Game of Thrones HBO - Disappointments, discuss.

I realize I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread, but there was a "thing" in season two that got me, and now in season three, there's another thing that has me downright irritated.

Season 2: Daenerys is one of my favorite characters. Yes, she's not the greatest by any stretch, but there's something about her. In the books, I'm always pleased to come across her chapters (until DwD where she seems to stall out for some reason). Now, I know that there are always changes made between books and film/tv. (I'm an amateur filmmaker myself.) So my issue is that throughout the whole of season two, Dany is just so passive. In the books, she's taking baby steps toward finding herself and becoming a responsible ruler, but she's actively taking those steps. (Obviously she seriously comes into her own in SoS/season 3.) But it seems like throughout most of season 2, she's just along for the ride. She's whisked here and there, passive with Xaro, and the whole "Where are my dragons!?" times a million seemed kind of ridiculous. In CoK, she willfully goes into HOTU to seek knowledge, not because something precious was taken from her, forcing her to action. That makes it reaction.

At the end of the day, it's a minor thing, and they've adjusted/corrected in season 3, but it was something that kind of annoyed me.

Season 3: What the hell are they doing with Sam? He wasn't a total loser that they've make him out to be, with Mormont's comment, "Did you get the ravens off?" and Sam shamefully shakes his head. In point of fact, yes, he did get the ravens off, almost all of them. He sort of failed to attach messages to most of them, but he did get them off. So he's not as inept as they made him out to be.

And Sam the Slayer! Sam who slew an Other! All the black brothers are impressed as hell, giving him praise and laud (which funnily makes Sam embarrassed, being heralded as some sort of hero, the antithesis of his own self-image). He's badass! Why they would take that away from him is beyond me, and it really bothers me. I like Sam, and this whole situation is what really makes him start coming into his own. As for the series...

"Dear Sam: You just slew an Other with your dragonglass dagger. You're the smartest one of the brothers, bar none (okay, maybe Aemon), so after you do some quality slaying and grab the girl to flee, get the damn dagger! Seriously bro? Really? Sincerely, Lily."

And on that note, Sam's the one who, while still with all his brothers, is all "Dragonglass! Dragonglass is the answer! Arm yourselves with all the dragonglass we have!"

Just my two cents.
Completely agree with all of this. I was so let down by the HOTU sequence and the downplaying of Sam. The Battle of the Blackwater almost made up for it. Almost.

The downplaying of Sam to do with 'Sam the Slayer' could well be addressed when he gets back. Nobody knows he has done that yet. Gilly will probably tell them all (although whether people believe her or not remains to be seen). He hasn't been treated well by Gilly though, which seems rather odd.

My biggest annoyance has been the lack of some of the characters. I understand why they don't have them, but I don't care. I WANT STRONG BELWAS!

The Reeds aren't what I thought either. Jojen is too big and bold, Meera hasn't had enough time to show how cool she is either.

Tormund is not Tormund. He's been pretty moody so far. Same with Mance. It seems they have removed much of the light-hearted aspects of the characters to ensure viewers know it's a serious show.

So....TRW finally aired last night. I haven't seen it because I'm overseas and have to wait for the DVD. But all my non-book-reading friends who watch the show are about to throw themselves off a cliff.

Season 3: What the hell are they doing with Sam? He wasn't a total loser that they've make him out to be, with Mormont's comment, "Did you get the ravens off?" and Sam shamefully shakes his head. In point of fact, yes, he did get the ravens off, almost all of them. He sort of failed to attach messages to most of them, but he did get them off. So he's not as inept as they made him out to be.

And Sam the Slayer! Sam who slew an Other! All the black brothers are impressed as hell, giving him praise and laud (which funnily makes Sam embarrassed, being heralded as some sort of hero, the antithesis of his own self-image). He's badass! Why they would take that away from him is beyond me, and it really bothers me. I like Sam, and this whole situation is what really makes him start coming into his own. As for the series...

"Dear Sam: You just slew an Other with your dragonglass dagger. You're the smartest one of the brothers, bar none (okay, maybe Aemon), so after you do some quality slaying and grab the girl to flee, get the damn dagger! Seriously bro? Really? Sincerely, Lily."

And on that note, Sam's the one who, while still with all his brothers, is all "Dragonglass! Dragonglass is the answer! Arm yourselves with all the dragonglass we have!"

Just my two cents.

I don't remember "Sam the Slayer" as this respected hero that you are describing. He was absolutely a loser in this phase of the books, and if I remember right, he had to be carried because he pussed out on the whole "March to safety" thing. Another brother died because of his weakness (not depicted like that in the show), and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in the books "Sam the Slayer" was a name that the other men called him to mock him because... they didn't believe that he had killed a white walker.

So....TRW finally aired last night. I haven't seen it because I'm overseas and have to wait for the DVD. But all my non-book-reading friends who watch the show are about to throw themselves off a cliff.

I'll pm you the way that I get show over here. (have to wait till I get back to the computer in my tent).

And the Neutering of Jon Snow continues...

Season two...Yuck. No build up, didn't get the Half hand really telling him not to balk and do everything they want.

And now he looks like a guy running away leaving a girl who just saved him by betraying everyone she knows..

Stannis has been my only disappointment. The books portray him as a man of honor - in many ways more than Ned since he refuses to flinch from his duties even if it is 'harsh.' Stannis in the HBO series is a much weaker man with blatant flaws. His one great point came at the Battle of Blackwater when he bravely led his men and was dragged off the field. I want more of that. I really hope he decides to not sacrifice Robert's ******* instead of Davos saving him.

I'm prejudiced on this issue because Stannis has grown to be one of my favorite characters in the books. He is more resourceful than Ned but is truly honor-bound and prone to reward loyalty. I love his monologues about not necessarily wanting the iron throne but seeing it as his right, especially after he's been shuffled aside by both brothers and the entire kingdom.

I think HBO improved on Theon and Robb's characters - but the latter only because we see him more often.

Stannis has been my only disappointment. The books portray him as a man of honor - in many ways more than Ned since he refuses to flinch from his duties even if it is 'harsh.' Stannis in the HBO series is a much weaker man with blatant flaws. His one great point came at the Battle of Blackwater when he bravely led his men and was dragged off the field. I want more of that. I really hope he decides to not sacrifice Robert's ******* instead of Davos saving him.

I'm prejudiced on this issue because Stannis has grown to be one of my favorite characters in the books. He is more resourceful than Ned but is truly honor-bound and prone to reward loyalty. I love his monologues about not necessarily wanting the iron throne but seeing it as his right, especially after he's been shuffled aside by both brothers and the entire kingdom.

I think HBO improved on Theon and Robb's characters - but the latter only because we see him more often.

not anymore we won't

I agree with you about Stannis. In the books he doesn't follow Mel so blindly and he never blatently consents to Mel murdering Edric, though it would seem that he did consider it for a time because he also never blatently said not to. I also just want Gendry to live.

I don't remember "Sam the Slayer" as this respected hero that you are describing. He was absolutely a loser in this phase of the books, and if I remember right, he had to be carried because he pussed out on the whole "March to safety" thing. Another brother died because of his weakness (not depicted like that in the show), and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in the books "Sam the Slayer" was a name that the other men called him to mock him because... they didn't believe that he had killed a white walker.

Point. It had been a while since I had reread that (which I just managed to do over the weekend) and you are correct on all counts. Though the black brothers do call him "Sam the Slayer" out of respect (while Sam keeps saying "Don't call me that") you are absolutely right that he pussed out on the March to Safety and Small Paul carried him, resulting in SP's death, and subsequent "wighting."

Thanks for the correction Tywin!

Some of the Brothers do call him "Slayer" out of genuine "holy crap, that was awesome" amazement, but there are many and more that use the term as a sarcastic insult. And yes, he was a total loser at this point -- it's kind of how he was able to fly under the radar and get everyone to back Jon as Lord Commander. So I'm not sure how (or if) the show will deal with the nickname, but they've accurately captured his current lack of a spine and self-worth.