Short story, please edit and comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. R. D.

Such a charming lad!
Geek on the outside, idiot on the inside! :)
This is my first work (in English) ever. Actually, I've written many stuff but not in English and I'm trying to improve my language skills as much as possible, so please could you concentrate on my grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes. If there are serious problems in my style, please tell me. If it's not interesting, tell me, because I gave all my best to make it fun. And, please, skip "It's good for an amateur," or "You suck, do something else in your free time!" If there is even a tiny mistake or some kind of cultural misunderstanding, don't skip it :).

Some info:
Title: Exercise 1 :)
words: 2091 (for now!)

I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for just opening this threat.

“Oh my God! You shot him dead”. John's scream faded into the yellow heat.
The desert swallowed it, as though no sound ever came out of his mouth. And even if the winds weren't blowing so furiously and the big clouds of sand weren't attacking him over and over again, his voice wouldn't have been heard by anyone, for the nearest town was miles away from this forsaken place.
“We don't have enough water, I had to do it,” replied Peter Dudley, John's companion.
One tiny line of smoke was coming out of his gun's muzzle. In front of him a corpse was supine on the ground. Unbelievable! Old Sam, the town tailor was dead!
“What are you talking about? We have two full gallons of fresh water!”
John felt a wave of pure anger to enter his mind. He knew that his partner was unpredictable but that was way beyond the admissible.
“Anyway, he won't want his share now,” Dudley's face suddenly changed from dark to almost happy. “And we won't listen to his stupid stories for wizards and dragons all the time. Frankly, he was drivin' me insane-- there's no doubt this man was crazy. ”
Somewhere in the middle of this little speech, John threw up a meter away from the corpse. Just as he felt a little better, he saw the blood of the old man to sink into the moving sands. He threw up again.
“See a dead man for the first time, huh?” Laughed his companion.
No answer.
“What's the matter, boy? Don't give me that angry look, cause' I have two more bullets and I don't mind traveling alone!”
Still no answer, just this time John's anger was replaced by a tinge of fear.
“Let's go,” ordered Peter Dudley with an imperative tone, he had never used since the beginning of their journey.
He was tall and thin with deep black eyes and nose two times bigger than John's. He was about forty-years-old, two times older than John and his black hair was short and dark, but still two times longer than John's. Only his heart was thousands of times smaller, for he was known as the most cruel man in these lands. Now he had just proved it to his young companion.
A minute later they were walking towards the nearest town. There was no path and the dunes were changing their forms and places every ten minutes, but the two men knew they were headed west and there was no sign of confusion on their faces.
John was thinking about old Sam's friendly look, his long yellow coat, and his warm smile, all those things were now buried in the middle of nowhere. His grayish, curly and long hair and beard were gone, too. But most of all, John missed Sam's endless stories of giant creatures and brave heroes. This old man was such a good company... Who was to blame for his dead?
The story was too complicated, but all the three man: Peter Dudley, Sam Stone and of course John Marsh, had a peace of the fault. Three days ago, when John and Sam were still in the town of Briville, they were talking about their plan. John remembered every single word they had been saying.
“It's dangerous”, the old man had uttered.
“Be quiet,” He had replied. “Somebody will hear us and we're dead! Nobody robs a bank in these days without paying with his life for it.”
“Yes, but we won't rob our bank. We'll travel through the desert to Minetown and when we do it, we'll get back here with bags, full of money. But we need a little help.”
“What do you mean?”
“We'll ask Dudley for help!”
“Dudley?!” John had screamed the name without realizing it.
“What?” A dreadful voice had replied from behind.
That same voice came again, this time from the present.
“Feeling bad for your friend?”
John needed a little time to bring himself to his senses. He realized he didn't want to answer this question and remained silent.
“At least he's no longer telling his stupid stories,” said Peter Dudley again, as though he wanted to make John mad.
But instead of madness, a little ray of joy entered the young man's thoughts. He remembered one beautiful story that Sam had told him earlier this day. It was a story for desert elves with houses, hidden in the dust and blades, made of silver and gold. They were elves-defenders of the good and the biggest nightmare of the evil. “They live in this desert, and they're watching us right now, sure thing. I've seen them, but they didn't want to talk to me and they all escaped somewhere. I'm telling you the truth. If you don't believe me, leave a gold coin right here on this stone and if you come back tomorrow, I bet you won't find it!” Those were Sam's last words before the bullet pierced his chest. Too bad that the gun was in Dudley's hands now, because John wanted only one thing and it wasn't the bags, full of gold, nor to get back in the town harmless, he wanted revenge.
Soon the night came and the wind disappeared. It was a really quiet night, and dark as well. The rage of the sun was replaced by the gentle touch of the moon but it turned out that the heat was way better than the cold. They stopped to make a camp.
“We have to sleep now,” said Peter Dudley, “It's a long way to Briville.”
But, of course! The night was John's weapon and he had to use it. That was his opportunity to destroy his partner in his sleep.
“Yes, let's rest,” those were his first words since they left old Sam's body in the middle of the desert.
It was time for action...
However, as soon as he laid on the ground, he felt so exhausted, that he couldn't control his eyelids. His body was craving for some sleep. He wasn't sure weather he would be able to stand up if he had waited a little longer and the need for sleep grew faster than expected.
It was impossible to stand up immediately, because his companion would suspect something and wouldn't fall asleep later. On the other hand, it wasn't a good idea to stay that way either, because it was quite possible another bullet to be fired, this time in his chest. That thought hit him like a heavy fist and he found some more strength inside him, just to think of an appropriate plan.
Suddenly, he sensed movement somewhere in front of him. He looked at his companion, but Peter Dudley was motionless. Perhaps some desert creature was searching for its dinner in the cover of the darkness.
He managed to get over this dispersing and concentrated on his new plan. He was about to reach in his pocket and pull out something, when a similar noise came from the opposite direction.
It was familiar and this time was much clearer. Someone was walking there! However, this someone was so fast, that for a a couple of seconds the noise moved away and was completely swallowed by some distant roar. Both the sounds weren't typical for these lands.
John felt like hundreds of bugs were walking on his back. He looked toward Peter Dudley. He was sleeping-- or at least he was acting it really well. His breathing was slow and a bit noisy.
If someone had come to take their gold in their sleep, they would have been dead by now. He looked around feverish in all the possible directions. There were no signs of something alive. After a few minutes he calmed down and returned to his previous goal-- killing his evil partner.
“Damn,” thought the young man, “If only I could get closer and stab him with my knife.” he pulled the little blade out of his pocked. “But then what? I'll be alone if another threat appears. I better not do it now. When we get to Briville-- there he will meet his doom!” Than he put his knife back in the pocket.
For good or bad, all the sounds were gone, perhaps hiding or even stalking behind the dunes or deep in John's imagination, where he thought their home was.
The night was still very young.
John looked up in the skies. Millions of stars were shining in millions of different ways. “Dragon eyes, the stars are nothing but the eyes of those big creatures. Lots of 'em,” a familiar voice from the past came into John's mind. “If you disappoint them, they won't come back tomorrow, so be good to others and the dragons will always keep an eye on you.” Strange words from the mouth of a bank robber.
One tiny smile sneaked on his face. Despite his effort, he closed his eyes and fell asleep instantly.
“Wake up. Johnny,” were the first words he heard the next morning.
And one strong kick was the first thing he felt.
“It's almost noon, get up!”
John stood up and beat the dust out of his clothes. He felt like his head was about to explode on his shoulders but tasted the energy of the new day. Still breathing-- everything was fine.
“You'll take the bags today, since the old fool is dead.”
Those words helped the young man to wake up fully and made his hunger for revenge a little bigger.
John lifted the heavy bags, full of gold and, without saying a word, followed his companion on their way – towards the west horizon. They had only a few more days to travel, and a few more nights to sleep. There was plenty of water and plenty of bread for ten men to cross the same distance.
Soon the memory of the last night started to fade-- but returned fast after Peter Dudley said:
“You wanted to kill me, didn't you, boy!” Those words came so unexpected, that John almost dropped the gold on the ground. “You should have done it, cause' now I have something in mind for you.”
The silence became deeper than ever.
“You can't kill me,” continued Peter Dudley at least half an hour later, as though he waited for his previous words to scare the young man enough. “You're a fool! And If you try, I'll smash your face with my bare hands.” He was talking slow, almost to himself.
This time the silence lasted for hours.

TO BE CONTINUED...

(SPOILER)!

-the fantasy part is in the end-

[/quote]
This is my first work (in English) ever. Actually, I've written many stuff but not in English and I'm trying to improve my language skills as much as possible, so please could you concentrate on my grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes. If there are serious problems in my style, please tell me. If it's not interesting, tell me, because I gave all my best to make it fun. And, please, skip "It's good for an amateur," or "You suck, do something else in your free time!" If there is even a tiny mistake or some kind of cultural misunderstanding, don't skip it :).

Some info:
Title: Exercise 1 :)
words: 2091 (for now!)

I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for just opening this threat.
thread -I hope
“Oh my God! You shot him dead”. John's scream faded into the yellow heat.
The desert swallowed it, as though no sound
probably "had ever come"
ever came out of his mouth. And even if the winds weren't
hadn't been
blowing so furiously and the big clouds of sand weren't
hadn't been
attacking him over and over again, his voice wouldn't have been heard by anyone, for the nearest town was miles away from this forsaken place.
“We don't have enough water, I had to do it,” replied Peter Dudley, John's companion.
One tiny line of smoke was coming out of his gun's muzzle. In front of him a corpse was supine on the ground. Unbelievable! Old Sam, the town tailor was dead!
“What are you talking about? We have two full gallons of fresh water!”
John felt a wave of pure anger to
no "to"
enter his mind. He knew that his partner was unpredictable but that was way beyond the admissible.
“Anyway, he won't want his share now,” Dudley's face suddenly changed from dark to almost happy. “And we won't listen to his stupid stories for
probably "of" rather than "for"
wizards and dragons all the time. Frankly, he was drivin' me insane-- there's no doubt this man was crazy. ”
Somewhere in the middle of this little speech, John threw up a meter away from the corpse. Just as he felt a little better, he saw the blood of the old man to
no "to"
sink into the moving sands. He threw up again.
“See a dead man for the first time, huh?” Laughed his companion.
No answer.
“What's the matter, boy? Don't give me that angry look, cause' I have two more bullets and I don't mind traveling alone!”
Still no answer, just this time John's anger was replaced by a tinge of fear.
“Let's go,” ordered Peter Dudley with an imperative tone, he had never used since the beginning of their journey.
He was tall and thin with deep black eyes and nose two times bigger than
twice as big as
John's. He was about forty-years-old, two times older than
twice as old as
John and his black hair was short and dark, but still two times longer than
twice as long as
John's. Only his heart was thousands of times smaller, for he was known as the most cruel man in these lands. Now he had just proved it to his young companion.
A minute later they were walking towards the nearest town. There was no path and the dunes were changing their forms and places every ten minutes, but the two men knew they were headed west and there was no sign of confusion on their faces.
John was thinking about old Sam's friendly look, his long yellow coat, and his warm smile,
either a semicolon instead of the comma, or remove the next "were"
all those things were now buried in the middle of nowhere. His grayish, curly and
no "and"
long hair and beard were gone, too. But most of all, John missed Sam's endless stories of giant creatures and brave heroes. This old man was
had been
such a good company... Who was to blame for his dead
death
?
The story was too complicated, but all the three man
each of the three men
: Peter Dudley, Sam Stone and of course John Marsh, had a peace
it would be "piece" not "peace", but "fault" isn't quite right, either. "bore part of the blame" perhaps?
of the fault. Three days ago, when John and Sam were
had still been
still in the town of Briville, they were talking about their plan. John remembered every single word they had been saying.
had said
“Be quiet,” He had replied. “Somebody will hear us and we're dead! Nobody robs a bank in
no "in"
these days without paying with his life for it.”
“Yes, but we won't rob our bank. We'll travel through the desert to Minetown and when we do it, we'll get back here with bags, full of money. But we need a little help.”
“What do you mean?”
“We'll ask Dudley for help!”
John needed a little time to bring himself to his senses. He realized he didn't want to answer this question and remained silent.
“At least he's no longer telling his stupid stories,” said Peter Dudley again, as though he wanted to make John mad.
But instead of madness, a little ray of joy entered the young man's thoughts. He remembered one beautiful story that Sam had told him earlier this day. It was a story for desert elves with houses, hidden in the dust and blades, made of silver and gold. They were elves-defenders of the good and the biggest nightmare of the evil. “They live in this desert, and they're watching us right now, sure thing. I've seen them, but they didn't want to talk to me and they all escaped somewhere. I'm telling you the truth. If you don't believe me, leave a gold coin right here on this stone and if you come back tomorrow, I bet you won't find it!” Those were Sam's last words before the bullet pierced his chest. Too bad that the gun was in Dudley's hands now, because John wanted only one thing and it wasn't the bags, full of gold, nor to get back in the town harmless
probably "unharmed" – "harmless" means "incapable of doing harm"
, he wanted revenge.
Soon the night came and the wind disappeared. It was a really quiet night, and dark as well. The rage of the sun was replaced by the gentle touch of the moon but it turned out that the heat was way better than the cold. They stopped to make a camp.
“We have to sleep now,” said Peter Dudley, “It's a long way to Briville.”
But, of course! The night was John's weapon and he had to use it. That was his opportunity to destroy his partner in his sleep.
“Yes, let's rest,” those were his first words since they left old Sam's body in the middle of the desert.
It was time for action...
However, as soon as he laid on the ground, he felt so exhausted, that he couldn't control his eyelids. His body was craving for
no "for" – and probably "craved" rather than "was craving"
some sleep. He wasn't sure weather
whether
would have been
be able to stand up if he had waited a little longer and the need for sleep grew faster than expected.
It was impossible to stand up immediately, because his companion would suspect something and wouldn't fall asleep later. On the other hand, it wasn't a good idea to stay that way
what way? Lying down?
either, because it was quite possible
for
another bullet to be fired, this time in his chest. That thought hit him like a heavy fist and he found some more strength inside him, just to think of an appropriate plan.
Suddenly, he sensed movement somewhere in front of him. He looked at his companion, but Peter Dudley was motionless. Perhaps some desert creature was searching for its dinner in the cover of the
probably without the "the" - possibly "under cover of darkness"
darkness.
He managed to get over this dispersing and concentrated on his new plan. He was about to reach in his pocket and pull out something, when a similar noise came from the opposite direction.
It was familiar and this time was much clearer. Someone was walking there! However, this someone was so fast, that for a a couple of seconds the noise moved away and was completely swallowed by some distant roar. Both the sounds weren't typical for these lands.
John felt like hundreds of bugs were walking on his back. He looked toward Peter Dudley. He was sleeping-- or at least he was acting it really well. His breathing was slow and a bit noisy.
If someone had come to take their gold in their sleep, they would have been dead by now. He looked around feverish
feverishly in all possible directions
in all the possible directions. There were no signs of something
anything
alive. After a few minutes he calmed down and returned to his previous goal-- killing his evil partner.
“Damn,” thought the young man, “If only I could get closer and stab him with my knife.” he pulled the little blade out of his pocked
pocket
. “But then what? I'll be alone if another threat appears. I better not do it now. When we get to Briville-- there he will meet his doom!” Than he put his knife back in the pocket.
For good or bad, all the sounds were gone, perhaps hiding or even stalking behind the dunes or deep in John's imagination, where he thought their home was.
John looked up in the skies. Millions of stars were shining in millions of different ways. “Dragon eyes, the stars are nothing but the eyes of those big creatures. Lots of 'em,” a familiar voice from the past came into John's mind. “If you disappoint them, they won't come back tomorrow, so be good to others and the dragons will always keep an eye on you.” Strange words from the mouth of a bank robber.
One tiny smile sneaked on his face. Despite his effort, he closed his eyes and fell asleep instantly.
“Wake up. Johnny,” were the first words he heard the next morning.
And one strong kick was the first thing he felt.
“It's almost noon, get up!”
John stood up and beat the dust out of his clothes. He felt like his head was about to explode on his shoulders but tasted the energy of the new day. Still breathing-- everything was fine.
“You'll take the bags today, since the old fool is dead.”
Those words helped the young man to wake up fully and made his hunger for revenge a little bigger.
John lifted the heavy bags, full of gold and, without saying a word, followed his companion on their way – towards the west horizon. They had only a few more days to travel, and a few more nights to sleep. There was plenty of water and plenty of bread for ten men to cross the same distance.
Soon the memory of the last night started to fade-- but returned fast after Peter Dudley said:
“You wanted to kill me, didn't you, boy!” Those words came so unexpected
unexpectedly
, that John almost dropped the gold on the ground. “You should have done it, cause' now I have something in mind for you.”
“You can't kill me,” continued Peter Dudley at least half an hour later, as though he waited for his previous words to scare the young man enough. “You're a fool! And If you try, I'll smash your face with my bare hands.” He was talking slow
slowly
, almost to himself.

TO BE CONTINUED...

(SPOILER)!

-the fantasy part is in the end-

I'd like to thank chrispenycate once again. Now, here is the rest of the story (not edited). I've tried to use as much things I don't know as possible, so it probably has as many mistakes as the previous part.

“You can't kill me,” continued Peter Dudley at least half an hour later, as though he waited for his previous words to scare the young man enough. “You're a fool! And If you try, I'll smash your face with my bare hands.” He was talking slowly, almost to himself.
The night came again, and they both laid on the ground in their warm blankets.
John felt helplessness. He was watching the stars, as though he was expecting an answer from the wise dragons. He didn't have much time, because he knew, that as soon as they got close enough to Briville, his cruel partner would kill him and take all the money.
It was time for action... again...
He decided to try to stab Peter Dudley in his sleep, so he reached his pocket. His face became gloomy-- the knife wasn't there! His only hope was this shiny blade, now gone. Helplessness grew bigger.
“Looking for something?” A dreadful voice shocked his mind. “I took it while you was sleeping last night, you think I'm stupid?” His talking became screaming: “I asked you something, you think I'm stupid?” Those last words he shouted like a madman: “Answer me!”
Then he stood up fast, clenched his fists and shouted again, this time something John didn't understand. One bony but amazingly strong fist landed on the young man's face. Then one more time, and again, and again...
Peter Dudley, like a wild animal, was hitting his companion with a frenzy grimace on his face. After a few punches he stopped for a second, just to enjoy his superiority. His victim was on the ground, bleeding.
John didn't wait for a better chance. He kicked his enemy in the knee-cap with all the strength he had left. Somehow managed to knock him down with one more kick and jumped on him with rage.
The two men were fighting-- rolling in the sand, and roaring. However, one of them had two weapons, and the other one had none. Peter Dudley pulled out his gun and it's muzzle leaned against John's skull.-- but the young man was so furious, that he didn't even noticed it!
A heavy hit knocked Peter Dudley on the ground. A downpour of kicks unarmed him, and one final fist in the nose made him loose consciousness.
John's heart was beating irrepressibly. Things had happened so fast, that he was still unable to realize what was going on. For a moment he thought this was a dream, but the body in front of him proved him wrong. Finally, he managed to fully understand the situation and even felt satisfaction enter his body, followed by warm thrills of joy. He was free and Sam was almost revenged!
The wind had appeared again, moving tons on sand throughout the yellow fields. It was quiet. Perhaps too quiet...
John crouched and grabbed the gun. A shot broke that disturbing silence and left him all alone in this place.

He woke up the next morning, running with sweat. The first thing he saw was the dead body of Peter Dudley, the second was a puddle of blood right next to him, and the third was-- the third was an empty bag, covered with sand! He jumped with the gun in his hand. Where was the gold?
Someone must had robbed him in his sleep-- but why was he still alive? Then he remembered those strange sounds, he had heard the previous night.
John screamed and kicked the stone, where the coins had been staying. One thought ran through his mind immediately. “Desert elves, they exist, it's for sure!” Was it possible for old Sam's stories to be true? “Leave a coin on the stone and they'll take it!” But that was nonsense! He screamed once again and took the leather bag. All the coins were taken.
With no gold he had to return to Briviille and leave in his old house. However, many people would ask what happened to Sam Stone and Peter Dudley. Sooner or later someone would find their bodies here and recognize them.
The escape seemed impossible. There were only two reachable towns but a certain death was waiting in both of them.
That bullet in the gun had become a little tempting for the young man. If only did he knew that whoever visited him last night, had taken it and vanished together with the knife and everything he desired...

And I know the ending isn't good but it's just an exercise, after all :).

o_O .... hhhmmmm. I was again tempted to edit this, but I'm not going to do it as I would be changing your author voice. The mistakes what I see are cosmetic, but rather important for understand the overall story. These mistakes are with the use of your names, as you don't have to use full name every single time and the lack of using name in places where one would expect to see them.

I would recommend you to put the story away for a while and read it when you have a fresh mind to see the subject. When you read it, read it aloud rather then in your head.

I'd like to thank chrispenycate once again. Now, here is the rest of the story (not edited). I've tried to use as much things I don't know as possible, so it probably has as many mistakes as the previous part.

“You can't kill me,” continued Peter Dudley at least half an hour later, as though he waited for his previous words to scare the young man enough. “You're a fool! And If you try, I'll smash your face with my bare hands.” He was talking slowly, almost to himself.
The night came again, and they both laid
lay
on the ground in their warm blankets.
John felt helplessness
while not technically wrong, he probably felt "helpless"
. He was watching the stars, as though he was expecting an answer from the wise dragons. He didn't have much time, because he knew,
comma after the "that"
that as soon as they got close enough to Briville, his cruel partner would kill him and take all the money.
It was time for action... again...
He decided to try to stab Peter Dudley in his sleep, so he reached
into? and possibly without the second "he"
his pocket. His face became gloomy-- the knife wasn't there! His only hope was
had been
this shiny blade, now gone. Helplessness grew bigger.
“Looking for something?” A dreadful voice shocked his mind. “I took it while you was sleeping last night, you think I'm stupid?” His talking became screaming: “I asked you something, you think I'm stupid?” Those last words he shouted like a madman: “Answer me!”
Then he stood up fast, clenched his fists and shouted again, this time something John didn't understand. One bony but amazingly strong fist landed on the young man's face. Then one more time, and again, and again...
Peter Dudley, like a wild animal, was hitting his companion with a frenzy
frenzied
grimace on his face. After a few punches he stopped for a second, just to enjoy his superiority. His victim was on the ground, bleeding.
John didn't wait for a better chance. He kicked his enemy in the knee-cap with all the strength he had left. Somehow managed to knock him down with one more kick and jumped on him with rage.
The two men were fighting-- rolling in the sand, and roaring. However, one of them had two weapons, and the other one had none. Peter Dudley pulled out his gun and it's
its
muzzle leaned against John's skull.-- but the young man was so furious,
no comma
that he didn't even noticed it!
A heavy hit
blow?
knocked Peter Dudley on
to?
the ground. A downpour of kicks unarmed
disarmed him, and one final fist in the nose made him loose consciousness.
John's heart was beating irrepressibly. Things had happened so fast,
no comma
that he was still unable to realize what was going on. For a moment he thought this was a dream, but the body in front of him proved him wrong. Finally, he managed to fully understand the situation and even felt satisfaction enter his body, followed by warm thrills of joy. He was free and Sam was almost revenged!
The wind had appeared again, moving tons on sand throughout the yellow fields. It was quiet. Perhaps too quiet...
John crouched and grabbed the gun. A shot broke that disturbing silence and left him all alone in this place.

He woke up the next morning, running with sweat. The first thing he saw was the dead body of Peter Dudley, the second was a puddle of blood right next to him, and the third was-- the third was an empty bag, covered with sand! He jumped
up?
with the gun in his hand. Where was the gold?
Someone must had robbed him in his sleep-- but why was he still alive? Then he remembered those strange sounds, he had heard the previous night.
John screamed and kicked the stone, where the coins had been staying
possibly "resting", or nothing at all, rather than "staying"
. One thought ran through his mind immediately. “Desert elves, they exist, it's for sure!” Was it possible for old Sam's stories to be true? “Leave a coin on the stone and they'll take it!” But that was nonsense! He screamed once again and took the leather bag. All the coins were taken.
With no gold he had to return to Briviille and leave
live
in his old house. However, many people would ask what happened to Sam Stone and Peter Dudley. Sooner or later someone would find their bodies here and recognize them.
The
without the "The"?
escape seemed impossible. There were only two reachable towns but
is it not "and" rather than "but"?
a certain death was waiting in both of them.
That bullet in the gun had become a little tempting for the young man. If only did he knew
if only he had known
that whoever visited him last night,
no comma
had taken it and vanished
comma
together with the knife and everything he desired...

And I know the ending isn't good but it's just an exercise, after all :).

Nothing is "just" an exercise; and that ending, that while the desert creatures had taken life away from one of the men, they had been even more cruel and taken away all hope, even that of death, from the other, could be made to work, although it doesn't at the moment.

Let's hope somebody who does style rather than merely grammar ventures along; I think this is all I can manage.

Well I couldn't resist.

“Oh my God! You shot him dead,” John scream faded into the yellow heat. The desert swallowed it, as no sound had ever come out from his mouth. Even if the winds hadn’t been blowing so furiously, his voice wouldn't have been heard by anyone, as the nearest town was far away from this forsaken place.

“We don't have enough water. I had to do it,” replied Peter Dudley, John's companion. He stood over the corpse of Old Sam, and holding a smoking gun in his hands, while he stared John with manic grin on his face.

“What are you talking about? We have two gallons of fresh water!”

John felt a wave of pure anger entering his mind. He knew that his partner was unpredictable but his action was way beyond being admissible.

“Anyway, he won't need his share now,” Dudley's face suddenly changed from dark to almost happy, as he waved his gun towards the bags of gold. “And we don’t have to listen to his stupid stories for wizards and dragons anymore. Frankly, he was drivin' me nuts--”

John didn’t care about his little speech as waves of nausea engulfed him and forced him to throw the hasty lunch they made before. Just as he felt a little better, he saw from corner of his eye old man’s blood rapidly sinking into the moving sands, and he threw up again.

“First time with the dead man, eh?” his companion smirked.

John didn’t answer; he just glared Peter with hate in his mind.

“What's the matter, boy? Don't give me that angry look, cause' I have two more bullets and frankly… I don't mind to be travelling alone…”

It was enough to replace John's anger with a tinge of fear. He really didn’t want to be laying there next to the Old Sam.

“Let's go,” ordered Peter Dudley with an imperative tone. It was first time when John heard Peter using it. Mister Dudley was tall and thin with deep black eyes and nose twice as big as John's. He was about forty-years-old, two times older than John. His black hair was short and dark, but still two times longer than John's. Only his dark heart was thousands of times smaller, for as he was known to be the cruellest man in these lands. Now he had proven it to his young companion.

A minute later they were walking towards the nearest town. Although, there was no path and the dunes kept changing their forms and places every ten minutes, the two men knew they were to head to the west. There was no doubt about that.

John thought about Old Sam's, his long yellow coat and his warm smile that had sparked from under his long, curly and grey beard. They were gone. But most of all, John missed Sam's endless stories of the giant creatures and brave heroes. The old man had been such a good company... Who was to blame for his death?

The story was too complicated, but all the three man: Peter Dudley, Sam Stone and of course John Marsh, had a piece of the vault. Three days ago, when John and Sam were still in the town of Briville, they had been talking about their plan. John remembered every single word of their conversation.

“Be quiet,” he had replied. “Somebody will hear us and we're dead! Nobody robs a bank in these days without paying with his life for it.”

“Yes, but we won't rob our bank. We'll travel through the desert to the Minetown and when we do it, we'll get back here with bags, full of money. But we need a little help.”

“What do you mean?”

“We'll ask Dudley for help.”

John needed a little time to bring himself to his senses. He didn't want to answer to this question and he remained silent.

“At least he’s no longer telling his stupid stories,” Peter smirked.

But instead of madness, a little ray of joy entered the young man's thoughts. He remembered one of the beautiful stories that Sam had told him earlier. It was a story about the desert elves living in the houses that were hidden in the dust and blades, made of silver and gold. They were elves-defenders of the good and the biggest nightmare of the evil. “They live in this desert, and they're watching us right now” The old man had said. “It’s a sure thing. I've seen them. They didn't want to talk to me and they all escaped somewhere. I'm telling you the truth. You got to trust me. If you don't believe me, leave a gold coin right here on this stone and if you come back tomorrow, I bet you won't find it!” Those were Sam's last words before the bullet had pierced his chest. Too bad that the gun was in Dudley's hands, because John only wanted one thing and it wasn't the bags full of gold, nor it was to get back in the town harmless. He wanted revenge.

As soon the night arrived, the wind disappeared. The land became quiet as the darkness fell upon it as the scorching rage of the Sun were replaced by a gentle and cool touch of the Moon. They stopped to make a camp.

“We have to sleep now,” said Peter Dudley, “It's a long way to Briville”

“Yes, let's rest,” were his first words since they left Old Sam's body in the middle of the desert.

It was time for his revenge.

However, as soon as he lay on the ground, John felt so exhausted, that he couldn't control his eyelids. His body craved for some sleep. He wasn't sure whether he would be able to stand up if he had waited for a little longer. Maybe it was better to wait for little longer as then his companion wouldn’t be suspecting anything … not if he was sleeping.

On the other hand, it wasn't a good idea to not to do anything as John suspected that the next bullet fired from Peter’s gun would be his end. That thought hit him like a heavy fist and he found some more strength inside him, just to think of an appropriate plan.

Suddenly, John sensed movement somewhere in front of him. He looked at his companion, but Peter Dudley remained motionless. Perhaps it was some desert creatures searching for their dinner in the cover of the darkness.

John managed to get over this dispersing feeling and concentrated on his new plan. He was about to reach in his pocket and pull out something, when a familiar noise came from behind him. It sounded as if someone or something was walking there. But it was so fast, that in a couple of seconds the sound moved away and was completely swallowed by a distant roar. Neither of the noises weren't typical for these lands, but they made John to feel as if hundred of bugs were walking on his back. He looked companion. Peter was sleeping, or then he was acting it really well. His breathing was slow and a bit noisy.

I guess if someone would have come take their gold, they would be dead by now.’ John thought. He feverishly looked around in all the possible directions. There were no signs of anything being alive. After a couple minutes he calmed down and returned to his previous goal … his revenge.

Damn,’ he thought, ‘If only I could get closer and stab him with my knife.’ He pulled a small blade out from his pocked, and looked it gleaming in pale moon light.. ‘But then what? I'll be alone when another threat appears. Maybe it’s better to wait for a while. When we get to Briville … there … there he will meet his doom.’ It was better to put the blade back where it belongs.

For a good or bad, all the sounds had disappeared. Perhaps they were hiding, or even stalking behind the dunes … or maybe they were deep in John's imagination.

John looked up in the skies. Millions of stars were shining in millions of different ways. “Dragon eyes, the stars are nothing but the eyes of those big creatures. Lots of 'em,” a familiar voice from the past came into John's mind. “If you disappoint them, they won't come back tomorrow, so be good to the others and the dragons will always keep an eye on you.” Those were strange words coming from the mouth of a bank robber. But they sparked a tiny smile on John’s face. Despite his earlier intention, he closed his and fell asleep instantly.

“Wake up. Johnny,” were the first words he heard at the next morning, followed by a kick on his aching muscles. “It's almost noon, get up.”

John stood up and beat the dust out of his clothes. He felt like his head was about to explode, but tasted the energy of the new day. ‘Still breathing,’ he thought. ‘Everything’s fine.’

“You'll take the bags today, since the old fool is dead.” Peter demanded.

Those words helped the young man to wake up, but they also made hunger for his revenge a little bit bigger.

John lifted the heavy bags - full of gold - without saying a word and followed his companion on their way towards the western horizon.

They had only a few more days to travel, and a few more nights to sleep. They had a plenty of water and bread for a ten men to cross the same distance. Soon the thought from last night started to fade, but they returned fast when his grim companion spat out. “You wanted to kill me, didn't you, boy!”

Those words came so unexpected, that John almost dropped the gold on the ground.

“You should have done it, cause’ now I know what’s in your mind.”

“You know, you can't kill me,” Peter continued at least half an hour later. Even though his previous words were still ringing in John’s mind. “You're a fool, and if you try anything. I'll smash your face in with my bare hands.” He was talking slow, almost to himself.

The night came again, and they both lay down under their warm blankets.

John felt helplessness. He watched the stars, believing that those ancient and wise dragons were going to give him an answer. There was not much of a time. Because soond they would see Briville in horizon, his cruel partner would probably end his days and take all the money.

It was time for the revenge... again...

He decided to try to stab Peter Dudley in his sleep, so he reached his pocket to only find out that they knife wasn’t there. His only hope had been this shiny blade, and now it was gone. A moment by a moment, his helplessness grew bigger.

“Looking for something?” A dreadful voice shocked him out from his thought. “I took it while you were sleeping last night. Did you think I'm STUPID?” His talking became screaming: “DO YOU REALLY THINK I’M SOMEKIND OF AN IDIOT?” Those last words he shouted like a madman: “ANSWER ME…”

Peter bolt up. He clenched his fists and shouted again. This time, in a tongue John couldn’t understand. Then one bony, but amazingly strong fist landed on the young man's face. Followed by another and another …

Mister Dudley acted like a wild animal. He smashed his companion with a frenzy grimace on his face. After a few more punches he stopped to admire his superiority as his helpless victim laid on the ground gasping, bleeding.

John didn't wait for a better chance. He kicked his enemy in the knee-cap with all the strength he had left. It worked and John jumped on Peter with a bloody rage consuming his mind.

The two men rolled in the sand, and roared. However, one of them had two weapons, and the other one had none. Peter whipped out his gun and aimed it on John head. But the young man was so furious that he didn't even notice it. A heavy hit knocked Peter Dudley on the ground. Then John was all over him. A downpour of blows streamed down as his he consumed last of his rage.

After a short while, John realized that Peter didn’t move anymore. Thing had happened so fast. For a moment he thought he was in dream, but the body in front of him proved him wrong.

Finally, John managed to understand the situation he was in, and he felt satisfaction, followed by warm thrills of joy. He was free and the old man was … almost revenged. The wind howled in the desert, moving tons of sand throughout the yellow field. Then it was so quiet; perhaps too quiet. John crouched and grabbed the gun. A shot broke the disturbing silence.

When John woke up the next morning, he was running with sweat and the first thing he saw was the dead body of his mad companion, laying on top of the dark red sad, and … an empty bag that covered with the sand. John jumped up with the gun in his hand.

Where was the gold?

Someone must robbed him while he had been sleeping, but why he was still alive? Then he remembered those strange sounds that he had heard the previous night.

John screamed a anger and kicked a stone. Immediately, one thought ran through his mind. “Desert elves, they exist…” He muttered. Was it possible that Old Sam's stories were true? “Leave a coin on the stone and they'll take it!” He had said. But that was nonsense. John screamed once again, and looked into the leather bag. All the coins were gone.

With no gold he would have to return to the Briville, and live in his old house. However, John was so sure that many people would ask what happened to Sam Stone and Peter Dudley. Sooner or later someone would find their corpses. The escape seemed impossible. There were only two reachable towns, but a certain death was waiting in both of them. That last bullet in the gun became a little bit too tempting for the young man. If only did he’d know where the gold had gone ...

Last edited:
The rule is to separate the paragraphs, but I personally prefer to place the text inside the quotation marks.

I won't offer anything further re grammar and syntax as you've been given such a thorough crit by Chrispencate. I liked your story a lot and think you've done a great job. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.