because they take the place of narrative portions of the book that supply vital information, but this was not one of them.

Sooooo agree.

I guess I find it easier to turn a blind eye to the violence since its mostly true to the story. (easy to cover my eyes and plug my ears when I know what is about to happen ). Poor horsey
icon9.gif

Most of the scenes that I dislike have been added by the producers. So perhaps my particular problem is the lack of the character POV . Part of the intrigue is not knowing what is going on with Littlefinger/Varys/Viserys/ Theon etc... (Theon by the way I did not notice his full frontal shot in Ep 5, thank the 7 and the old Gods). I am loyal to the words written by GRRM since I know them off by heart. Finding the changes hard.

Hi Boaz
icon10.gif
I'm never too far (lurking y'know) .

Last edited:
I'm constantly thinking:

NOOOOO, that character is not supposed to say that. that line does not belong to him. That character would never have said those words in the book.
put those words back with the original character. Don't ruin the image of the other character.

Speaking as a girl, I'm disappointed that, if we were going to see men's dangly bits, that it had to be fugly Theon's. Why couldn't we have seen Jaime or Loras in the all together!

OK, I'll shut up now :D