The Imposters by Toby Frost

Stephen Palmer

author of books
Supporter
Well known for his Space Captain Smith novels, in this engaging and very readable caper (using that word in a positive sense) our very own Toby Frost presents a different, more refined genre comedy, which has plenty of laughs but even more by way of wit.
Helen Frampton is a former childcare android souped up into a government owned agent with more skills than a Swiss Army knife. Richard Cleaver is... well, let's not go there just yet.
This is indeed a refined and witty caper, a tale of two mismatched characters getting to know one another as they try to find out the location of a vault of treasure. On their tails are the scary Sally Anne and her posse of not quite so scary accomplices. The action is swift where it needs to be and slower where it can be. Pacing is excellent in this book.
As the climax approaches we're presented with a plot twist and then a massive battle. I won't spoil the ending except to say I absolutely did not see it coming!
There's a little bit of philosophy here also to underpin the tale, mostly on the relationship between individuals, memory and identity. Overall the novel has a bit of a pulp feel to it, again, using that term in a positive, knowing kind of way. All in all, an enjoyable read by an author well along the road of comic writing. Definitely recommended.

Thanks Stephen! Somehow I completely missed this review! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Today's blog post is a conversation between myself and Toby about the themes and characters of his new novel The Imposters.