Sherlock (Steven Moffat BBC series)

Holy Mary, Joseph, Jesus and the whole fam-damily!

Yeah, I am very late to the party. I knew I'd love this. Moffat, Gatiss, Doctor Who-alike and MARTIN FREEMAN (loved him forever) but I think sometimes I hold back because I'm worried that it won't be as good as I'm expecting. And my expectations would be very, very high.

I bought the first series for my housemate cos she loves it. We all watched episode one on Sunday. Then the second that same day. Now I've just watched the third.

I love it I love it I love it.

More than Doctor Who. Truly. The scripts feel much tighter, probably because there aren't as many, much more concentration on the plot to make it as intriguing and arresting as possible.

I could quite easily watch all three episodes again, right now.

Luckily there's series two! Although I feel like I want to sit and think about how the cliffhanger will be resolved. That's the fun bit! I'm a very active viewer, so this...this is just a perfect programme for me.

Bloody brilliant.

It is bloody brilliant, i felt like this last year when i first saw it. Are you Holmes literary fan or are you one of those regular casual Holmes fans of other mediums like tv,films ?

Whatever type of fan you are the series writing,acting is good enough for us all.

I've only been watching this series for two weeks, thereabout, and I've watched almost all the episodes twice (except for the second one of the first series, I think that's been the weakest of the lot). Most recently is Hounds of Baskerville, which was brilliant, as usual. I watched it by myself, then the next day watched it with the housemates, and watching their reactions was brilliant. Really tense episode!

My favourite so far has been the final episode of the first series, though. I may have watched the last fifteen minutes, in the swimming pool, multiple times...

Because Moriarty has become one of my favourite characters, just from that scene. He is brilliant. So incredibly disconcerting. Everyone I talk to says how they expected someone older, more...in control, refined? Another Mycroft, in essence. So he just throws you right off.

And I only have the final episode to watch now (I actually know what happens at the end, but that doesn't spoil any of it) and I know it's pretty much all Moriarty -- and I. Can't. Wait.

(I also bought the box set off Amazon because I need all the DVDs in my hot little hands so I can watch them again and again and again...)

I watched 2 series in one day - that's the good part of being late. Absolutely loved everything and every minute of it! Does anyone have news about the next season? Are there any online petitions calling for Sherlock's prompt return and 12 episodes per season??

Series 3 is happening but they won't do more than 3 episodes per season. But they are 90 minutes long so you're getting the equivalent of 12 episodes anyway.

Indeed this series is even better than Doctor Who, and I never thought that was possible. I can't wait to have explained how Sherlock pulled that off.

Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss have been chatting to the show’s American fans about the Sherlock series 2 finale and what’s in store for series 3…

This story contains potential Sherlock spoilers.

Following the US broadcast of its season 2 finale on PBS, series creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss took to their keyboards to natter with US fans about all things Sherlock. Try as their interrogators might, neither would be drawn on an explanation for that ending, though a number of other interesting (and fun) nuggets did come up in the web-chat, which we’ve collected for you below.

On their favourite Conan Doyle stories

Qualifying his answer with “Today!”, Mark Gatiss named The Adventure of the Red-Headed League and The Adventure of the Bruce Partington Plans as his favourites (note that only the second of those has been used by the BBC series so far, in episode 1.3 The Great Game…), and Steven Moffat named The Adventure of the Speckled Band, to which we’ve only had a gag reference so far (“The Speckled Blonde”) in one of Watson’s blog titles.

On their favourite Conan Doyle antagonists

Gatiss named Dr Grimesby Roylott as his (which gives The Adventure of the Speckled Band two ticks so far in the ‘potential appearance in series 3’ column by our count), though added tantalisingly “Time for a Spider Woman, I think!”.

On their favourite nods to the Conan Doyle canon in Sherlock

Steven Moffat picked a Gatiss-scripted episode, naming “the dogging scene” in The Hounds of Baskverville as his favourite cheeky Conan Doyle reference in the series so far, while Gatiss opted for A Scandal in Belgravia’s, “I’m lost without my blogger” (a nod to the “I’m lost without my Boswell” line in the Conan Doyle story on which the episode is based), as his fondest reference to canon.

On their favourite comic moments from Sherlock so far

Moffat went for “Power complex from Scandal. But actually, that was Mark’s idea” referencing the line about Mycroft’s power complex as Watson’s car pulls up to Battersea Power station in A Scandal in Belgravia, while Gatiss went for a moment in The Reichenbach Fall, “I really love the bit in ‘Reichenbach’ when the judge warns Sherlock to keep his mouth shut and Benedict just takes a deep breath and there’s a hard cut to him going to the cells!”

On the funniest thing to happen on the Sherlock set

Moffat remembered, “Benedict fell over in that sheet. What was funny is that he went down, trapped arms, flat on his face. And everybody just laughed!”. For Gatiss, it was more of a bestial matter, “Probably the monkey in the Baskerville lab erm… pleasuring himself”.

On their plans for Sherlock series 3

Both were characteristically reserved on the topic of series 3 spoilers, with Moffat confirming, “Well yes, we have our idea, and our structure, and some of our surprises. But hush now, that’s for later. Very excited though.”
Mark Gatiss though, may have given slightly more away when asked if it was likely we’d meet Colonel Sebastian Moran in series 3, to which he replied, “We’ll see. Obviously. The Empty House is a good starting point…”. The Adventure of the Empty House, for anyone yet to place it, is the story in which Holmes reveals himself to Watson after years in hiding post-Reichenbach Falls, and an odds-on favourite for appearing in episode 3.1.

Other bits and pieces

Moffat told US fans he was “Killing [himself] on Christmas Who RIGHT NOW!!” when asked about writers’ block, and the showrunners’ favourite TV programmes of the last ten years were revealed as Doctor Who (well, obviously) for both, The West Wing and Breaking Bad for Moffat, and 30 Rock for Gatiss.

Cheekily, Moffat slipped in a line about Billy Wilder’s 1970 The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes being “the only genius Sherlock Holmes film”. Let’s hope Guy Ritchie’s feelings weren’t too hurt by that.

Our favourite moment though, was Mark Gatiss getting in on Moffat’s teasing game by signing off his end of the conversation with the following two messages: “As a nice surprise for our US fans, I can exclusively reveal that Sherlock faked his death by” […] “Oh God! We’re out of time!”.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/21405/sherlock-series-3-update

Thanks for the update. The last bit is funny, I can imagine the expression on Mycroft-Gatiss' sly face.:)

Series 3 is happening but they won't do more than 3 episodes per season. But they are 90 minutes long so you're getting the equivalent of 12 episodes anyway.

Yeah... 12 episodes per series is wistful thinking. Guess my enthusiasm was a bit over the top at the time.:p Seriously though by the great success of the series and the writers love for Conan Doyle I deduce there will be series 4, 5...

Steven Moffat & Mark Gatiss have been chatting to the show’s American fans about the Sherlock series 2 finale and what’s in store for series 3…

This story contains potential Sherlock spoilers.

Following the US broadcast of its season 2 finale on PBS, series creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss took to their keyboards to natter with US fans about all things Sherlock. Try as their interrogators might, neither would be drawn on an explanation for that ending, though a number of other interesting (and fun) nuggets did come up in the web-chat, which we’ve collected for you below.

On their favourite Conan Doyle stories

Qualifying his answer with “Today!”, Mark Gatiss named The Adventure of the Red-Headed League and The Adventure of the Bruce Partington Plans as his favourites (note that only the second of those has been used by the BBC series so far, in episode 1.3 The Great Game…), and Steven Moffat named The Adventure of the Speckled Band, to which we’ve only had a gag reference so far (“The Speckled Blonde”) in one of Watson’s blog titles.

On their favourite Conan Doyle antagonists

Gatiss named Dr Grimesby Roylott as his (which gives The Adventure of the Speckled Band two ticks so far in the ‘potential appearance in series 3’ column by our count), though added tantalisingly “Time for a Spider Woman, I think!”.

On their favourite nods to the Conan Doyle canon in Sherlock

Steven Moffat picked a Gatiss-scripted episode, naming “the dogging scene” in The Hounds of Baskverville as his favourite cheeky Conan Doyle reference in the series so far, while Gatiss opted for A Scandal in Belgravia’s, “I’m lost without my blogger” (a nod to the “I’m lost without my Boswell” line in the Conan Doyle story on which the episode is based), as his fondest reference to canon.

On their favourite comic moments from Sherlock so far

Moffat went for “Power complex from Scandal. But actually, that was Mark’s idea” referencing the line about Mycroft’s power complex as Watson’s car pulls up to Battersea Power station in A Scandal in Belgravia, while Gatiss went for a moment in The Reichenbach Fall, “I really love the bit in ‘Reichenbach’ when the judge warns Sherlock to keep his mouth shut and Benedict just takes a deep breath and there’s a hard cut to him going to the cells!”

On the funniest thing to happen on the Sherlock set

Moffat remembered, “Benedict fell over in that sheet. What was funny is that he went down, trapped arms, flat on his face. And everybody just laughed!”. For Gatiss, it was more of a bestial matter, “Probably the monkey in the Baskerville lab erm… pleasuring himself”.

On their plans for Sherlock series 3

Both were characteristically reserved on the topic of series 3 spoilers, with Moffat confirming, “Well yes, we have our idea, and our structure, and some of our surprises. But hush now, that’s for later. Very excited though.”
Mark Gatiss though, may have given slightly more away when asked if it was likely we’d meet Colonel Sebastian Moran in series 3, to which he replied, “We’ll see. Obviously. The Empty House is a good starting point…”. The Adventure of the Empty House, for anyone yet to place it, is the story in which Holmes reveals himself to Watson after years in hiding post-Reichenbach Falls, and an odds-on favourite for appearing in episode 3.1.

Other bits and pieces

Moffat told US fans he was “Killing [himself] on Christmas Who RIGHT NOW!!” when asked about writers’ block, and the showrunners’ favourite TV programmes of the last ten years were revealed as Doctor Who (well, obviously) for both, The West Wing and Breaking Bad for Moffat, and 30 Rock for Gatiss.

Cheekily, Moffat slipped in a line about Billy Wilder’s 1970 The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes being “the only genius Sherlock Holmes film”. Let’s hope Guy Ritchie’s feelings weren’t too hurt by that.

Our favourite moment though, was Mark Gatiss getting in on Moffat’s teasing game by signing off his end of the conversation with the following two messages: “As a nice surprise for our US fans, I can exclusively reveal that Sherlock faked his death by” […] “Oh God! We’re out of time!”.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/21405/sherlock-series-3-update

Nice, thanks for the post.

Can't wait for season 3.

I hope the wedding is not the short story that came up to my mind directly. I found that royal wedding story to be weak for SH.

I bought DVD season 2 on monday and i have seen only ep 1. The SH,Conan Doyle fanboy in me was thrilled, laughing when Sherlock took that digusie and was getting photographed with the famed public image.

Irene Adler story itself i thought was the best adaptation so far, it was more twisted,spy story like but Adler was done very faithfully and in an awesome way. The actress was perfect choice.

Thinking back to the fall, I'm imagining the great detective, lying crumpled on the ground, asking:
"Why didn't you break my fall? I've landed on the pavement."
To which the reply would be:
"No sheet, Sherlock."

Ursa, that's both appalling and fantastic.

Production has been put back on Sherlock series 3, it's being reported...

UPDATE: Sherlock producer Sue Vertue tweeted the following message this morning in response to the story: "To stop further speculation, #sherlock filming has pushed to Mrch for availability reasons. It's not expected to affect any likely tx dates"

Here's some melancholy news to head towards the end of November with. The original plan for Sherlock series 3 was to start shooting it in January 2013, with an eye on transmission at some point later in the year (summer had been speculated, but nobody was saying anything officially. Or unofficially, to be fair). However, it seems as though a delay has hit the return of the show.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that production of Sherlock series 3 has now been pushed back at least two more months to March, to work around the schedules of everyone involved. At the very earliest, that now suggests that transmission of the three new Sherlock episodes won't be taking place until Christmas 2013, and we wouldn't wager against following the new year's day premiere and January roll-out in 2014, either (it should be said that may have been the plan all along, of course).

In particular, Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch are tied up with other projects. Steven Moffat is hardly short of work, either, given his ongoing commitments to Doctor Who. And we wonder where this leaves director Paul McGuigan, given that he's attached to a new movie version of Frankenstein for Fox.

There's been no formal announcement from the BBC of any kind of transmission date for more Sherlock. At the very least, we'd suggest we've still got a year to wait, sadly.
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/23600/updated-sherlock-series-3-delayed

"Sherlock filming has pushed to March for availability reasons."

The actors have become hotter properties since this began. Benedict Cumberbatch is going to play Julian Assange in a Wikileaks film. He's also in Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Hobbit: There and Back Again. If you look at his IMDb page he has six films in post and pre-production and another different TV series. Apart from being a Hobbit, Martin Freeman is also busy filming two other 2013 movies.

The lack of availability of the actors (and Moffat) is the bigger problem. The unavailability of a director shouldn't be an issue: I doubt there's a dearth of directors who would want the job.

Are Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman getting too famous to return to Sherlock?

It's happened before. James McAvoy stepped out of TV's Shameless to play a Narnian faun never to return, Will Smith left Bel-Air for good to shoot aliens, and now that Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo in The Hobbit and Benedict Cumberbatch is playing the villain in Star Trek Into Darkness, could the duo also become too famous for telly?

Short answer? No. Not on your nelly. Speaking to Yahoo recently, Cumberbatch assured Sherlock fans that there's no reason the show "can't continue until we get too old".

Asked if he could ever get too big for Sherlock, Cumberbatch replied"I don't think that's a possibility because I love it too much. Making [Sherlock] is all about availability. Martin Freeman has the same kind of pressures on him now. It's a thing of quality not quantity that show - thank God. We started young with it. We started when they meet and we still are young for those roles. There's no reason why it can't continue until we get too old."
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/23879/benedict-cumberbatch-on-the-future-of-sherlock