Game of Thrones HBO - Disappointments, discuss.

Shouldnt we have seen Beric Dondarrion and the rest of the men that Ned sent after the Mountain ambushed and nearly slaughtered?
I liked Beric in the books, but feel the regular viewer will be really confused when they return later as the Outlaws.
Am I confused?:confused:

I was hoping for more than the fleeting glimpse of Beric being sent out to catch the mountain-he looked very nondescript, but I hope and expect that will change dramatically as his storyline developes...

SPOILER ALERT

Well I have just watched Season 2 - ep 3. Obviously fantastic series and great to see we have several lip smacking years to look forward to.

Few niggles for me, excessive sex scenes being a big one, amped up even more than season 1. (I know HBO bread and butter, but still! Not really necesary)

This completely alters the characters of certain mainstays to, Specifically Renly, Loras and his sister. The scenario which we are bashed over the head with was maybe hinted at in the book, but the series has really altered the books perception of these characters badly. Margaery is instantly portrayed as a schemer and a bit of snide character.

Introducing and ruining (for me) Stannis, he is proud and unbreakable in the books, yet in one scene all this is destroyed as he commits adultery for a potential male heir!? Did I miss something in the book!! Disappointing isn't the word.

Yet again some awful casting, Davos is stand out for me, all wrong. Maragery isn't how I perceived.

Also the general feel of age amongst most of the cast right from season one, this is a feudal world where people live by the sword, yet the overall age for the knights and warriors has them pitched at 40+ which to me is really out of kilter with the books.

The series is muddling event orders to it seems, to what end I'm not sure.

Beware Spoilers!
Introducing and ruining (for me) Stannis, he is proud and unbreakable in the books, yet in one scene all this is destroyed as he commits adultery for a potential male heir!? Did I miss something in the book!! Disappointing isn't the word.

I think this scenario was hinted at:
  1. The specific nature of Mel's means of disposing of those standing in Stannis's way suggested a particular means of initiating it.
  2. I'm sure the books mentioned that Stannis was weakened by the whole process, again suggesting more than just the giving of permission for the action.
Also the general feel of age amongst most of the cast right from season one, this is a feudal world where people live by the sword, yet the overall age for the knights and warriors has them pitched at 40+ which to me is really out of kilter with the books.
The adult parts had to be aged up because:
  1. At least some of the children had to be older, otherwise they'd probably have been asking questions in Congress about HBO's portrayal of child sex (consensual and otherwise).
  2. If the children have to be aged by x years, at least some of the adults would have to be aged by 2x years. This is because they too would have had to put off the consummating of their relationships until well after puberty, if only because to do otherwise would suggest that there'd been a major change in the attitude in Westeros to the age of consent.

I agree with you on the destruction of Stannis. In the book we get a long time to know who he is before we learn for sure his weaknesses. I do think in TV world these scenes had to happen, but I feel they happened too fast.

I knew that Mel's shadows came from Stannis (witness his weakening) but I never really thought it was sexual even though she was literally giving birth. That is in question now however. I am currently rereading ADWD and came upon this statement to Jon.
"The Lord of the Light in his wisdom made us male and female, two parts of a greater whole. In our joining there is power. Power to make life. Power to make light. Power to cast shadows."
As far as I know, there is only one way for male and female to join and make life!

Stannis's decision to do the horizontal shuffle to make a baby doesn't make any sense when I think more on it. The child would be a *******, so he/she wouldn't be a true heir. After all the focus on Jon Snow being a ******* and therefore not a 'real' Stark, you'd think the writers would realise the contradiction.

I know kings can legitimize bastards. Was the reasoning supposed to be that once Stannis was king, he would legitimize his own *******? Is that possible? I think a child in that situation would be treated even worse than Tyrion.

We know two kings who've offered some sort of regularisation (both of them for the same person, as it happens, and in one case this involved the promise of a throne and a crown). And we know one bannerman who's done it for their ******* (which may or may not have included dreams of royalty).

And while power doesn't necessarily come from a piece of paper - as Ned found out - it's a foundation upon which someone with command of other resources can build, if they have the desire.

What happened to The Mountain?! It looks like he suffered dysentery for the entire between seasons downtime. Bring back the old Mountain!

"SWORD!!!!"

What happened to The Mountain?! It looks like he suffered dysentery for the entire between seasons downtime. Bring back the old Mountain!

"SWORD!!!!"
I totally agree!!! I was so confused when they showed him on this wks episode!! The mountain from season 1 was perfect! I would never have guessed who this new one was if someone ( i think it was arraya) had said his name.

Stannis's decision to do the horizontal shuffle to make a baby doesn't make any sense when I think more on it. The child would be a *******, so he/she wouldn't be a true heir. After all the focus on Jon Snow being a ******* and therefore not a 'real' Stark, you'd think the writers would realise the contradiction.

I know kings can legitimize bastards. Was the reasoning supposed to be that once Stannis was king, he would legitimize his own *******? Is that possible? I think a child in that situation would be treated even worse than Tyrion.

The possibility of Stannis doing the mattress mambo was sort of implied in the book. Certainly Stannis had no use for his Queen. Stannis actually impregnating Melisandre would explain how she was able to give birth to the demon.

My biggest problem with last night's episode is that it was never explained wherwe Davos was bringing Mel.

The possibility of Stannis doing the mattress mambo was sort of implied in the book. Certainly Stannis had no use for his Queen. Stannis actually impregnating Melisandre would explain how she was able to give birth to the demon.

My biggest problem with last night's episode is that it was never explained wherwe Davos was bringing Mel.

I think where they are will be self explanatory when the shadow gets there, but for us readers there is no explanation because it is another twofer !! Mel didn't need Davos's help with Renly, he had to row her to Penrose. So we now know Edric Storm has been cut as well.

Blizzard in Denver. Going out with a friend to buy Season Two.

Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. If we're not back by dawn...

Call the President.

President?

The Night's Watch don't have a president; they have a Lord Commander (elected for a single term of unspecified duration).

;):)

Thank God (and the Romans) for term limits!!!!

I made it back with Season Two in hand. Of course, one of my neighbors got snowbound in the street so I could not just coast up into my parking spot and was forced to park on the street. Now I'm stuck and am sure to be plowed in... I guess I'm not going to work tomorrow... and it's a good thing I have Season Two to occupy my day.

Stay warm, Boaz! I ordered Season 2 on Amazon. I couldn't watch it on TV because I'm in Afghanistan.

Thank God (and the Romans) for term limits!!!!

I made it back with Season Two in hand. Of course, one of my neighbors got snowbound in the street so I could not just coast up into my parking spot and was forced to park on the street. Now I'm stuck and am sure to be plowed in... I guess I'm not going to work tomorrow... and it's a good thing I have Season Two to occupy my day.

That sounds like a very well thought out and executed plan. :)

enjoy season 2- again. Do the "extras" provided on the DVDs make them worth the buying?

Last edited:
That sounds like a very well thought out and executed plan.
To quote Ben Braddock, "No sir, it's not. It's completely baked. It's a decision I've made."

I'll let you know in a week or three after I've finished.

Just reread part of Tyrion scenes during the battle. and i found myself laughing at parts of the writers ingenuity. In the books Tyrion just got his squire Podrick payne, who has trouble saying anything. On tv, Tyrion calls for his squire and bronn answers you've got none. In the books gregor Clegane is present and Bronn says always follow a big man in battle, you can easily hide behind them while they make nice targets, on tv he tells Tyrion to make himself even smaller so that people will overlook him.Pure brilliance that.

I laughed out loud at all those parts in the series, absolutely brilliant to say the least! :D

I realize I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread, but there was a "thing" in season two that got me, and now in season three, there's another thing that has me downright irritated.

Season 2: Daenerys is one of my favorite characters. Yes, she's not the greatest by any stretch, but there's something about her. In the books, I'm always pleased to come across her chapters (until DwD where she seems to stall out for some reason). Now, I know that there are always changes made between books and film/tv. (I'm an amateur filmmaker myself.) So my issue is that throughout the whole of season two, Dany is just so passive. In the books, she's taking baby steps toward finding herself and becoming a responsible ruler, but she's actively taking those steps. (Obviously she seriously comes into her own in SoS/season 3.) But it seems like throughout most of season 2, she's just along for the ride. She's whisked here and there, passive with Xaro, and the whole "Where are my dragons!?" times a million seemed kind of ridiculous. In CoK, she willfully goes into HOTU to seek knowledge, not because something precious was taken from her, forcing her to action. That makes it reaction.

At the end of the day, it's a minor thing, and they've adjusted/corrected in season 3, but it was something that kind of annoyed me.

Season 3: What the hell are they doing with Sam? He wasn't a total loser that they've make him out to be, with Mormont's comment, "Did you get the ravens off?" and Sam shamefully shakes his head. In point of fact, yes, he did get the ravens off, almost all of them. He sort of failed to attach messages to most of them, but he did get them off. So he's not as inept as they made him out to be.

And Sam the Slayer! Sam who slew an Other! All the black brothers are impressed as hell, giving him praise and laud (which funnily makes Sam embarrassed, being heralded as some sort of hero, the antithesis of his own self-image). He's badass! Why they would take that away from him is beyond me, and it really bothers me. I like Sam, and this whole situation is what really makes him start coming into his own. As for the series...

"Dear Sam: You just slew an Other with your dragonglass dagger. You're the smartest one of the brothers, bar none (okay, maybe Aemon), so after you do some quality slaying and grab the girl to flee, get the damn dagger! Seriously bro? Really? Sincerely, Lily."

And on that note, Sam's the one who, while still with all his brothers, is all "Dragonglass! Dragonglass is the answer! Arm yourselves with all the dragonglass we have!"

Just my two cents.

Season 2: Daenerys is one of my favorite characters. Yes, she's not the greatest by any stretch, but there's something about her. In the books, I'm always pleased to come across her chapters (until DwD where she seems to stall out for some reason). Now, I know that there are always changes made between books and film/tv. (I'm an amateur filmmaker myself.) So my issue is that throughout the whole of season two, Dany is just so passive. In the books, she's taking baby steps toward finding herself and becoming a responsible ruler, but she's actively taking those steps. (Obviously she seriously comes into her own in SoS/season 3.) But it seems like throughout most of season 2, she's just along for the ride. She's whisked here and there, passive with Xaro, and the whole "Where are my dragons!?" times a million seemed kind of ridiculous. In CoK, she willfully goes into HOTU to seek knowledge, not because something precious was taken from her, forcing her to action. That makes it reaction.

I hated Daenerys in S2. And seeing as I'd just finished ADWD I wasn't super stoked about her as a character in general, and my hate was fuelled by that as well. Either Emilia Clarke, or the people behind the show, or both have made an improvement this season because Daenerys is now one of the best characters.

This season I'm super disappointed with Daario. I've mentioned this in at least two other threads, but I just can't get over the fact that he looks like a weird, thin version of Arnold Schwarznegger as Conan. It's fine that he doesn't have gold teeth and blue hair, but this? He will have the chance to prove himself with acting, and maybe I'll regret complaining later on but for now he's a huge letdown.

I was also on the whole VERY disappointed with the episode (not the last one but the one before it - S3E7) which GRRM wrote. Probably the worst episode of the season.