Dragon Age: Origins from Bioware now released

Rahl Windsong

Last of the Windsong Clan
Just thought I would give a heads up to the community here as Bioware has finally released their long awaited first installment in the Dragon Age series with the release of Dragon Age: Origins.

I have played through the game once and never before have I looked so forward to my 2nd play of this masterpiece of an RPG. It literally has everything from characters that are so well written that you really form strong oppinions about them, to epic battles where the outcome has an effect on the world and how it reacts to you and your party. Say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing and some party members will leave if they no longer have a high enough liking of your Player Character.

The main plot is somewhat normal for an RPG, where there is an evil force and you have to stop it, however the stories, sidequests, and the downloaded content (which costs extra) really make this game an epic experience in terms of the single player RPG. Once again Bioware has lived up to their name as the best story tellers in the gaming industry, this game actually had me misty eyed in parts of it I was that into it as I played through the first time.

I highly recommend this game!

Also once your game is registered you can download the toolset. Now for most of us this toolset is something we may never use, however as with almost all mainstream Bioware games that come with a toolset these games tend to take on a life of their own after the Official storyline is completed.

Once the modders in the community start to get their hands on the toolset that is a completely new story, literally. In NWN2 I have found player made mods complete with voice acting that are as good or better then any of the professional mods from the developer, or third party developers. The Dragon Age lore is vast and detailed the one thing missing is a complete listing of exactly how everything works. For instance when I swing my sword or cast a spell how do the magical qualities calculate into the hit? That type of info seems to be lacking right now but I am certain the modding community will publish that part of the manual as soon as they discover it with the toolset.

Anyway my first playthrough was a elven male rogue with a city elf origin, and I have to say some of the battles in this game will forever be firmly etched in my mind as some of the best RPG battles of all times, especially if you play on some of the more difficult settings. It is just like the old Baldur's Gate games where you can pause combat any time you want/need to, to issue new orders to your party, the battles are very tactical even allowing you to use terrain as cover.

Now I have a human mage that I am playing as my next playthrough and the Origin story was completely new so all of the origin stories are new the first time you play them and I believe there are 6 of them total.

The game is also available for download on Steam and all the other download sites most likely....

enjoy! :D

Hey Manarion, when you are in the city map click n and that should bring up the world map. If not then you have to complete some quest before you can go back into the world. Keep exploring!

Yup, this is an excellent game. Ironically I haven't actually finished the main story yet but I have completed the 6 origin stories with the City Elf, Dwarf Noble & Mage origins being my favourites respectively.

The Dog thing seems a bit of a rip from Fallout 3 but if you're going to steal you may as well steal from the best. Definitely a game worth getting and I'll be interested to see what the modding community turn it into as it was already quite similar to LoTR in terms of design and content so that would be the easiest tweak to begin with.

Yup, this is an excellent game. Ironically I haven't actually finished the main story yet but I have completed the 6 origin stories with the City Elf, Dwarf Noble & Mage origins being my favourites respectively.

The Dog thing seems a bit of a rip from Fallout 3 but if you're going to steal you may as well steal from the best. Definitely a game worth getting and I'll be interested to see what the modding community turn it into as it was already quite similar to LoTR in terms of design and content so that would be the easiest tweak to begin with.

Sadly the dog usually stays in my camp in DA. I wish they would have made it so the dog can come along as a pet for the PC then I would take it with me every time.

SPOILER AHEAD.....

At the very end of the game it was very sad for me cause all of my party members were there, well except for the assassin elf I forget his name just now, but he turned on me and tried to kill me and my party near the end of the game, though I killed him and moved on. However at the end your dog is there but not clickable and the PC just wants/needs to be able to pat his head and say "well done boy" or something like that. I was so pissed off that my dog was the only one I could not interact with at the very end....

Got this game at the begining of Dec on Steam.

I have been looking for a game to get me back into the RPG world and since the Dragonlance game I had on my Amiga, haven't found one (that includes Baldurs Gate).

All I can say is this is not only the best RPG game I've played, but also one of the best games full-stop. I bought the deluxe version so had the red armour, rock character mission, the Warden's mission and a couple of magic rings etc. The only one I was a little disapointed with was the Rock mission (and that was only because by that time I had settled on me, Alistair, Zevran and Morrigan). The only character I didn't have the choice of was Stern, as I messed up that mission.:mad:

Great game!:D

Ive been playing this on the PC im really enjoying it, the gameplay is good and i really like the stories, so much so that i've played through most of the intro sections.

My only problem is that i have two characters, on one i have recruited everyone but the Dalish, on the other character i have recruted the Dalish but no one else. I can't work up the motivation to do the dalish on my first character and so cant progress through the game.

The dialouge choices are brilliant, they seem to have come along way since mass effect. They are not the generic good bad choices which i was expecting which is good.

<spoiler alert> if you don't want the Dalish... try to recruit the werewolves then....its VERY difficult to do tho

Just finished Demon's Souls and finally (after buying this 2-3 weeks ago) put Dragon Age in.
Haven't started it yet, stuffed up my character creation.

SPOILER!

I absolutely loved it, got a bit addicted though... I had ALMOST completed it as a mage, then found out that if you're in a relationship with Alistair, he dumps you when he becomes king unless you were a human noble to start :( So I had to start again cos that just upset me too much. Yes I am cool, what about it?

Hehehe.

Alistair was a useless, whiny idiot. (Female characters I made, for a lark, got Zevran-the one character I won the game with had Morrigan, though originally tried for Leliana. What a disappointment THAT was!)

Love Dragon Age, completed it and Awakenings :)

Gets too easy with 3 mages though

I need to go back and try it with a rogues, elf and warrior etc, just spent too long on it lately that I can't justify getting my other chars up to speed, I created one of each background and will play them all out at some point

finding the motivation to finish all the characters you can start is so hard sometimes.

3 mages makes it a cake-walk. but playing as a rogue is also fun, since it means you can bench Leliana... gods i loathe her.

I loved Alistair... he's my favourite character in DA:O. i didn't find him at all whiny, everything he says, pretty much, you have to ask him to say, and those few things he does just say are entirely justified in the context of where and when.
His Banters are some of the funniest in the entire game... though Zevran has by far the best banter with every character... but especially Oghren and Wynne.

I never use Oghren and Wynne. The only mage I keep in the party ever is Morrigan. I usually go with Morrigan, Lel, Zev, and main char. Sometimes I'll switch to the war hound if I have him.

And as for a mage, well....hahaha. My mage is stuck in the Void after the Abomination in the mage tower sent us there.

Leliana is the most annoying character in the game. unless your a rogue yourself, she's almost mandatory for the party to unlock chests. but her voice, her mental issues, the hypocrisy of the "lay sister of the chantry" judging you when she was what she was/is what she really is... and that accent... i love a french accent, but give me a decent one anytime PLEASE.
Arlessa Isolde, annoying as she is, has a fantastic voice and accent.

Really enjoying playing with Sten on my last play through, trying to complete it with no mages when not necessary :)

I just traded Alistair for the dwarf Og-something and he has a supped up enchanted hammer so I don't think I'm going back.

Question: You know all those stones you can find that seem to have powers? How do you use those? Is there a skill like the herbal and poison ones? I'm running a Mage, Dwarf, Assasin and the Witch, wow I really suck at names and it seems I have the witch doing most of the work. Good idea Tansy, It would be lots of replay fun to do without mages. I wonder if you could do the game with a party of 2 or even 1.

You can learn Rune craft, i believe it is one of the skill sets, or find a dwarf or mage who can make them for you id you have blank runes

I've used the healing, poison and rune skills but I just couldn't figure out how to use the crystal like rocks, they seem to have properties. I'm sure there's some skill that I haven't looked up.

Hey I just confirmed that the witch Morrigan is voiced by Claudia Black. I never got too deep into Farscape but I knew enough to recognize that voice. Also Captn Janeway is in the credits and I'm pretty sure I heard Tuvok as the leader of the Elves. FUN.