The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard

AE35Unit

]==[]===O °
I just found this on the sfsite front page. Anyone read these?(Conn, you like these?)

Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan the Barbarian, Solomon Kane and other memorable characters, has such a reputation as a master of heroic fantasy that it's easy to forget that his huge production includes a number of strong, colourful horror pieces. Never a refined stylist, he displayed an energetic and vivid type of storytelling also in his horror fiction which tends to feature brave, strong-willed men fearlessly facing alien forces and evil creatures.
reviewed by Mario Guslandi
http://www.sfsite.com/03a/rh291.htm

REH's "Pigeons From Hell" is a classic horror story and shouldn't be missed. "The Dead Remember" is a great shocker from the Old West and has the considerable cachet of first appearing in Argosy, the literary lightening rod for pulp writers in the thirties.

I've read the Solomon Kane stories, the Werewolf stories, and "The Haunter of the Ring" and they were all good. I may have read some of the others mentioned in the review, but the titles don't seem to be ringing any bells.

However, I've just bought The Black Stranger, and Other American Tales which has many of the same stories. I bought a book by Manly Wade Wellman at the same time, and that's my current reading, but when that one is finished I'll start working my way through the Howard.

It sounds like I should start with "Pigeons from Hell," even though it's not the first story in the book.

It sounds like I should start with "Pigeons from Hell," even though it's not the first story in the book.
Well it's certainly an acknowledged masterwork of horror fiction. Slightly surprised you didn't know about it.

I've had that book of horror stories by Howard for a couple of months already...surprised?...;) BUT am yet to read it. I think J.D,. may have read it though.

Over and out....:)

I knew about this collection and i must say its a interesting one storywise. I dont know why i dont have it yet...

I see Solomon Kane stories, all his stories arent horror right ? I knew he was different from other REH heroes but not that his stories was horror.

A) No, not all of the Kane stories are horror; like nearly all of Howard's heroic fantasy, there's a strong horror element in many of them, but it isn't always the predominant theme; and some of the Kane tales lack even that.

B) No, I've not yet read the collection, though I've been thinking I ought to go ahead and move it up the list a bit. While I have read most of these over the years, there are several I haven't yet had the pleasure.

As to the review... I can't agree with some of his assessments -- I would hardly call "The Hoofed Thing" "excellent"; in fact, I'd say it's one of Howard's weakest attempts in that vein (though it has an interesting idea or two which have since been picked up on by others). But, overall, I'd say it looks like a very good selection of his horror tales, as well as a hefty number of heroic tales with a strong element of horror....

A) No, not all of the Kane stories are horror; like nearly all of Howard's heroic fantasy, there's a strong horror element in many of them, but it isn't always the predominant theme; and some of the Kane tales lack even that.

I believe I've read all of the Solomon Kane stories, and one reason I like them is because they don't all of them fit in the same bag, so to speak.

I would agree that Solomon Kane is one of the best characters Howard developed. Apart from Conan he is my favourite Howard character. I've got the complete stories and poems of Solomon Kane put out by Del Rey.

Like JD I need to look at reading the Del Rey editions of Solomon Kane and Horror Stories sooner rather than later. I'm afraid I'm currently on a South American - Magic Realist reading spree, so it will have to wait a little longer.

Im wondering if i can find these horror stories in Wierd Works Volumes by Wildside Press
?
Since they are suppose collect his Wierd Tales stories. His horror must have been realesed in Wierd Tales.

I saw this collection is a Del Rey book and that i can only get if i dont have a choice.

Well, looking at the stories listed, it would appear that there's a lot of overlap with Wordsworth's The Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales which I am reading through at the moment. Additionally, the Wordsworth edition also contains "Skullface" which the Delray collection lacks. Given that the Wordsworth edition is only £3 (I don't imagine the Delray edition will be anywhere near as cheap as that), I think you are better off going for that instead.

Well, looking at the stories listed, it would appear that there's a lot of overlap with Wordsworth's The Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales which I am reading through at the moment. Additionally, the Wordsworth edition also contains "Skullface" which the Delray collection lacks. Given that the Wordsworth edition is only £3 (I don't imagine the Delray edition will be anywhere near as cheap as that), I think you are better off going for that instead.

This collection has many more stories. Its like a complete collection of his horror. Hunter of the Ring is cheap but not enough of stories for my taste.

Plus J.D let me know Horror of REH stories dont have as many illustrations as other Del Rey which is good news for me.

This collection has many more stories. Its like a complete collection of his horror. Hunter of the Ring is cheap but not enough of stories for my taste.
Well, it does have less stories in, true. But the Delray edition is hardly complete either (by it's own admission).

Well, it does have less stories in, true. But the Delray edition is hardly complete either (by it's own admission).

No it is not complete but Del Rey doesnt have a real competion when its the amount of horror stories of REH they collect.

I can get westerns,Solomon Kane,historical fiction of his from other publishers but there is no other big horror collection than Del Rey.

I dont like their annoying need to have so " Fully Illustrated" books and the lack of good another choice is the only reason i will get this collection.

Don't forget some of Howard's Lovecraftian horror tales concerning his fictional book of Unspeakable Cults written in German by Von Junst. Pigeons From Hell will always be my favorite.

Don't forget some of Howard's Lovecraftian horror tales concerning his fictional book of Unspeakable Cults written in German by Von Junst. Pigeons From Hell will always be my favorite.

I tried reading REH's Lovecraftian tales but they are boring,uninteresting compared to his own stories. I will read them eventually but i jumped above them when i read the collection a short story after another.

Im not a fan of HPL style and the last thing i want to read is a tamed REH, lacking the stark fear that even HPL hailed in that famous qoute that always end on any REH cover blurbs.

Funny how REHs writing style in those stories read like some 19th century british horror author.

I just read quite a tale that sent shivers down my spine; "Graveyard Rats". Turned out in the end that there wasn't anything supernatural going on but quite a gruesome story nonetheless...

I just read quite a tale that sent shivers down my spine; "Graveyard Rats". Turned out in the end that there wasn't anything supernatural going on but quite a gruesome story nonetheless...

Henry Kuttner's first published story ( in WEIRD TALES) was called "The Graveyard Rats". Is this the one you just read or did REH also write a story with the same title?

Henry Kuttner's first published story ( in WEIRD TALES) was called "The Graveyard Rats". Is this the one you just read or did REH also write a story with the same title?
This one was definitely written by REH. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to determine whether it's another story with the same title...

Yep. Two different tales, two different authors, same title.....

Thank you.:)

And for those quivering on the edge for more information, I just checked Glenn Lord's invaluable "bio-bibliography of Robert E. Howard", THE LAST CELT, and "Graveyard Rats" first appeared in the February 1936 issue of Thrilling Mystery.

Last edited:

Back