The Top 30, or so, Martial Arts films...

Yeah i saw that in imdb that its also called 36th Chamber of Shaolin but when i rented it last year i knew the DVD name which was The Master Killer.

Easy the best Shaolin movie i have seen, i loved the training and the choreography was one of the best i have seen from shaolin,monk type movies. Specially for a 1978 movie.

I didnt knew about a sequal, i must have it now :)

Gorden Liu is totaly unknown to me too. Since i didnt know his english sounding HK name. Hi Liu something i read in imdb, i call him H Liu for short :p

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman (1969) - Dir: Chang Cheh

return_one.jpg

Return of the One Armed Swordsman tells the continuing story of Feng Geng (Jimmy Wang Yu), and how he is pulled out of seclusion back into the Jiang Hu, or the underground world of martial arts. After enacting his revenge in the first film (getting back at the people who robbed him of his arm), Feng leaves the life of chivalry and martial arts behind and sojourns to the country with his new wife Hsiao Ma. Together they live their lives as simple farmers and have little contact with the outside world. Since forsaking the way of the swordsman, Feng has hung his broken-bladed sword on a mantle: it's presence and that of his missing arm serve as reminders of his previous life. But all too soon, Feng Geng is reluctantly called back into action, as the 8 Demon Swordsmen threaten the other martial clans across the land. With some gentle and, eventually, coarse prodding from a group of young masters and his wife, Feng once again wields his broken blade and sheds ample amounts of enemy blood

ros1.jpg

The action in this film is not as technical as it is in many of Cheng Cheh’s other films. It is not necessarily even kung fu, as this film has more in common with the Japanese chambara genre than it does with a typical Hong Kong kung fu picture. This is a wuxia pian, and an early one at that. However, whatever the fights may lack in technical prowess, they more than make up for it with bloodshed, abundance, and chaotic energy.

Perhaps the most intricately staged fight sequence is when Feng Geng and the young masters, take on Hell’s Buddha, one of the 8 Demon Swordsmen, and his band of thugs. Hell’s Buddha specializes in ninja-like abilities, as he and his cohorts zip and fly around a bamboo thicket, hiding and vanishing and bursting out of the ground with blades swinging. This sequence is fast and furious, and the editing is top notch. Although some primitive wire work is used, as well as some not so special effects, through the power of editing and the skill of those involved, the bamboo thicket quickly and beautifully becomes a collection of lost limbs, and small geysers of blood.

ros2.jpg

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman should be considered a top-tier film, genre or otherwise. Why this film isn’t talked about with the same enthusiasm or respect as the films of Kurosawa, Leone, Peckinpah, Scorsese or other great genre filmmakers is a mystery to me. Sure, it is made on a smaller scale than the film's of these other masters, but such were the times at the Shaw Brothers' studios. RotOAS is classic cinema, period. The film is mature, undertakes a complex character study, and has beautiful cinematography, a wonderful score, and breathtaking action. The writing is multifaceted in that it competently touches upon elements that make it entertaining as well as showcasing the emotional depth of a multitude of characters.

ros5.jpg

Not only does RotOAS have intact all of the elements of “great cinema”, but it also manages to be highly adventures in its narrative while offering pure entertainment. I often feel that many film critics and self proclaimed Internet film buffs are afraid to attach such accolades to genre cinema. To them I ask this question: what more does a film need to be considered important or a great work of art? So far as I can tell, RotOAS possess these elements, and more. I would argue that well made genre films are often the most artistic of films because they not only contain the elements that make films great art, but they also do something else - they entertain and have the ability to engage a wider audience.

ros4.jpg

Well made genre films require the filmmakers to be ultra-creative. After all, they are not working within an established reality, but instead, the filmmakers must create an entire world with logic and rules and physics of its own. The only limiting factor of great genre cinema is the limits of the imagination of its creators. Chang Cheh’s name should be mentioned with the rest when anyone talks about the important filmmakers. Hopefully as we champions of genre-cinema preach and inform the uninitiated, Chang and filmmakers like him will get the credit they really deserve and films like Return of the One-Armed Swordsman will be discussed along side other films deserving of the “great cinema” title.

good picks.

i'd add "my father is a hero" with jet li and tse miu.

and my son adores the same actor combo in "legend of the red dragon"

wonder is there is a martial arts film gene.....??

oh and "deadly china hero" of the wong fei hung movies with jet li where he does his angry drunk version of drunken style and fights a giant centipede dressed as a chicken. priceless.

A martial arts film gene, eh?

Probably explains it...

:)

Deadly China Hero is ridiculous, and oh so much fun. Totally irreverent and gonzo.

Up next...

Not so much a review, more of an essay on how this film changed my life.

Once Upon a Time in China - Dir. Tsui Hark

china1.jpg

While I have enjoyed, and loved, many films throughout my life, there is one film that stands out because of the doors it opened for my cinematic journey. This film opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at genre cinema, and led me to discover countless other films, directors, actors and filmmakers. It also opened my eyes to seeing, and appreciating, an entire country's cinematic output in a way I had never done before. This film is Tsui Hark's landmark martial arts epic, Once Upon a Time in China.

Being a child of the '80s, I grew up loving karate and ninjas. I've said it before, but it deserves repeating, the '80s were in fact the “just add ninja,” era, and ninjas were about the coolest things ever. G.I. Joe had two awesome ninjas (and we all loved G.I. Joe), and the home video retailers always had a plethora of cheaply made ninja movies ready to be consumed by our VCRs and mimicked on the playgrounds at school. I was also quite fond of Black Belt Theatre, my weekly escape into the kung fu genre that wowed me and entertained me for many years. I would watch, and wanted to watch, anything that had anything to do with ninjas and the martial arts – that's just the way it was, it was meant to be.

After the 1980s and the death of Black Belt Theatre, kung fu cinema, and ninja-cinema, kind of fell off of my radar. These, of course, were the dark days of home cinema – great foreign genre cinema was almost impossible to come by on VHS. That is until around 1993, when a young Blockbuster clerk pointed me in the direction of a local Asian-video retailer called 5-Star Video, and I discovered Once Upon a Time, Jet Li and Tsui Hark. Upon my first viewing, I had no idea what to expect, and I thought the film might offer up the same kind of cheesy revenge-narratives and hokey dubbing found in the kung fu films I devoured as a youngling. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. My mind was fully blown – glowing from my television was a film that not only contained some of the best and most outrageous action I had ever seen (I'll never forget my first experience seeing Jet Li move), but the narrative on display was far more complex and involving than any other martial arts film I had seen up until this point.

Once Upon a Time is awash in political intrigue and civil unrest, and depicts Hong Kong during a time of great change and turmoil. It is a story of a great Chinese hero, Wong Fei Hong (Jet Li), and how this hero led the people of Hong Kong to stand up against the imperialistic western invasion of the British colonizers. The story told in this film opened my eyes to the true abilities of Hong Kong filmmakers. I mean, I knew they could make some highly entertaining martial arts films, but I just never expected to see a film offer up such a moving and epic narrative. This wasn't because I didn't think Hong Kong filmmakers were capable of making “real” movies, it was just because I never even knew to look past the caliber of films shown on Black Belt Theatre. For this I am most grateful, this film opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at world-cinema, and also opened the doors that have led to a lifelong passion for Asian filmmakers.

From the moment the film was over, I knew I had to see more: I wanted more Tsui Hark, and more Jet Li, and, not to mention, more of this wicked wire-assisted action. From here my cinematic endeavors gravitated towards the films of Ching Siu Tung, Jackie Chan, Jing Wong, and Yeun Woo Ping, and films such as Butterfly and Sword, The Flying Daggers, New Dragon Gate Inn, and A Chinese Ghost Story. It was like discovering a whole new section at the video store – a section that happened to contain some of the greatest, most beautiful, most action packed, and amazing films I had ever seen. I truly felt alive, and like I had discovered some great cinematic secret-treasure. I became a young man on a mission, a mission to unearth as many of these films as possible – I dug through the dark and dusty shelves of video stores clearly on the wrong side of the tracks, and worked hard to gain the trust of the retail clerks who wanted nothing to do with a gweilo such as myself.

But alas, it was all worth it. All of the strange looks, and mispronounced titles and names, and all of the driving around looking for the next best flick – it was all for my passion. The seed for this passion may have, in fact, been planted with the help of Stormshadow, Snake Eyes, American Ninja, and Black Belt Theatre, but it was Tsui Hark and Jet Li who really fostered and nourished my love for Asian cinema. And because of this fact, I will always hold Once Upon a Time up in the highest regard. This film is my mythological herald, calling me on my journey to seek out, discover, and understand all of the great films from Hong Kong, China, Korea and Japan

I've been living in China for 2 years and I've seen...a lot...of Chinese films. Unfortunately, I have to say...I don't remember liking any of them :(

Before I got to China I fell in love with Stephen Chow's Shaolin Soccer. Very funny, crazy, and I like soccer so it was pretty much perfect for me.

Then, when I heard out he had a new movie coming out I was itching to see it. Heard Ebert, et.al. absolutely GUSH over the thing, so I was there opening day. That movie was Kung Fu Hustle, and I was pretty disappointed. Then again, I pretty much went into the film expecting the second-coming.

Anyway, skip ahead and I'm in China. I picked up some Stephen Chow DVD collections (who I now know as Zhou Xing Chi). I find myself really struggling to watch them. Literally, like I'm forcing myself to keep my eyes on the screen.

The man has been in over 60 films (I think), so maybe that's part of the problem. Quality control. At the same time though, my friends will suggest this or that "classic" and after a half hour either my mind is wandering thinking about my next credit card payment or I'm tearing my hair out.

It's not just because Chinese films made in the 90's look as if they were made in the 70's...

It's more to do with:

1.) The translation. Trying to translate crude Hong Kong slang and cultural in-jokes is pretty much impossible. Worse yet, it's often "cleaned up" for the english translation. So we have to pause after my friends are rolling around on the floor so I can find out what was actually just said. It's depressing.

2.) They seem to drag on forever and are often completely incomprehensible.

3.) There's always a love story plotline thrown in that almost never works at all and doesn't even seem like it's part of the same film.

It's not the sub-titles that bother me. Like I said, I loved Shaolin Soccer and other stuff like Ong Bak and Crouching Tiger and Iron Monkey.

I guess once my Mandarin improves I'll have a better shot at enjoying them (then again it seems 99% of them are filmed in Cantonese...).

Maybe I should try and steer clear of the comedies for a while...

I'll try and track some of these down, hard to find english subs sometimes though. Thanks for the suggestions! Luckily ass-kicking doesn't need much translation! 谢谢你!

What about LONE WOLF AND CUB, (can't remember the original title), its about a samuri who's beeen betrayed by his master and so he flees with his young son afer his family is attacked, and sets out for revenge. It's my fav martial arts even though it hasn't got some of the extended fight scenes like others of the genre.

After doing a search the one i'm talking about was Sword of Vengence where he faces the Ronin. heres a link to the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

What about LONE WOLF AND CUB, (can't remember the original title), its about a samuri who's beeen betrayed by his master and so he flees with his young son afer his family is attacked, and sets out for revenge. It's my fav martial arts even though it hasn't got some of the extended fight scenes like others of the genre.

After doing a search the one i'm talking about was Sword of Vengence where he faces the Ronin. heres a link to the wiki page Lone Wolf and Cub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've seen all the Lone Wolf & Cub movies. Lots of gore and cool samurai-ness. They were fun, but by the end of each I couldn't be too excited about them (I'd give them passing grades though), I think because they might have been too slow. I've heard that Shogun Assassin (which is, I think, an edited down version of the first 3 films combined) is a classic to most people. Haven't seen it but I'd like to. Would love to see these re-made on a big budget.

Actually I tracked down a lot of flicks that inspired Kill Bill (loved it), they were usually pretty interesting, but all of them are pretty dated and a few were just jaw-droppingly awful.

Anyway, Lone Wolf & Cub is a pretty cool story, I ended up buying one of those little graphic novel books. But at $11 a shot, something you can read in an hour...I'm not about to pick up the other 10 or 12 in the series! (Edit: Apparently there are 28! Hello poorhouse!)

Last edited:

After doing a search the one i'm talking about was Sword of Vengence where he faces the Ronin. heres a link to the wiki page Lone Wolf and Cub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like these films (seen them all) but not enough to include them in a top 30 of all time.

I guess I should continue this list since people are actually reading and commenting!

:)

I've seen all the Lone Wolf & Cub movies. Lots of gore and cool samurai-ness. They were fun, but by the end of each I couldn't be too excited about them (I'd give them passing grades though), I think because they might have been too slow. I've heard that Shogun Assassin (which is, I think, an edited down version of the first 3 films combined) is a classic to most people. Haven't seen it but I'd like to. Would love to see these re-made on a big budget.

Actually I tracked down a lot of flicks that inspired Kill Bill (loved it), they were usually pretty interesting, but all of them are pretty dated and a few were just jaw-droppingly awful.

Anyway, Lone Wolf & Cub is a pretty cool story, I ended up buying one of those little graphic novel books. But at $11 a shot, something you can read in an hour...I'm not about to pick up the other 10 or 12 in the series! (Edit: Apparently there are 28! Hello poorhouse!)

Trust me you cant read 200+ pages of Lone Wolf GN in a hour. I have the books and it takes time. Great art,plus adult themed manga takes time.

They are one of the classic mangas so i think they are worth it. Its the Kurasawa in his samurai movies of manga that series. Those two creators created Gekiga ei adult manga in their times. Sure action but alot more things happen than that. Samurai cultures,codes,religion etc is the important theme.

Where did you get the movies ? Dvd or vhs or internet downloading ?

The entire series is out on R1 DVD. The TV series is also being released now. Not sure what region you're in.

The region that cant watch RI DVD.

Sometimes its a real disadvantage living a country so small and near the north pole.

Plus my books,comics/mangas make me broke already i cant afford dvd collectiong too. Time to go pirate on this :p

Trust me you cant read 200+ pages of Lone Wolf GN in a hour. I have the books and it takes time. Great art,plus adult themed manga takes time.

They are one of the classic mangas so i think they are worth it. Its the Kurasawa in his samurai movies of manga that series. Those two creators created Gekiga ei adult manga in their times. Sure action but alot more things happen than that. Samurai cultures,codes,religion etc is the important theme.

Where did you get the movies ? Dvd or vhs or internet downloading ?

Alright, maybe it was longer than an hour. But certainly much shorter than a normal book. And maybe they are fantastic. But $300 for the series? Just doesn't seem right to me. Glad I don't still collect comics!

I rented them on a Canadian version of Netflix Zip.ca

You said you can't play Region 1 movies. Can't you get a region-free player?

Davis, just want to tell you I'm enjoying the list and trying to see as many of them as I can. Should I just watch them in the order you list though?

I saw "chocolate" the other day and loved it - much prefered it to ong bak, which I found a bit bland.

Great list D Davis. There are some on here that I haven't seen and will have to hunt down pretty soon. One of my personal faves, although purely for the comedy factor, is Shaolin vs. Lama. I just love the idea of peaceful monks beating the stuffing out of each other!

Peace

Thanks guys.

Glad you like the reviews, and the films.

As far as order goes, it doesn't really matter - you can't go wrong with any of these.

There are many more to come, I've just been swamped with other stuff lately.

Shaolin vs. Lama is a fun little flick. Not top 30 worthy, but fun none-the-less.

Interesting list. I just recently taught a writing class at Boston University, "Paradox of the Hero/Heroine in East Asian Cinema and Fiction", which featured seven films - a number of which just happened to be on your list. I will check out your list for candidates for future classes - thanks!

Mr Vampire is one of my favourites. Interesting thread, I'm gonna chase down the ones I haven't seen.

I saw Jet Li in a few films, starting with "The Enforcer" or "My Father is a Hero" and also in "Hero" also some Jackie Chan films which were all right but not really my favorite ("Twin Dragons" and "Wheels on Meals") I also saw "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". We had a Hong Kong cinema night at my university so I saw other martial arts films whose titles I can't now remember. Some I liked, and others not so much. Which would be your absolute favorite martial arts films, say the top five, so that I could rent them as I do like martial arts films and wouldn't mind seeing some of the best ones.

I'm not really into martial art films any more, but when I was my favourite was Crippled Avengers aka Return of the Five Deadly Venoms. It's kind of a shame that I'd probably struggle to watch it start to finish now though.