The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard

Regarding "The Right Hand of Doom and Other Tales of Solomon Kane" Wordsworth edition:

It does in fact have all of the complete Solomon Kane stories and additionally contains the story fragment: "Death's Black Riders" (which is presumably completed by someone else?) as well as a couple of the poems. That's certainly comprehensive enough for anyone but a completist.

There is Del Rey version that has bio info,all fragments,illustrations that REH fans tend to stay away from cheap paperback versions like Wordsworth version.

Also actually Right Hand of Doom has only 8 stories of 9,1 fragment of 5.

Its not bad if you want cheap try out of REH but its not for the fans.

I'm far from completist who will get all REH books,limited editions for $100.

Although the price is too good specially for REH newbies.

Connavar
Also actually Right Hand of Doom has only 8 stories of 9,1 fragment of 5.
I'm not sure why you say it only has 8 out of 9 of the full stories? Looking at the contents page here on Amazon, it would appear to contain all 9.

Only one of the fragments but quite frankly, I'm not bothered about those (nor the illustrations). Certainly I would not think them worth paying over three times the price for.

I use Howardworks.com like many fans to see the contents for all books with his stories. They are more correct than Amazon.

I dislike illustrations myself at least when its fully illustrated books with pics on every page. The book is right for you but most other fans i know collect Del Rey,Bison;Wildpress books. They are more complete.

Myself i dont usually read fragments but i like reading other critical,bio info that appear in the new popular collections of his stories. They have great editors like Rusty Burke who fill in other info, letters to his friends etc

I use Howardworks.com like many fans to see the contents for all books with his stories. They are more correct than Amazon.
It's not Amazon itself, but they have that "Look Inside" feature which allows you to see some of the actual pages including the contents page. That definitely lists all nine of the complete stories.

Then that's good for you to get complete Kane. I have to recommend you dont get stuck with his S&S heroes like Conan,Kane,Kull.

This topics Horror story collection is as highly rated as the Conan stories by me. Thats why i haven't read more than two Kane stories so far. I have been sidetracked by his horror,historical crusade stories.

Pigeons From Hell superb story by Howard. It was adapted for the horror anthology tv series Thriller which was hosted by Boris Karloff.:)

Doesn't look like Howard's been done for some time, but I just got a book of Conan stories called THE COMING OF CONAN THE CIMMERIAN and I found him to be an author of rare poetic talents which he uses in his prose with a fantastically evocative effect that makes reading his work a real enjoyment in spite of all the murder including the murders committed by Conan. I was thinking as I read, here's an outstanding writer of fantasy from the early years, but today he couldn't get anything printed in a magazine, probably, because of this poetic style and his poetic use of words.

Doesn't look like Howard's been done for some time, but I just got a book of Conan stories called THE COMING OF CONAN THE CIMMERIAN and I found him to be an author of rare poetic talents which he uses in his prose with a fantastically evocative effect that makes reading his work a real enjoyment in spite of all the murder including the murders committed by Conan. I was thinking as I read, here's an outstanding writer of fantasy from the early years, but today he couldn't get anything printed in a magazine, probably, because of this poetic style and his poetic use of words.

Had he lived another 40 or 50 years , I think would have abandoned fantasy, science fiction and Horror and probably focused on Westerns and Detective stories . But im thinking that 1950's and 60's he would come back the to their three genres. Imagine what he might have come up with had he lived.

There was quite bit of Horror in his fantasy stories as well.

Worms of the Earth is a masterpiece yeah but it seems like that it overshadow too much other great Bran stories like Kings of the Night among REH fans. A story i thought was almost as great, also had one of the best battles i have read in fantasy.

Robert.E Howard is the biggest reason for my taste in similar fiction, other older authors. He opened the flood gates made me think if a guy from the 20s,30s pulp era is this great why not others. Thats the reason i have read Le Fanu,Hodgson,Dunsany and many others.

The Complete Solomon Kane by Baen along with Kull is my next purchase of REH. I would prefer new copies but im allergic as you know against fully illustrated.

Worms of the Earth is by far one Robert E Howard's best stories.

In Kings of the Night , you have three of Howards pulp heres together in one story . Bran Mak Morn, King Kull and Cormac Art . Its a great story

I very hight recommend Bran Mak Morn The Legion From the Shadows By Karl Edward Wagner This book is wonderful continuation of Bran and in its won right is it a terrific fantasy novel.:cool:(y)

"The Horror From The Mound" was the first of his horror stories I read, still pretty good!
P.S. This is now available on audio on You Tube, am trying to write this while wrestling with my cat, she can get very affectionate at times!

Last edited:

Back