British Library Tales of the Weird

Sargeant_Fox

For some years now the British Library has been putting out anthologies of classic weird tales. The series' over forty volumes by now. The volumes are a mixture of well-knowns and lesser-known names.

My introduction was Eleanor Scott's Randalls Round: Nine Nightmares, a less than enthralling volume, sadly; it was too vintage ghost story for my taste. But Glimpses of the Unknown: Lost Ghost Stories had crazier, stronger stories and I had fun reading it.

Currently I'm waiting for the arrival of Doorway to Dilemma: Bewildering Tales of Dark Fantasy.

Is anyone else keeping up with the series? Do you have favorites you recommend?

I certainly would not say I'm keeping up with the series although I just picked up "Dangerous Dimensions: Mind-bending Tales of the Mathematical Weird" the other day.

I don't think I'll try to pick them all (or even most) up but may just pick out a few that catch my fancy...

I don't think I'll try to pick them all (or even most) up but may just pick out a few that catch my fancy...

Sure, likewise; one thing that worries me is overlap with stories I have in other volumes, but so far that hasn't happened. And I like it how they collect by themes; so if I'm interested in a specific theme - plants, technology, drinking, Christmas, the sea, dark woods, paganism - I just go straight to the volume.