Searching for a book

WizardofOwls

King of Typos
I'm looking for a book I recall having many moons ago. I always intended to read it but now that I am actually ready to do so, its gone. :( I cant find it anywhere.

All I can recall about the book is that its cover depicted a druidess and a male Roman (can't recall if he was a centurion or a gladiator or what) standing back to back. That's it. That's all I remember.

It is possible that the druidess is a prisoner of the Romans, and the (Centurion?) has fallen in love with her and is trying to help her escape? This just came to me, so it could be accurate or it could be WAY off base.

I think it was published in the late 70s-early 80s timeframe, but I cant be absolutley positive about that.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
WizardofOwls

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the cover and the 70's-80's time frame, I would say it sounds a lot like The Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

They do sound alike, but I am sure that's not it. I recall that the cover was very well done. The Roman guy, if I recall correctly, looked like he might have been done by one of the famous body-builder artists, like Boris Vallejo. He has his sword up as though preparing to fight off enemies. And the girl, even though she was described as a druidess on the back of the book, was dresssed in a short white toga. I think she was also in a defensive stance as though preparing for a fight. At the very latest, the book may have come out in the mid to late 80s, but I am sure I had it before the 90s.

Thanks for trying, but neither of those is it. The druidess and the roman are on the same cover, back to back as though anticipating a fight.

For some reason it reminds me of the Casca books, looking over the covers on Google just makes me realise how many there are though without providing confirmation.

For some reason it reminds me of the Casca books, looking over the covers on Google just makes me realise how many there are though without providing confirmation.

I looked up Barry Sadler in Fantastic Fiction and there were no book covers matching the description given. I've haven't given up looking for it, though.

I did a google search for Centurion and Druidess and found a picture of such a couple, but something tells me it's not the couple you remember:

http://unusualhistoricals.blogspot.com/2010/09/guest-author-christina-phillips.html

"He was a master of seduction--but no match for the magical allure of the woman he wanted most...

Carys knew from the moment she first spied on Maximus in his naked barbarian glory that he was a dangerous Roman centurion--his taut, battle-scarred flesh marking him as a fearless warrior. But her desire for him was as undeniable as it was illicit.

Charged by his emperor to eliminate a clan of powerful Druids in Britain, Maximus never expects his mission to be thwarted by the clan's ethereal princess, Carys, his daring voyeur. Falling under her spell, he doesn't realize her true heritage--until he captures her heart as well as her body."

Thanks for the attempt, but that's not it either. On the cover, the two were back to back with weapons drawn as though preparing to face attackers.