Philip K Dick favourites?

I've only read 16-17 of his novels...
LOL. Try saying that of most other authors with a straight face.:rolleyes:

For me, it would be a toss-up between A Scanner Darkly and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Excellent novels, both.

Me too. Keanu was surprisingly animated.:p

Sorry. Couldn't resist that...:D

Oh dear, oh dear.... ... .. .

Got a giggle from me.

The rotoscoping (sp?) worked really well, sort of how a PKD world should look and feel.

Yeah. I remember seeing the trailer and wondering just what Linklater thought he was doing, but it really does work. Along with Blade Runner (which was more an inspiration from the book than an adaptation from it), it's up there with my faves.

I havn't read any yet but I have just purchased A Scanner Darkly and The Divine Invasion.

Started a short book the other day (Philip K Dick Reader I Think?). It was like the reading equivalent of watching the best episodes of the Twilight Zone. Each one had a little twist at the end that frequently came out of Left Field (ironic, for those not raised with baseball as a way of life). Great stuff that been on my mean to read list for years. The last four in the book have been made into movies that I've seen.

So far, I've only read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and "Ubik". As much as I liked the movie "Bladerunner", the book was better. It seemed like some of the concepts in "The Matrix" were drawn from "Ubik". Wanna read "Man in the High Castle" because I'm also a fan of alternate history. "Scanner Darkly" is on my "To-Read" list.

I really didn't like Man in the High Castle. Though it was the first PKD novel I read. Some 12-14 novels and 100+ short stories later, I confess, I need to read it again. Scanner Darkly I have in my to read collection (along with some 6 other PKD novels)

Castle is different from the rest of his books in that, naturally, its researched and consequently a bit more planned. I think that shows at times in that, though it can be a lot more coherent that his other books, there isn't that sense of Dick's brain being truly let off the leash.

I agree. It was a lot more regimented than most of his works it still had the mysticism that is so common with his works. It was the first of his novels I'd read. I feel that Castle and VALIS are what could be called the deep end of Dick's writing and not a very wise starting point :)

I just finished reading "A Scanner Darkly". That was just so sad, particularly the end. Great book.

A sad PKD book ? Thats really surprising ;)

Well, yes compared to the only other two PKD books I've read to date: Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. What happens to Arctor is very sad and tragic but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Well, yes compared to the only other two PKD books I've read to date: Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. What happens to Arctor is very sad and tragic but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Well i havent read The Scanner book yet but the 5,6 PKD books i have read have all been depressing,sad specially in the endings,for the characters.

PKD books always leave me in a gloomy mood. After that they tend get stuck in my mind for days,i go through what actually happened story,ideas wise.

Do Andriods Dream Electric Sheep ? was my first and a good read but very simple for a PKD.

I've joined this forum mostly because of a new found fascination with pk dick's novels and the man himself. I have read 10 or so of his novels now (and btw I read 4 or 5 in a row twice, so I concur with the theory). My favourites have been Scanner Darkly and Clans of the Alphane Moon.

All of them are so thought provoking, though.

I found Second Variety from the 1950s to be a neat story, tho the ending was a little confusing.
second+variety.jpg