Update: The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Volumes 1-6

No confession necessary to the likes of me, Ian!

Not surprised to hear that you're swamped (in a good way, apparently), and best of luck with your separate initiatives. Hope a quiet Zelazny moment finds you soon, and I in turn also hope to become familiar with some of your work before too muich longer!

Nine Black Doves: Volume 5
TBA
(I know what’s in them, but the author intros haven’t been submitted to us yet and the contents will shift a bit within and between volumes 5 and 6)

I like the way the three of you wove the Martin and Snodgrass intros together for this one, Chris. Very complimentary set up for the Volume.

I like the way the three of you wove the Martin and Snodgrass intros together for this one, Chris. Very complimentary set up for the Volume.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't take credit for what the authors wrote in their intros, and co-editor Dave was the person most responsible for the order of elements (stories, intros, poems, etc.) within each book. But I agree that those intros worked very well together; they were both very personal and also illuminating about Zelazny. I think that we achieved a good balance overall of people who knew Zelazny personally, professionally, or both.

By the way, in case you or any Zelazny fan reading these books is interested and willing, the books can be voted on in various ways for the 2010 Locus Awards at this link:
https://secure.locusmag.com/Magazine/2010/Issue02_PollAndSurvey.html

1) Volumes 1-6 are already nominated as a single entry under "Best Collection"
2) NESFA Press is listed under "Best Book Publisher"
3) The six-part biography "...And Call Me Roger": The Literary Life of Roger Zelazny could be considered as a write-in under "Best Nonfiction/Art Book"
4) Any one or all of the three editors could be a write-in vote under "Best Editor - Pro or Fan"

Voting is free; votes from subscribers to Locus count double that of non-subscribers. You vote by indicating the rank number (1, 2, etc.) in the relevant boxes.

Hugo nominations are open now but to be eligible to nominate or vote one has to pay a membership fee for this year's Worldcon or to have been a member of last year's Worldcon. There isn't a "Best Collection" category in the Hugos. But these books might be eligible as "Best Related Book" since they contain non-fiction elements, or the six-part "...And Call Me Roger" biography might be considered under the same category. Also, all three editors could be considered under the category of "Best Editor - Short Form" because this includes anthologies and collections. And maybe under "Best Editor - Long Form" too, although I think this is meant for novels and not simply book-length works. For best editor in either category you have to have edited at least four books, and we edited and published six within one year.

Chris

I managed to get all 6 volumes of this set for Christmas. I found some at Amazon and some at Barnes and Nobles. I almost let this go too long as various volumes are out of print and I was buying from warehouse stock.

Roger Zelazny is my favorite author so this collection is a must have. I would love to see a similar collection of his novels. I have always loved Nine Princes in Amber, and it was interesting to read the biography that talked about how Nine Princes was written with no outline and how the names and numbers of Corwin's family were discovered by the author just as they entered the text as Corwin riffled through Flora's desk.
-Duncan

I managed to get all 6 volumes of this set for Christmas. I found some at Amazon and some at Barnes and Nobles. I almost let this go too long as various volumes are out of print and I was buying from warehouse stock.

Roger Zelazny is my favorite author so this collection is a must have. I would love to see a similar collection of his novels. I have always loved Nine Princes in Amber, and it was interesting to read the biography that talked about how Nine Princes was written with no outline and how the names and numbers of Corwin's family were discovered by the author just as they entered the text as Corwin riffled through Flora's desk.
-Duncan

None of The Collected Stories are out of print. The first and second books are currently in a revised second edition (corrections of typos, some revisions to the notes and biography). Volumes 4-6 are still in their first printings and revised second editions or second printings of each will likely happen during this year and next. The books will stay reprinted and in stock until such time as the Zelazny Estate no longer wishes to renew the contract with the publisher.

I'd hoped to help do a uniform edition of Zelazny's novels but NESFA Press isn't interested in doing that. Maybe another publisher will pick this up sometime.

Chris Kovacs

That is good to know. I had difficulty getting some of the volumes at local retailers. I will let some of my co-workers know who are very interested in the collection as well. One of my friends is afraid to borrow the books at this point, fearing the damage that may occur.

It is unfortunate that NESFA Press isn't interested in reprinting the novels. I find that many of the novels are hard to come by. I searched for years (during the '90s) for a decent copy of Deus Irae.

I'd hoped to help do a uniform edition of Zelazny's novels but NESFA Press isn't interested in doing that. Maybe another publisher will pick this up sometime. Chris Kovacs

I'd like to encourage anyone interested in this project to email NESFA and tell them you'd like to see them reissue Zelazny's novels. The six-volume Collected Stories is a model of how this kind of thing should be done; it'd be great if they did a similar set with the novels.

--Chris DeVito

Attachments

• ANitLO.jpg
    ANitLO.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 266
  • NNPRNCSNMB1970.jpg
    NNPRNCSNMB1970.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Dilvish.jpg
    Dilvish.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Lord of Light 1968.jpg