Wordworth Tales Of Mystery & Supernatural

Well, my copy of Oliver Onion's "The Dead of Night" has arrived and I was suprised because it's quite a large volume. 657 pages with 26 stories. Should give me a good sampling of his ghost stories I hope...

I would certainly think so, in which case you should be in for a treat. I have various of his stories in anthologies, but only volume I have entirely by Onions is the Tartarus Press omnibus of his Ghost Stories.

And you probably regret it now seeing how many wordsworth books you could get for the same price :p

Or....any books for that matter !

Oh and I realy wanna know when they are doing the Wakefield they promised last year . Granted they were realy nice and aditionaly gave me out a prize I missed to colect (that's how Malpertuis by Jean Ray , Smallcreep's day by Peter Curell Brown , Fires Burn Blue by Caldecott and the Sarban Omnibus (by no ways complete but a prety huge thing anyway) got into my hands for absolutely nothing ) , but it has been a dreadfully long time and I heard nothing on this . And seeing this volume could bring about a period where all interested parties can go out and read his work , and not a small select fiew , those who can afford expensive inter library loans and those resigned to reading one or two odd stories features in anthologies , it's kind of a let down .

Heck while I will admit having the original "They Return at Evening" in my hands and reading it through in only two sittings was quite exhilirating , stil the 300 crowns I had to pay for the international library loan to get it out of america equaled to me getting three or four Wordsworth titles , shiping included !

And if I include nearly as much for travel expenses (by train) I could have well gotten five or six books , and maybe even much much cheaper .

Yet it was stil worth it . Wakefield deserves to be brought to the reader's atention .

Now only if "Ape's Face" were reprinted by Wordsworth or, given it being in the public domain , were uploaded for all the world to see , we would be making......visible progress .

Unfortunately the man from Australian guteberg told us they never even saw any of Fox's books so......

Last edited:
Actually, no, I don't regret it at all. This collects together all his short macabre work, along with some very good scholarly material and a portion of one of his essays on the ghost tale. It is also simply a beautiful book to boot, and built to last a looooong time; something which cannot be said for the Wordsworth pieces. (There is also my reluctance to send much money their way, given Davies' practices as I understand them and of which I have seen a few examples.)

I am, however, very glad to see Onions more easily available than he has been for some time....

Well, my copy of Oliver Onion's "The Dead of Night" has arrived and I was suprised because it's quite a large volume. 657 pages with 26 stories. Should give me a good sampling of his ghost stories I hope...
Darn...my bookstore hasn't got that one in yet. Meh....:( Still it certainly sounds like it's going to provide a good selection of Onion's work.

I've just finished "The Beckoning Fair One" and it was very good. It has that ambiguity that I think every good ghostly tale should have.

*** SPOLIER FOLLOWS ***

Was Oleron just losing his sanity or was there a ghostly influence overwhemling his will?
In the case of the former, Oleron must surely have murdered Elsie but even in the case of the latter perhaps he still actually was behind all the physical harm that fell upon Elsie? Was it his will that was the catalyst for ghostly action or was the ghostly will the catalyst for his action? Or was it neither, that his life's energy was merely fed upon by the ghost who both willed and effected the harm?

If anyone has read this already and cares to share their interpretation with me, I would be very interested on their take.

Had to go and reread this to refresh my memory. (I hadn't read it in 15-16 years, and the last time I did was during an extremely stressful period in my life... not the best time for creating durable memories of any non-essential material....)

*SPOILERS*

I think you have it right there. I don't think he himself killed Elsie, and I do think the ghost there is quite real... though we are left with some ambiguity on that point. Yet, when one considers that the ghost is, essentially, his "new" Romilly, while Elsie was the "old" Romilly, that he is, even if unconsciously, responsible for what happens to her seems quite certain. This may also have much to do with his reactions at various points to her various misadventures, including the foggy response when he hears what he thinks is her voice calling his name at the point where the ghost must have killed her. There is also the possibility that that ghost is herself (or itself) the production of his own mind... not in the sense of madness, but that some force may have been given that particular form by his own creative, artistic process concerning his novel. However, the song (suggested by the dripping of the water, which indicates an exterior... personality?... at work as well).

The following is from Jack Sullivan's Elegant Nightmares:

"Another example of this self-recoiling vision is Oliver Onions' "The Beckoning Fair One," a marvelously conceived story of a novelist who falls in love with his unfinished, ultimately murderous female creation. Onuions, like Yeats, identifies ghostly experience with the world of art, a world both ecstatic and demonic. The Beckoning Fair One represents the final triumph of the imagination, the subjective fusion of "joy" and "terror"; neither can be separated from the other, for both belong to the unified "category of absolute things." When the narrator submits to The Beckoning Fair One, he also, unfortunately, submits to the loss of his sanity, becoming, as much as the expected other ghost, a deranged spectre who lowers all the blinds and haunts his own house (much as Brydon later does in Henry James's "The Jolly Corner")."

This, on the other hand, is from The Penguin Encyclopedia of Horror and the Supernatural:

"Onions's ghostly fictiuon is characerized by psychological realism and an unusual elegance. A prime example is the superb, "The Beckoning Fair One,"a long piece from the collection Widdershins (1911). It is the story of Paul Oleron, a writer of some note, who, while working on a novel, is haunted by his own heroine. But there is more to the tale than this: in a superbly rendered blend of fantasy and reality, Oleron's personality begins to disintegrate, almost in the manner of a psychosis. His closest friend, Elsie, senses the evil in an old house Oleron rents, and is eventually murdered by the spirit haunting the place. Art itself becomes a supernatural phenomenon when Oleron submits to "the beckoning fair one," the woman of his art, who is in the "category of absolute things." This multileveled work is also a tale of psychic vampirism, as Oleron's character feeds on him and hungers for his sanity. In another sense, it is a story of gradual mental deterioration, the quintessential psychological ghost story, cited by Lovecraft, Blackwood, and others as one of the most subtle in the literature."

That bit about Lovecraft, however, seems dubious, as I don't recall any mention of Onions' story in his letters, and Onions is entirely without mention in Supernatural Horror in Literature. This may not be a case of Lovecraft intentionally scanting Onions, but the fact that, even as early as 1926-27 -- when the essay was originally written -- Widdershins was already a scarce volume and frankly unknown to many afficionadoes of the field, much as Hodgson -- another writer of the same period -- had become.

I don't know why I haven't been posting in this thread, since I have many of the books in this series, and have read many more of the stories in other editions.

Anyway, I'm currently reading Night Shivers The Ghost Stories of J. H. Riddell. I've had it for a while, but for some reason I'm just getting around to reading it.

The Introduction by David Stuart Davies asserts that critics of the genre consider that she produced some of the best ghost stories ever written. I'm not sure I would go that far, but I'm really enjoying the collection. The stories are all so different, one never knows what to expect.

"Sandy the Tinker" is one of the most chilling stories I've read in a long time, but in contrast there is the pathos of "Walnut-Tree House." "A Terrible Vengeance" impressed me, too. (I wish it had a better title! The story has some distinctive features, worthy of something less generic.)

Thanks for you input J.D.. I appreciate your insight but you needn't have interrupted your busy reading schedule with a re-read of this (not particularly short) story for my benefit!

Well, let's just say I moved this particular tale of Onions up a bit in the schedule (though I will probably reread it along with the rest of his tales later on....)

Honestly, though, I have a great fondness for this story, but I just hadn't read it in ages, though I kept meaning to... your post simply prompted me to push it a little; and it isn't that long....

Still waiting on a copy of the Onions collection to arrive here...SIGH. I'll add my 2C worth once it arrives.

J.D.

I've had some more thoughts about "The Beckoning Fair One" and it seems to me that it is perfectly possible to interpret the story in a completely non-supernatural way, and that Oleron developed schizophrenia. Spolier's follow:

He becomes less and less aware of the passage of time as the story goes on, experiencing greater lapses of time in which he has no memory. From the moment that Oleron becomes piqued that Elsie "should dismiss with a glance the place he himself had found so singularly winning", he begins to try both consciously and unconsciously to drive her away (although he later rationalised to himself that he was doing it for her protection). When his other personality was in control of his body he may well have laid traps against Elsie such as the rough nail in the window box and a weakened floorboard on the stairs. Eventually his other personality was driven to murder Elsie. There is also the seemingly overly strong reaction by the Barretts to certain (unspecified) behaviour in the house that might be explained by Oleron's behaving erratically and strangely.

An interesting take, and one with some merit. I question whether the Barrett's reactions would be against that or, given Mr. Barrett's obviously puritanical streak, indications of there having been in the house a female of "less than proper" attitudes -- such indications being, perhaps, as slight as the signs of a woman having been present at "indecent" hours and the like.

Still, Onions did deliberately leave this option open, and you've made some good points there. It is sort of like what happens with Henry James's "Turn of the Screw", where people still debate whether or not Quint and Miss Jessel's apparitions are real or delusions in the governess' mind....

Just wanted to pass this along.

For anyone who doesn't need the actual book in front of them, two websites have a wonderful selection of classic ghost and horror stories that are in the public domain.

HorrorMasters.com and Project Gutenberg.

Gutenberg has websites in America and Australia. There was a European website, but it appears to be unavailable, at this time.

There is no charge for anything you download from the two sites and with a little digging, they have a great selection of the classics.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Joe

Well so far I've been able to find the Oliver Onions, Ambrose Bierce, Robert W. Chambers, and Amyas Northcote collections.

Well, I've finally finished the Oliver Onions collection. Certainly was a bumper volume and there were some great stories in there. I'm really glad I read it.

Now I've just got to decide where to go next with this series...Maybe it's time for some Le Fanu...

I would recommend In A Glass Darkly without reservation.

Being someone who keeps a keen eye on the Tales of the Supernatural series to date, please note they've recently released Henry S Whitehead's Voodoo Tales. An excellent companion to the other notable recent release, Simon Iff Stories and Other Works by Alesteir Crowley, the follow up to The Drug and other Stories by Crowley.