The multi-volume collection of Zelazny's short stories and poetry is
now 6 volumes, and things are on track for the first two volumes to
appear in Jan/Feb upcoming, and for the other four volumes to be
published later next year.

Some additional details about the project (including names of the
volume titles and the cover artist) are posted at:

The Zelazny Project

Chris

I hope that NESFA uses the smaller volumes of 400 pp or so, like they did with the Chad Oliver books. Those larger 600-700 pp books fall apart too quickly. The bindings they used for, for example, Zenna Henderson and Cordwainer Smith cant take that much torsion, and cracked really easily, but the Oliver ones held up really well.

I'm gob smacked. I've read lots of Roger's books and yet strangely I've only just noticed the second z in his name. Talk about blind spot. Interesting prospect though.

I hope that NESFA uses the smaller volumes of 400 pp or so, like they did with the Chad Oliver books. Those larger 600-700 pp books fall apart too quickly. The bindings they used for, for example, Zenna Henderson and Cordwainer Smith cant take that much torsion, and cracked really easily, but the Oliver ones held up really well.

I inquired about this and have been told that it's possible you have the cheaper book club (SFBC) editions of those NESFA books and not the actual editions issued by NESFA. The NESFA editions have sturdy sewn bindings. The SFBC versions have the same content and covers, but were issued in a far cheaper format with glued binding.

latest news?

will these books be affordable to the poorest fans (like me)?

Will they contain Dilvish, the Damned stories?

Those stories i want to collect next, it would be nice to get them collected in a new edition.

It would be weird otherwise seeing volume collections of RZ short fiction without one of his most famous short story series/collection.

Updates:

1) Volumes 1 and 2 should appear in February prior to the Boskone 46 Convention, and volumes 3-6 should appear in two batches before the end of 2009.

2) The publisher sets the prices of the books. Looking at their catalogue, it looks like recent hardcovers range in price from $26 to 29 USD, with those over 500 pages for $29. Each of the Zelazny volumes will be over 500 pages in length with a total of something like 1.2 million words to be contained within the 6-volume set. I'd guess, and only guess, that the price might be $29 per volume or higher.

3) Whether there will be a cheaper book club edition or, even later, trade paperbacks or mass market paperbacks, is unknown.

4) All of the Dilvish short stories are in these volumes, yes. Because the volumes are arranged in somewhat chronological order, the earliest Dilvish stories are grouped together in volume 2, while the later stories are in two batches within volumes 4 and 5. The final Dilvish tale is the novel The Changing Land, but that is not included because this is a collection of short fiction and poetry; it is not a collection of novels. Other stories are grouped together where appropriate, such as the Croyd Crenson stories from Wild Cards, and the three novellas from My Name is Legion.

5) As mentioned in earlier threads, we'd identified and obtained copies of all of Zelazny's previously published short stories and poems (including ones that had never been collected), and we also identified numerous items that had not been previously published (short stories, poems, film treatments, script for a play, outlines for novels, etc). The intent is to include all of these things, plus a few non-fiction essays, and the 100,000-word biography that runs throughout the six volumes.

Chris

Ah thanks for the info about which volume the Dilvish stories are in.

I have noted the Feb 2009 release date for volume 2.

For me 26 or 29$ for that many pages arent too much specially since i own two books of him that are in second hand and not even in good condition. This Immortal his multi award winning book is one of the books i could only find in second hand....

A brand new edition is a gem after that.

I'm already saving my pennies. These books are a must have.

I'm gob smacked. I've read lots of Roger's books and yet strangely I've only just noticed the second z in his name. Talk about blind spot. Interesting prospect though.

Could it be because 'Z' is at The End of the alphabet?!!!;)

Saving my pennies, too, Snowdog!

Will these books be available to us in the UK?

CT.

You or a bookstore can order the books from NESFA Press. But the books won't automatically be distributed or carried by UK booksellers. My understanding is that NESFA Press does not have distribution rights outside North America. They can still sell to anyone outside North America, but they can't do a wholesale distribution to booksellers outside North America. Only individual or special orders. But you can email them to ask.

The first two books are done and will be released in February by the time of the Boskone convention. The dustjackets have a gorgeous wrap-around painting by Michael Whelan that will span all 6 volumes, such that you see part of it on each book (wrapping from the front to the back), and that when the spines of all 6 books are seen next to each other on the shelf, they will form the middle portion of the artwork.

The second pair of books should be released in June, and the last pair in October, by current estimates.

Volume I arrived today, and Whelan's artwork is somehow even better here in my hot little hands. 'Scuze me, have some reading to do.....;)

I inquired about this and have been told that it's possible you have the cheaper book club (SFBC) editions of those NESFA books and not the actual editions issued by NESFA. The NESFA editions have sturdy sewn bindings. The SFBC versions have the same content and covers, but were issued in a far cheaper format with glued binding.

Sorry ckovacs, I just noticed this post. I actually have NESFA editions, not SFBC editions. They are sewn, but the bindings are in fact giving. In the case of the Henderson book it gave with in a week. The Smith book gave a bit more service. Its not that they are low quality. Its that they tried to pack way too many pages into the book; its just too heavy.

Finished with Book I, Threshold, and it was everything Chris has it cracked up to be. Excellent information surrounding the stories, too. At the risk of sounding too much like an advertisement, a must-have for anyone passionate about Zelazny's works.

Finished with Book I, Threshold, and it was everything Chris has it cracked up to be. Excellent information surrounding the stories, too. At the risk of sounding too much like an advertisement, a must-have for anyone passionate about Zelazny's works.

I'm delighted to hear that you've enjoyed that first volume. Putting these together has been a major effort for all involved, and a labor of love.

For those who are interested, here is the full table of contents for the first 4 volumes. The NESFA Press website currently shows only a partial set of contents for the first 2 volumes, and none yet for volumes 3 and 4:

The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Volumes 1-6

Threshold: Volume 1

Introductions:
Out of Nowhere, by Robert Silverberg
Before Amber, by Carl B. Yoke

Stories:
A Rose for Ecclesiastes
And the Darkness is Harsh
Mr. Fuller’s Revolt
Youth Eternal
The Outward Sign
Passion Play
The Graveyard Heart
Horseman!
The Teachers Rode a Wheel of Fire
Moonless in Byzantium
On the Road to Splenoba
Final Dining
The Borgia Hand
Nine Starships Waiting
Circe Has Her Problems
The Malatesta Collection
The Stainless Steel Leech (as by Harrison Denmark)
The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth
A Thing of Terrible Beauty (as by Harrison Denmark)
Monologue for Two (as by Harrison Denmark)
Threshold of the Prophet
A Museum Piece
Mine Is the Kingdom (as by Harrison Denmark)
King Solomon’s Ring
The Misfit
The Great Slow Kings
Collector’s Fever
The Night Has 999 Eyes
He Who Shapes

Articles:
Sundry Notes on Dybology and Suchlike
“…And Call Me Roger”: The Literary Life of Roger Zelazny, Part 1, by Christopher S. Kovacs

Curiosities:
Conditional Benefit
Hand of the Master
The Great Selchie of San Francisco Bay
Studies in Saviory

Poems:
Braxa
Ecclesiastes’ Epilogue
Bok
Diet
Slush, Slush, Slush
The Agnostic’s Prayer
On May 13, 1937
The Cactus King
Our Wintered Way Through Evening, and Burning Bushes Along It
In the Dogged House
Future, Be Not Impatient
Flight
Sense and Sensibility
The World of Stat’s a Drunken Bat
The Cat Licks Her Coat
From a Seat in the Chill Park
Rodin’s “The Kiss”
To His Morbid Mistress
Old Ohio Folkrag
How a Poem Means
Concert
Iceage
Hart Crane
Southern Cross
I Used to Think in Lines That Were Irregular to the Right
Hybris, or The Danger of Hilltops
St. Secaire’s
In Pheleney’s Garage
The Black Boy’s Reply to William Butler Yeats
Rite of Spring
Decade Plus One of Roses
See You Later, Maybe

Also:
Most stories and many poems are followed by notes compiled and written by Christopher S. Kovacs. These include the author commentaries (entitled “A Word from Zelazny”) and the annotations (entitled “Notes”).

States:
Uncorrected proof in wrappers bearing grayscale version of Michael Whelan dustjacket artwork. States “ADVANCE UNCORRECTED PROOF” on cover and “April 2009” on spine. 6 copies.

1st edition hardcover, edited by David G. Grubbs, Christopher S. Kovacs, and Ann Crimmins, NESFA Press ($29), 2009. “FIRST EDITION, February 2009” on copyright page. Dust jacket artwork by Michael Whelan. ISBN 978-1-886778-71-9. First printing was 1,640 copies.

Power & Light: Volume 2

Introductions:
Lyricism and Warmth, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
A Singular Being, by Walter Jon Williams

Stories:
The Furies
Lucifer
The Salvation of Faust
The New Pleasure
The Monster and the Maiden
For a Breath I Tarry
Passage to Dilfar
Thelinde’s Song
The Bells of Shoredan
A Knight for Merytha
The Injured
Devil Car
Of Time and the Yan
The Drawing
This Moment of the Storm
Comes Now the Power
Divine Madness
But Not the Herald
Late, Late Show
Love Is an Imaginary Number
The Keys to December
The House of the Hanged Man
Death and the Executioner
Auto-Da-Fé
The Juan’s Thousandth
There Shall Be No Moon!
Through a Glass, Greenly
Time of Night in the 7th Room
…And Call Me Conrad, Part One
Synopsis of Part One
…And Call Me Conrad, Part Two

Articles:
Guest of Honor Speech, Ozarkon 2
On Writing and Stories
Shadows (speech)
“…And Call Me Roger”: The Literary Life of Roger Zelazny, Part 2, by Christopher S. Kovacs

Poems:
Thoughts of the Jupiterian Frantifier Fish
Holy Thursday
The Men of Westrim
Magic Fire
The Wind Doth Blow
Blondel de Nesle
Chou de Mal
The Thing That on the Highways
Indian Days in KY
Antode to Winter
“…Good Old Martian Soldier…”
Devices of Heraldry
Lines Written Concerning the Acceptability of Alcohol
Brahman Trimurti, A Modern Hymn to the Trinity
Appendix B
Bodhisattva
Faust Before Twelve
Apocalypse of a Summer’s Night
On My Giving Up of Regular Metrics
I Never Met a Traveller from an Antique Land
The Last

Also:
Most stories and many poems are followed by notes compiled and written by Christopher S. Kovacs. These include the author commentaries (entitled “A Word from Zelazny” and “A Word from [Author X]”) and the annotations (entitled “Notes”).

States:
Uncorrected proof in wrappers bearing grayscale version of Michael Whelan dustjacket artwork. States “ADVANCE UNCORRECTED PROOF” on cover and “April 2009” on spine. 6 copies.

1st edition hardcover, edited by David G. Grubbs, Christopher S. Kovacs, and Ann Crimmins, NESFA Press ($29), 2009. “FIRST EDITION, February 2009” on copyright page. Dust jacket artwork by Michael Whelan. ISBN 978-1-886778-77-1. First printing was 1,600 copies.

This Mortal Mountain: Volume 3

Introductions:
Of Meetings and Partings, by Neil Gaiman
On Roger Zelazny, by David G. Hartwell

Stories:
This Mortal Mountain
The Man Who Loved the Faioli
Angel, Dark Angel
The Hounds of Sorrow
The Window Washer
Damnation Alley
The Last Inn on the Road (with Dannie Plachta)
A Hand Across the Galaxy
The Insider (as by Phillip H. Sexart)
Heritage
He That Moves
Corrida
Dismal Light
Song of the Blue Baboon
Stowaway
Here There Be Dragons
Way Up High
The Steel General
Come to Me Not in Winter’s White (with Harlan Ellison®)
The Year of the Good Seed (with Dannie Plachta)
The Man at the Corner of Now and Forever
My Lady of the Diodes
Alas! Alas! This Woeful Fate
Sun’s Trophy Stirring
Add Infinite Item
The Game of Blood and Dust
The Force that Through the Circuit Drives the Current
No Award
Is There a Demon Lover in the House?
The Engine at Heartspring’s Center

Articles:
Tomorrow Stuff
Science Fiction and How It Got That Way
Self-Interview
The Genre: A Geological Survey
A Burnt-Out Case?
Ideas, Digressions and Daydreams: The Amazing Science Fiction Machine
Musings on Lord of Light
“…And Call Me Roger”: The Literary Life of Roger Zelazny, Part 3, by Christopher S. Kovacs

Curiosities:
Family Tree from Creatures of Light and Darkness
The Guns of Avalon: deleted sex scene
Bridge of Ashes (Outline)
Doorways in the Sand (Summary)

Poems:
Lover’s Valediction: Forbidding Day’s Sacrament
Song (The Leaves are Gone)
Fire, Snakes & the Moon
Lobachevsky’s Eyes
Beyond the River of the Blessed
Chorus Mysticus
Permanent Mood
Maitreya
Tryptych
Avalanches
Somewhere a Piece of Colored Light
We Are the Legions of Hellwell
Awakening
Night Thoughts
Paintpot
Reflection from an Oriental Ashtray
T. S. Eliot
Wall
Morning with Music
I Walked Beyond the Mirror
Museum Moods
Sentiments with Numbers
Storm and Sunrise
Oh, the Moon Comes on Like a Genie
Between You & I
Words
Augury
Pyramid
Thundershoon
What Is Left When the Soul is Sold
LP Me Thee
The Thing That Cries in the Night
Dim
Dark Horse Shadow
Missolonghi Hillside
Ducks
Lamentations of the Venusian Pensioner
Testament
Sonnet, Anyone?
Philip K. Dick

Also:
Most stories and many poems are followed by notes compiled and written by Christopher S. Kovacs. These include the author commentaries (entitled “A Word from Zelazny” and “A Word from [Author X]”) and the annotations (entitled “Notes”). The exception to this is that “A Word from Harlan Ellison®” was written and revised by Harlan Ellison for this volume.

States:
Currently in press.

Last Exit to Babylon: Volume 4

Introductions:
The Prince of Amber, by Joe Haldeman
What I Didn’t Learn from Reading Roger Zelazny, by Steven Brust

Stories:
My Name Is Legion: Précis
The Eve of RUMOKO
’Kjwalll’kje’k’koothaïlll’kje’k
Home Is the Hangman
Stand Pat, Ruby Stone
Go Starless in the Night
Halfjack
The Last Defender of Camelot
Fire and/or Ice
Exeunt Omnes
A Very Good Year
The Places of Aache
A City Divided
The White Beast
Tower of Ice
The George Business
The Naked Matador
Walpurgisnacht
The Last of the Wild Ones
The Horses of Lir
Recital
And I Only Am Escaped to Tell Thee
Shadowjack
Shadowjack: Character Outline
Unicorn Variation

Articles:
Some Science Fiction Parameters: A Biased View
Black Is the Color and None Is the Number
The Parts That Are Only Glimpsed: Three Reflexes
Future Crime
A Number of Princes in Amber
The Balance between Art and Commerce
Amber and the Amberites
“…And Call Me Roger”: The Literary Life of Roger Zelazny, Part 4, by Christopher S. Kovacs

Poems:
Diadoumenos of Polycletus
Come, Let Us Pace The Sky-Aspiring Wave
On the Death of a Manned Stellar Observation Satellite
I, a Stranger and Revisited (as by Harrison Denmark)
On the Return of the Mercurian Flamebird After Nesting
There Is Always a Poem
Doctrine of the Perfect Lie
Pelias Waking, within the S. C.
Torlin Dragonson
Wriggle Under George Washington Bridge
Lamentations of the Prematurely Old Satyr
Moonsong
Nuages
Friend
The Burning
Dance
Ye Who Would Wish to Live
Shadows
great cummings
The Man Without a Shadow
When Pussywillows Last in the Catyard Bloomed

Also:
Most stories and many poems are followed by notes compiled and written by Christopher S. Kovacs. These include the author commentaries (entitled “A Word from Zelazny”) and the annotations (entitled “Notes”).

States:
Currently in press.

Nine Black Doves: Volume 5
TBA
(I know what’s in them, but the author intros haven’t been submitted to us yet and the contents will shift a bit within and between volumes 5 and 6)

The Road to Amber: Volume 6
TBA

(I know what’s in them, but the author intros haven’t been submitted to us yet and the contents will shift a bit within and between volumes 5 and 6)

• "Devil and the Dancer"
  • "Garden of Blood"
  • "Dilvish, the Damned
Those last three stories of Dilvish the Damned collection can i expect them in vol 5 or vol 6 ? Since the other 9 stories are in these first 4 volumes.

• "Devil and the Dancer"
  • "Garden of Blood"
  • "Dilvish, the Damned
Those last three stories of Dilvish the Damned collection can i expect them in vol 5 or vol 6 ? Since the other 9 stories are in these first 4 volumes.

Those three are in volume 5.