Parental influence ?

Leto

Outside
Ok, just roughly in the middle of the Hidden Stars (hope I'd have more time to read lately), I'm not requiring spoilers but I've already have two questions for the author :

Why did you focused so much in relation between parents and adult child ?
And how did your own education influenced you to produce this story ?

Thanks,

Interesting questions ...

I have noticed that more and more I'm writing about relationships between parent (or parental surrogate) and adult child, but I really don't know why that is. I don't think I'm carrying around any major unresolved issues on that point, but perhaps I'd be the last one to know. Family interactions just interest me, and I suppose with all those orphaned protagonists out there I feel like indulging that interest makes my work a little bit different.

My formal education ended after a year of college. Since then, I have been immersing myself in books on history, culture, mythology, magic, alchemy, and other related fields. There is no doubt that all of these obsessions show up in my work.

True, that's a nice change from regular fantasy book.
Magic & alchemy ? Where ? ;)

I don't see any resemblences between my characters and my flesh- and-blood children, but that's not to say that they're not there. I will say that I made an effort not to consciously use my children or anything about them in my work, so as to respect their privacy and spare them embarrassment, but things can creep in unconsciously, of course.

It might be interesting to ask my (now adult) offspring if they see themselves in anything I've ever written ...

Back