Philip K Dick favourites?

A Scanner Darkly. For some reason Ubik was ... ugh it just makes me shudder sometimes. Not my favorite novel.

VALIS was the great shudder for me. I really enjoyed Ubik, it was very much a standard adventure/sci-fi novel that really did a great job of keeping me hooked.

I haven't gotten around to reading A Scanner Darkly yet. Though I've had a copy in my collection for some 6 months or so.

I've encountered a number of people (myself included) who discover PKD and then go into a feeding frenzy over his books, ie- reading four or five in quick succession and not reading anyone else's stuff during that time. I've never encountered that with any other writer.
After that, you're happy to read Dick but the consuming fever has cooled down.

But I haven't read any author's four or five books in quick succession either.

Theory safe.

I've encountered a number of people (myself included) who discover PKD and then go into a feeding frenzy over his books, ie- reading four or five in quick succession and not reading anyone else's stuff during that time. I've never encountered that with any other writer.
After that, you're happy to read Dick but the consuming fever has cooled down.

I definitely fit into the category you described. I read around 7 PKD books in a row. Then thought I really should read something different :)

I havent read 4-5 PKD in a row but he is my top 3 SF authors and i can read him whenever i feel like. The feeling hasnt cooled down. He still makes me think about his stories,characters months after.

I havent read more than 4-5 because i wanted to give others a chance too. But soon enough i will read 6-8 in few months.

I haven't read one of his for a while...must remember to line up one of his books next month...

Yay! The theory's a good'un!

hehe

I may just start up reading some PKD again. I still have A Scanner Darkly, Our Friends From Frolix 8, Galactic Pot Healer and Dr Bloodmoney in my collection to read.

I once worked in a bookshop and one day this guy came in. He noticed my copy of Flow my tears... and I asked him if he'd read much Dick. He said yes, he'd read 40 of his novels. 40!

He was quite an odd chap- warped by his reading, perhaps- and I half expected him to say 'I am alive and you are dead' or something and then disappear in a cloud of substance D.

I don't think I could read 40 PKDs and come out the other side sane. I'd have to intersperse such a marathon with copies of Bridget Jone's Diary to act as a kind of reality-ballast.

Hehe normally i would say thats hyberpole that you cant read too much of an author because of his style but i think deep down i havent read more yet becaus they are usually depressing stories,specially the endings.

You can read 10 Heinlein Juvies in a row but 10 PKD no no no.....

Also i plan to read and own all his 40+ books,collections. Even the ones that arent genre fiction.

I will eventually read all of his novels. I am kind of looking forward to reading his non sci-fi novels as well, though in this part of the world they are quite hard to get.

Who knows, Diggler? Maybe in a real PKD-like twist, that guy who came into my bookshop years ago might be you a few years from now after you've read all Phil's books!:eek:

I'm already half way there... Well that's what my wife claims :D

Speaking of PKD, Bruce Willis actually seems to look a bit like PKD in his new movie Surrogates. Coincidence or homage?

Galactic Pot Healer is a personal high. Enjoyed The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch as well. All his work has given me a little something new, although, I've only read 16-17 of his novels and very few shorts.