Odd and the Frost Giants

Adasunshine

Everything in Moderation
Has anyone come across this gorgeous little novel by Gaiman?

It was Gaiman's contribution to World Book Day so was free in exchange for a WBD Book Token which is fab! I does love World Book Day!!!

Aaaanyway, it's a lovely little story centering around a boy called Odd. who runs away from home, even though he can only walk using a crutch.

It's aimed at the younger generations but I enjoyed it immensely, granted I read it in under an hour (it's really not that long at all) but oh! it's a wonderful little tale involving Norse mythology and I'd readily recommend it to any adult wanting an hours escape from the world!

It'll now join Tom's Midnight Garden, The Little Vampire Series, Flat Stanley (my youngest shares his name) and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe on the bottom shelf of my sons' bookcase waiting patiently for them to grow old enough to read it!

xx

Yep, been there done that. Surprisingly, eventhough it was part of World Book Day I've never seen a copy of that short story anywhere in Australia on sale.

A lot of Neil's work has an appeal for both adults and children, so it isn't that surprising you got a kick out of it.

Cheers...

I was very happy to notice that it was available at the Swedish Internet bookstore I frequent, and at an extremely modest price too, so I immediately ordered it.

And then something went horribly wrong, because I received 25 copies! Apparently, it was available only as a wholesaler package, and wasn't supposed to go to private customers such as me.

But I managed to find homes for all 25 copies -- well, 23 of them, as I kept two to myself. :)

I got it for my son on World Book Day, and read it to him at bedtime - and absolutely loved it myself! A great little story, I think.

.............I received 25 copies! Apparently, it was available only as a wholesaler package, and wasn't supposed to go to private customers such as me.

But I managed to find homes for all 25 copies -- well, 23 of them, as I kept two to myself. :)
Grrr...wish I had known that, I had to get my copy O/S as we just didn't seem to stock it over here *SIGH*..

Amazon UK claims that the new Bloomsbury edition of Odd and the Frost Giants (ISBN 9780747598114) also contains the sequel, about Odd's journey to Jerusalem. Bloomsbury's own webpage for the book mentions nothing of this. Does anyone know what's true?

I've never seen it, but it sounds good. I really liked his M is for Magic and Instructions, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

I received a copy of it from our dear Nesa and Morpheous! Thank you so very much!

So far it's very enjoyable :)

I've never read a Neil Gaiman book before, so was pleasantly surprised.

I finished this last night. I love the wee bits in there for adults too, like the little hints about what Loki got up to while he was the mare!!