Sasquatch Proof

Why does their offer expire on December 15th? Are they worried that they might actually have to pay up? If they have raised enough money for a prize, then there should be no time limit. It's a great marketing idea for camera and film sales though.

This is the website mentioned on that TV report: Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization

That website explains in length why, what it calls the 'Patterson' footage, is not faked. I thought that footage shown was fake, not because it looked like a man in a costume (hard to tell at that distance) but because it walks like a man. I'll keep an open mind though.

Maybe we should just leave them alone though. Obviously, they don't want to be found. That reminds me of the Gerald sketch by Rowan Atkinson.
YouTube - Not the Nine O'clock News - Gerald the Gorilla

Saquatch? Give me a break. There are a number of logical reasons to doubt its existence.

1. The lack of a sasquatch specimen. With the number of nut cases looking for one, you would think someone would have found one by now. There are actually sasquatch hunters who have devoted their lives to finding and killing one without achieving the slightest hint of success. Either these hunters are remarkably incompetent or what they are looking for does not exist.
2. The fact that thousands of trigger happy hunters flood into supposed sasquatch areas every hunting season. Just by dumb luck one of them would have drawn a bead on a sasquatch by now.
3. The lack of reliable photigraphic evidence. The only decent film of a sasquatch was revealed to be faked years ago by its creators. Every other photograph is either out of focus or subject to doubt as to its authenticity.
4. The fact that no sasquatch dropping have been found. Certainly if the sasquatch exists someone would have come across some sasquatch dung by now. It is the same with sasquatch hair. No one has come across anything that can be identified as sasquatch hair in spite of the fact that it supposedly lives in a forested region that would leave traces of hair on bushes or trees.
5. She lack of any sasquatch remains - even fossil remains. There is absolutely nothing. Surely if this creature exists or ever existed there would be fossil evidence.
6. The lack of any real concrete evidence of any sort that could not have been faked. Easily faked footprints and traces of hair that have been shown to come from other species do not stand as any sort of proof.

In short, as Ace has hinted, sasquatch is about as beleiveable as Nessie or Ogopogo or whatever other water creature you want to imagine.

We had much the same kind of "yes there are: no there are not" hysteria in the UK some time ago over alleged sightings of big cats in the wild. Seemed ridiculous at the time - but now we know that leopards and at least one tiger were, in fact, released into the wild as a result of stricter legislation by the government. But then no-one had to prove the existence of big cats - merely whether or not they were here.

Sasquatch? Definitely a very close relative of Nessie. An anthropoid which walks upright as a matter of course would be an inhabitant of grassland plains - not forests. Had they ever been on the plains, we would, as Drachir points out, have found the associated evidence.

An anthropoid which walks upright as a matter of course would be an inhabitant of grassland plains - not forests.
If you look at that website I linked to (mentioned in the film clip, linked by Bookstop) there have been sitings all over North America. That makes them even less likely to me, but still more likely than the number of Americans who claim to have been abducted by Aliens.

Sasquatch? Definitely a very close relative of Nessie. An anthropoid which walks upright as a matter of course would be an inhabitant of grassland plains - not forests. Had they ever been on the plains, we would, as Drachir points out, have found the associated evidence.
A few mitigating factors- don't we fall into that same category? Yet we inhabit all environments. Also, such a creature might be shy of humans, and retreat from human territory. Or be driven there. Elk are prevalent here, and they're, so I'm told, originally a plains creature, and have the color markings to show it, yet they've been driven into the woods (though they come down into cow fields whenever they can).

Do I think they exist? Not really, but I like to pretend they do. We've never found remains of dead ones in all these years, and a surprising number of hunters and outdoorsy types are about in the woods, and they do find dead humans. So either Sasquatch are very good at hiding their dead, or just don't exist.

Dave, do you mean more likely than the number of Americans that claim to have been abducted by aliens, or the number who have?

Sorry, what I meant was that recent research said that 57% of Americans believe in UFOs, 15% claim to have seen one, and 3 to 5% claim to have been abducted by aliens. 3% just seems far to high to be very likely to me, and throws doubt on the whole idea.

If the map of Bigfoot sitings is comprehensive, I estimate only about 50 or 60 maximum. That looks much more reasonable to me.

I still expect many people are lying, deluded, crazy, publicity-seeking.... but there is room for doubt.

Personally, I don't think they exist, but tomorrow one could be brought into a TV studio and interviewed by Mel Smith.

Maybe the Sasquatch bury their dead, or have an Elephant's Graveyard thing going on. We have similar hairy stories over here - the forest I live near is called the Pilliga, and it is infamous in certain circles for the creature known as the Yowie (perhaps a Sasquatchy thing?) The stories originated with the local Aborigines. Even today some truck drivers refuse to stop in the Pilliga.

I've seen UFOs, but in the true sense of the word- Unidentified Flying Objects. Only I can't argue they were even flying, but floating. If you've ever seen anything like that, it's a truly weird feeling. They told us later it was space junk (or satellite parts, or something) burning in the atmosphere, an explanation I accept.

3% seems too high. I've met people that believe a ghost is living in their house, but none that have been abducted by aliens. And the types of things they typically say they were subjected to don't lead me to support their claims.

I know a lot of people who believe in ghosts - in fact I know a lot of people who have seen them (not me which is probably why I don't believe), and I often wonder if said people are a bit wacky, but I, too, have never met anyone who had been abducted by aliens. What kindof person would even admit sometihing so crazy?(someone secure int hier saneness I guess).
As to believing in Bigfoot, I don't think anyone really believes it either. Ok, maybe a few nutjobs that enjoy the attention they get when they describe what they were doing int he forest that time of night.....Ok, so that's a bit harsh, but really like everyone here has pointed out. There would be evidence.
It's a lot easier to believe in UFOs or ghosts, which by thier very nature would be hard to prove either way.

Raising paw about ghosts and UFO's. I have "experienced" a ghost and so has my mother - being an open-minded sceptic I am willing to concede that there may be weird psychological or physiological things going on that may explain what I experienced - I know the mind can play tricks - I find it very difficult to explain away to myself, but I wouldn't call it concrete evidence of ghosts or anything.

I have also seen a UFO, in the literal sense of Unidentified Flying Object, and was with a group of people at the time. It wasn't a floaty thing, it was a "pulsing" thing. It was extremely weird and none of us (the group included a scientist, though he's an environmental scientist, not a physicist or anything like that) could think of any rational explanation for it. So we shrugged and went on with our lives (after having gone back to the verandah, had a few more beers and told UFO and ghost stories for the remainder of the evening, as you would) - but I still find myself gazing up at the stars now and then wondering if I will see it again.

Having said that I too think the alien abduction thing is a bit suss. I should probably be more sympathetic, having experienced weird things myself and knowing others who have - but seeing things you can't explain is a whole different kettle of fish to being taken up into a flying saucer and interfered with.

I can understand people who still want to believe in the Sasquatch. A part of me - a large part - still wants to believe that there are Tasmanian Tigers surviving in the inaccessible wilds of Tasmania. The rational part of me knows how unlikely that is - but the hopeful part that cheers for wonderful things wants to be blissfully ignorant of the facts. So I say to anyone "Oh, they're extinct", but there's always a little voice adding "probably" inside the privacy of my own head...

Last edited:
Raising my hand on the ghost one too- though I wouldn't use the word "ghost" as what I saw didn't resemble the weird lights and shapes others say they saw- it had a distinct shape- blue head, bald, wide-eyed, staring alien-thing. One of those things you just see out of the corner of your eye and then it's gone. Put a good spook into me at the time, and I rather hope I was just misinterpreting some objects in a window, but I looked back at that window on a number of occasions, and never could make out how I might have mistaken the objects.

I just can't see why the aliens would find our reproductive system so fascinating...

Somewhat on topic- I think a lot of Bigfoot sightings are actually bears. They look remarkably like humans when walking around on their hind feet. At a distance. Through the trees. There's only one Bigfoot sighting I put much faith in- a retired cop that said something came up to his car (or something like that- little fuzzy on the details)- but even then, he won't claim that he actually saw a Bigfoot, only something he couldn't recognize that felt intelligent, big, and furry and Bigfoot-like.