King looking at a sequal to the Shining.

Mmmm.... Not too keen on the idea, myself, though (as I recall at a remove of more than 25 years) The Shining had some of his best writing here and there. I have attempted several times to read his "prequel" tale, "Before the Play" (if I recall correctly, an excised segment of the original novel), but each time I've found my attention wandering at the sheer pedestrianism of the thing.

I won't say it's a bad idea... I am sure it will sell well and, if he can pull it off, it may be a very good book; but I am rather less than lukewarm toward the prospect, nonetheless....

At least this will be from Stephen King himself rather than an attempt to recoup more money by making it a "Franchise".

My first reaction, upon seeing the thread title itself, was Nooooo.

And reading through the idea that King gives himself...Noooooo.

And to that idea that you've just said, Rodders...Definite NOOO and ARGH!

(Man, am I articulate tonight).

Love The Shining, leave it, it's great as a stand alone.

Mmmm.... Not too keen on the idea, myself, though (as I recall at a remove of more than 25 years) The Shining had some of his best writing here and there. I have attempted several times to read his "prequel" tale, "Before the Play" (if I recall correctly, an excised segment of the original novel), but each time I've found my attention wandering at the sheer pedestrianism of the thing.

I won't say it's a bad idea... I am sure it will sell well and, if he can pull it off, it may be a very good book; but I am rather less than lukewarm toward the prospect, nonetheless....

Well JD if you won't say it, I will.

It is a terrible idea.

Then again, it could be the most phenomenal, shattering, better-than-the-original sequel ever. Certainly this forum is proof that the public is not averse to sequels, prequels and what-have-you.

Maybe it won't be that bad. His new book, Under the Dome, has been getting quite good reviews. Perhaps this could be a return to form for King.

Anyway, if someone's going to ruin it, it may as well be King himself.

Mmmmm food for thought. The practical me says noooo Stephen don't do it cos The Shining was brilliant but the curious side of me would like to know what lasting psychological effects that hotel had on Danny.

Also Stephen very rarely lets me down

King always has a habit of returning to familiar old territory ; but a direct sequel? I'm not so sure

IF there WAS one , I'd like it to be a story from the past history of the hotel , rather than focussing on the adventures of the original protagonists.

Just what the world needs: For a new version of The Shining that incoporates Dark Tower type intrusions into the storyline. I can see it now. "REWOT KRAD" will be written in blood somewhere in the Overlook.

Well, he's been trying to alienate his readers for decades now. I suppose it's high time he go to the die-hards who love his earlier works the most.

I was talking to my son about the possible sequel to The Shining, he too would like to know what happened to Danny.

I'd say The Shining is definitely one of King's most famous works (eclipsed perhaps by It or maybe Carrie), and many people think of the novel when they think of King. To try and provide something that will be a direct sequel, a continuation, would create so much anticipation and speculating from fans that it'll be doomed to fail. Honestly, I think it'd be best to let a good thing stay as that, and not tamper with it.

I'd say The Shining is definitely one of King's most famous works (eclipsed perhaps by It or maybe Carrie), and many people think of the novel when they think of King. To try and provide something that will be a direct sequel, a continuation, would create so much anticipation and speculating from fans that it'll be doomed to fail. Honestly, I think it'd be best to let a good thing stay as that, and not tamper with it.

I'd say most people think of the movie when they think of King

I say let the man write, he's a brilliant writer, do your thing Steve.

I wasn't impressed with the the film in the first place. I thought Jack Nicholson went a bit over the top and the plot lost all credibility; never read the book, if there is one, the film ruined any chance of that.

So! I'd say don't bother Mr. King.

The original (film) was what it was. those that liked it will never accept someone else in the title role because despite what I said above, old Jack made the role his own.

Surely anybody with talent as impressive as Mr. King doesn't need to trawl through their back catalogues in this way.

Are we saying that as a species that's it. We've done everything. There's nothing more we can do to explore the genre of horror fiction/movies. It's all been done before so we may as well do it all again. If so we may as well just close the book. We should all apply ourselves to those other areas of fiction that haven't attained this pinnacle of human endeavour.

Might I suggest we turn our attention to historical bodice ripping romantics. we could always update it a bit and have the pirate as Captain of an inter stellar cruiser. After all, all that is required is that we have hero that is rugged and heartless and that at some point a bodice gets ripped.

This could easily be worked into the classic SFF tales. Strider would fit the bill perfectly and there's certaily plenty of bodices available to be ripped.

2001 would also benefit from a good bodice ripping scene. Maybe, with some clever rewriting, HAL's memory cards could take on the role the bodice. OK, so the computer would need to be called SAL and Dave would need a bit of stubble - minor detail.

Ah, man, I really recommend the book. The film deviated a far amount and completely changed the end. The book is possibly the only one I've read that brought out the goosebumps. There's a large portion in the book before they even reach the hotel which, as usual with King, delves into some deep, deep characterisation, especially with Jack. The family situation is explored so much more.

I'm sure he'll get around to writing this sequel eventually, just like him and Peter Straub will eventually get around to write the third Jack Sawyer novel.

Back