Are there any Thieves World fans here?

Grawgos

Hey, I was just wondering if there were any fans of the Thieves World series here. I am a big fan of both the original and the new series. I started reading the original when I was about 13, I'm 33 now. I was estatic when Lynn Abbey resurrected the series and I think the 3 new books that are out are great.

Lynn has gotten some of the authors from the original series back on board and has recruited some of the greats, like Feist, Burst and McKiernan to join the project.

If you are not familiar with the series, you need to check it out. The first book of the new series is Sanctuary by Lynn Abbey. I definetley give my highest recommendation for the original and new series. Check it out if you haven't, you won't regret it.

A friend gave me books 8 and 9 of the first series for my birthday when I was about 12/13, but I'm sorry to say I didn't read them...I wanted to get all of them from book 1 and read from the beginning, but then I got hold of a Pratchett novel and all my pocket money went on that instead...

I'm thinking of trying to get hold of all of them now, though, they sound pretty cool

You should definetly buy them if you can. Tor is releasing the original series in omnibus format. The first one is out now, Thieves World: First Blood. It is a fantastic series. You could jump right into the new series without reading the old. As Molin Torchholder is dying(he was a big time character in the first book) he basically tells enough of the story of the original series to update anyone who has not read it. The good part is, that the book is not JUST a retelling of the original series. The first book of the new series is Sanctuary and that is followed by Thieves World: Turning Points(both are out in mass market) and TW:Enemies of Fortune was just released this past Dec.

I just have not run into any book or series that has that dark, grim, gritty, seedy atmosphere that TW emits. Fantastic series.

I still have my copies of the original series and Janet Morris's follow up series based her character Tempus. I also recommend those if you can find them.

Sure am.

Loved the original series, and am real glad it's been revived.
Enemies of Fortune is great.

What little of Thieve's World that I've read I found to be terribly lacking in many aspects. The characters seem to be stock, the plots nothing unusual, and just kind of dull. I picked up Sanctuary not too long ago to see if the revival was any better than the others and couldn't finish it. It just didn't capture me. That's just my opinion of course.

All out of print and the series discontinued along time ago.