Sherlock Holmes

I have a facsimile edition of his stories as they were printed in The Strand Magazine. The episodic presentation really makes the stories feel urgent.
As a young teen, on a school trip, I was lucky enough to go to ACD's home. It was a big rambling house that had been turned in to a hotel, that had not aged well. He wrote Hound of the Baskervilles [and others] there. The local myth is that he based events in the story on real places nearby to the house and then just scaled it up and move it to Dartmoor for dramatic effect.

I’m a massive fan of Conan Doyle—not just his Sherlock Holmes stories, but also his other, less well-known work. (Heck, my single favourite short story of his is The Los Amigos Fiasco, because it’s so obviously a supervillain origin story!) I generally manage to re-read the Holmes stories at least once a year—they’re always an entertaining read, even after I’ve read them so often.

I have a facsimile edition of his stories as they were printed in The Strand Magazine. The episodic presentation really makes the stories feel urgent.
As a young teen, on a school trip, I was lucky enough to go to ACD's home. It was a big rambling house that had been turned in to a hotel, that had not aged well. He wrote Hound of the Baskervilles [and others] there. The local myth is that he based events in the story on real places nearby to the house and then just scaled it up and move it to Dartmoor for dramatic effect.
Is that in Grayshott, in Surrey?

Is that in Grayshott, in Surrey?
Pretty much. His house Undershaw is by the old Hindhead crossroads. Another local legend/joke about how it was named, was because George Bernard Shaw live on the other side of the road and slight further up the hill. Hence under-Shaw.
I think it is a school now...

I thought so. I have also heard the Undershaw story. Some of my family lived a few hundred yards from there.

I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories: great yarns, well told. But am I the only one who finds the character of Holmes quite annoying? He makes the wildest of assumptions based on the flakiest of evidence, and is always correct. I'd like to see him try that in real life! And twee sayings like 'when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth' are really quite silly. Yes, I'm being pedantic and yes, I'll try to get out more.

I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories: great yarns, well told. But am I the only one who finds the character of Holmes quite annoying? He makes the wildest of assumptions based on the flakiest of evidence, and is always correct. I'd like to see him try that in real life! And twee sayings like 'when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth' are really quite silly. Yes, I'm being pedantic and yes, I'll try to get out more.
He is annoying sometimes. The BBC series developed that aspect of his character to good effect.

I never thought I would read Sherlock Holmes but as a gift I received a book of the Strand stories (with illustrations) and I read it cover to cover.
My favorite is the Red-Headed League.

At least until they publish the account of the giant rat of Sumatra. I think the world is almost ready for it.

I never thought I would read Sherlock Holmes but as a gift I received a book of the Strand stories (with illustrations) and I read it cover to cover.
My favorite is the Red-Headed League.

At least until they publish the account of the giant rat of Sumatra. I think the world is almost ready for it.

The world is ready.

Years since I read them but I have taken to listening to them translated into French as part of my learning the language by immersion and enjoyed them a lot more than I was expecting.

I also enjoyed his appearances in some of the Arsène Lupin (Le Gentleman Cambrioler) stories by Maurice Leblanc where he was renamed 'Herlock Sholmes' because Leblanc didn't want to get sued. The world's greatest thief vs the world's greatest detective. Sadly Leblanc made his version of Watson (Dr Wilson) an annoyingly whiney nitwit which spoils the fun a bit.

I read a few stories in a collection I used to have. I thought they were OK, but I think it's misleading to say Holmes's discoveries relied solely on deductive logic. It seems that he relies on booklore and intuition a lot, too. In some cases, I could clearly see his logic, but the Doyle sometimes withholds crucial details.

I read a few stories in a collection I used to have. I thought they were OK, but I think it's misleading to say Holmes's discoveries relied solely on deductive logic. It seems that he relies on booklore and intuition a lot, too. In some cases, I could clearly see his logic, but the Doyle sometimes withholds crucial details.
Which details?