Part 2 of The Duel of the Five Thieves

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
Supporter
Percy followed suit, however he soon was out distanced and found himself in a clearing strewn with round and flat boulders surrounded by trees. Determined to stay with the quest, he spurred his mare. Fancy picked up speed, but in doing so, she swerve to avoid tripping on large rocks. The sudden movement caught Percy off guard and he lost his balance and on the ground, he soon laid.

Wanting to swear and biting his tongue (for Trueys do not cuss) he stumbled to his feet while his mount looked at him with sad brown eyes.

“That is one ornery nag you got there,” cackled a voice. “You need to get rid of her. Let us take her off your hands.”

Percy turned his head to see a scruffy brown haired man wearing brown scruffy clothes and a dirty grin. Behind him were four more scruffy men, all leering at him. They also wore swords.

Brushing the dirt off himself, Percy smiled back. “She’s a good horse. The problem is with me. I’m a poor rider. Besides that, she is not mine to get rid of. She belongs to the Duke of Dare.”

“Well, then,” said the scruffy man, “since you can’t ride her anyway, me and my friends will just have to take her off your hands and return her to the duke. I’m sure the good duke will reward us generously for our good deed.”

“No no. You don’t understand,” said Percy excitedly. “I need a horse to keep up with the quest.”

The scruffy man turned toward his friends with a knowing look. His friends all snickered. The man placed his hands on his waist, bowed his head, and spat tobacco at Percy’s feet.

Percy jumped.

The scruffy man then grinned at him.

“Supposin’ you tell us what this quest is for.”

“It’s a quest for Magicwood.”

“Did you hear that guys? Magicwood!”

The five men laughed loudly. One called out, “He’s a liar! There is no such thing as Magicwood!”

When the men quit laughing, the leader stared and grimaced at Percy and asked, “Why do you say?”

“I say, he’s not only a thief, but a liar too. But what else can you expect from a Truey?”

“A Truey! Are you sure?” queried the leader.

“Look at his ears, boss. They’re pierced with copper rings.”

“Yeah, you’re right,.” The scruffy man took two strides to Percy and sneered, “Are you a Truey?”

Percy took a deep breath, “Yes, I’m a Truey.”

The scruffy man’s eyes burned, “Is it true if someone, like me, hits a Truey in the face he wouldn’t hit back?”

“Yes, the scriptures say we are to do no man violence.”

With a jar, Percy heard and felt a thud. He put his hand to his mouth; he was bleeding.

“Come on, hit me back, worm,” growled the scruffy man.

“No! I will do no violence.’’

Percy felt and heard a loud crack. He staggered and sensed more pain.

“Come on, you coward, fight back! I won’t hurt you too much if you fight.”

“No no no,” cried Percy as he essayed to retreat.

“Nooo, you aren’t going anywhere, fat boy,” said one of the other men as he and the three others blocked Percy’s escape.

All five raised their fists and swung. Percy struggled to avoid their punches to no gain. He was too slow and too fat. Battered and spent, he soon was writhing on the ground screaming as they kicked him.

“Alright, Boys, you had your fun. Now, let him be.”
This is a rewrite of my first posting of The Duel of the Five Thieves after reading critiques by Flaviosky and Wayne Mack.

Percy followed suit, however he soon was out distanced and found himself in a clearing strewn with round and flat boulders surrounded by trees. Determined to stay with the quest, he spurred his mare. Fancy picked up speed, but in doing so, she swerve to avoid tripping on large rocks. The sudden movement caught Percy off guard and he lost his balance and on the ground, he soon laid.

Wanting to swear and biting his tongue (for Trueys do not cuss) he stumbled to his feet while his mount looked at him with sad brown eyes.

“That is one ornery nag you got there,” cackled a voice. “You need to get rid of her. Let us take her off your hands.”

Percy turned his head to see a scruffy brown haired man wearing brown scruffy clothes and a dirty grin. Behind him were four more scruffy men, all leering at him. They also wore swords.

Brushing the dirt off himself, Percy smiled back. “She’s a good horse. The problem is with me. I’m a poor rider. Besides that, she is not mine to get rid of. She belongs to the Duke of Dare.”

“Well, then,” said the scruffy man, “since you can’t ride her anyway, me and my friends will just have to take her off your hands and return her to the duke. I’m sure the good duke will reward us generously for our good deed.”

“No no. You don’t understand,” said Percy excitedly. “I need a horse to keep up with the quest.”

The scruffy man turned toward his friends with a knowing look. His friends all snickered. The man placed his hands on his waist, bowed his head, and spat tobacco at Percy’s feet.

Percy jumped.

The scruffy man then grinned at him.

“Supposin’ you tell us what this quest is for.”

“It’s a quest for Magicwood.”

“Did you hear that guys? Magicwood!”

The five men laughed loudly. One called out, “He’s a liar! There is no such thing as Magicwood!”

When the men quit laughing, the leader stared and grimaced at Percy and asked, “Why do you say?”

“I say, he’s not only a thief, but a liar too. But what else can you expect from a Truey?”

“A Truey! Are you sure?” queried the leader.

“Look at his ears, boss. They’re pierced with copper rings.”

“Yeah, you’re right,.” The scruffy man took two strides to Percy and sneered, “Are you a Truey?”

Percy took a deep breath, “Yes, I’m a Truey.”

The scruffy man’s eyes burned, “Is it true if someone, like me, hits a Truey in the face he wouldn’t hit back?”

“Yes, the scriptures say we are to do no man violence.”

With a jar, Percy heard and felt a thud. He put his hand to his mouth; he was bleeding.

“Come on, hit me back, worm,” growled the scruffy man.

“No! I will do no violence.’’

Percy felt and heard a loud crack. He staggered and sensed more pain.

“Nooo, you aren’t going anywhere, fat boy,” said one of the other men as he and the three others blocked Percy’s escape.

All five raised their fists and swung. Percy struggled to avoid their punches to no gain. He was too slow and too fat. Battered and spent, he soon was writhing on the ground screaming as they kicked him.

“Alright, Boys, you had your fun. Now, let him be.”

All eyes turned to see a green hatted redhead casually sitting on a stallion grinning at them.

“Who in the hell are you?” snapped the leader.

“I am Lawrence Lee Fairmon of Renon The Fifth Son of Duke of Dare,” answered the redhead. My friends call me Daring of Dare.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard of you. So, why in a vulture’s puke should you care about a Truey?”

“Normally, I wouldn’t. In fact, I don’t like him. However, my father, Duke Edward Faremon of Dare does and needs him to make an instrument of Magicwood for the coronation of our new king. And so, sadly, Mister Persy Pane is under my protection.’’

“Magicwood! Did you hear that, boys?” sniggered the leader. “His father believes in Magicwood and he is supposed to protect a low life heretical Truey. Ain’t that a bag of manure?”

The scruffy men hooted and hollered and pounded each other on their backs. Then one of them said, “His father is full of sh*t.’’

The scruffy leader stared up at Lawrence and added, “My friend is right, your father is full of sh*t and I will add a fool’s ass.”

Like a flash of lighting in a midnight-black sky Lawrence somersaulted over his horse’s head, landed on his feet, and jabbed his Itching sword at the scruffy leader with blazing jade eyes and in a cold and growling tone said, “No one speaks that way about my father and keeps his manhood, peasant piss. En garde.”

“No one calls me peasant piss, especially a rooster boy,” snarled the leader. Then pushing Lawrence's blade aside he added, “Come on, feel the blade of a real man before you whimper and die.” Breaking the solitude of his scabbard, his sword flashed forth.

The four scruffies snickered and jeered as they gave space for the duelists. “Don’t kill him right away, boss. Leave his ass for us so we can practice tattooing.”

Lawrence move with his back to a tree that was near some boulders and took a stance and waited.

The fool, thought Percy. Struggling and sweating to stand on his feet. He’s going to get himself killed all because of words. I just hope the other four don’t interfere.

Oh, Creator, please give us a miracle. And please forgive Lawrence’s pride and foolishness.

The leader swung high to decapitate the redhead. Lawrence ducked and sliced into his foe’s belly, drawing blood. The leader snarled and backed away, then charged and lunged low, aiming for the stomach. The redhead caught the blade and quickly and effortlessly countered with another belly slash, drawing more blood. The scruffy leader charge again, steel met steel, and a cacophony ensued and ended with the scruffy one wearing lacerations.

Within minutes, leader backed peddled, breathing hard. Anger lived in his eyes, and so did fear. Trying to ignore his growing pain, he cautiously stepped forward with his arm and sword pointing outward.

Without a word, four men emulated their leader, drawing their swords and stepping toward Lawrence with grimness in their eyes.

Lawrence pounced on a flat boulder, and laughing, threw two oriental daggers.

The two sais found their marks into the chest of two scruffies. They crumbled to the ground with a gasp.

The other three men blinked, then they stormed, yelling and swinging their weapons angrily.

Lawrence leaped and danced, evading three swinging blades whilst swinging back rendering wounds. Then, adding to their frustration, he leapt over them. Lawrence being behind all of them now (including their leader), caught the scruffy leader off guard and ran him through.

The remaining two with bulging eyes, witnessing their leader crashing to the ground, ran.

As they ran, Lawrence bellowed, “Remember, when insulting my father, you are dealing with the Master of the Sword!”

After gathering his daggers from the dead and meticulously cleaning his sword, Lawrence stood before Percy, staring.

Percy was a mess. He had a black eye, both cheeks were purple and one had a cut on it, his mouth was swollen and oozing blood and his clothes were tattered and dirty and he was limping.

Lawrence didn’t know if he felt pity or anger.

“Didn’t you know they were thieves trying to steal your horse?” barked Lawrence “Didn’t you realize they wanted to kill you? Why didn’t you at least try to fight back? How could you let them abuse you like that? I’ve seen mice put up a better fights.”

“Oui, I had an idea that they were intent on stealing the horse,” answered Percy, “but I thought being non-confrontational, I could talk them out of stealing the horse.”

Lawrence rolled his eyes.

“As for killing me, I thought not. Why should they? I posed no threat to them. At first, I thought that they only meant to make sport of me until they started hitting me. I didn’t try to fight back, because a Truey is to turn the other cheek.”

“Damn it, Percy,” said the redhead. “You only have two cheeks, unless you count your ass, and they kicked that one pretty bad too. You’re a mess, Percy Do you have any broken bones?”

“No, but I hurt a lot.”

I like the idea of a pacifist protagonist and would like to see how Percy copes with life in a violent world. That idea really stokes my interest. I would like to see Percy written as a stronger character in order to engage with him more. One description I have heard is, each character is the hero of his or her own story. I see two challenges to Percy's belief system: being beaten by the thieves and then seeing Lawrence kill the thieves. It might be interesting to have this scene primarily told from inside Percy's head and hear his thoughts about adhering to Truism. I also feel Truism might be a better name and reserve Truey as an insult term.

Consider whether the discussion of the Magicwood quest is needed here or whether it is adequately set up in the first part.

I felt that 'Trueys' and 'cuss' felt a little too informal and disparaging. Instead of simply saying that Truists do not curse, perhaps give a little insight as to Truist beliefs that would preclude cursing. Also, brown seems to be heavily used.

Percy turned his head to see a scruffy brown haired man wearing brown scruffy clothes and a dirty grin.
More of a technical thing, but try to avoid using a word twice in succession. Either use brown once or three times. One possibility, 'Percy turned his head to see a scruffy, brown haired man wearing brown, scruffy clothes, and displaying dirty, brown teeth."

I felt a little confusion as to who was speaking the second line. In the first, it appears the leader is directly addressing Percy, so I would expect Percy to be the one to reply.

I felt this portrayed Percy as a weak character. Perhaps, instead of him voicing anything aloud, have him think back to some Truist training or belief. Having Percy stand strong in the face of a threat would make him appear to be a stronger character.

Again, this shows Percy's weakness. Perhaps instead, describe how he feels the blows and kicks, focuses on his inner beliefs, and stays silent, further frustrating the thieves.

The fool, thought Percy. Struggling and sweating to stand on his feet. He’s going to get himself killed all because of words. I just hope the other four don’t interfere.

Oh, Creator, please give us a miracle. And please forgive Lawrence’s pride and foolishness.
I really like this last line. This seems to provide an insight into Percy's Truist beliefs.

“Damn it, Percy,” said the redhead. “You only have two cheeks, unless you count your ass, and they kicked that one pretty bad too. You’re a mess, Percy Do you have any broken bones?”

“No, but I hurt a lot.”
I would like to see Percy stand up for his beliefs at this point. He seems to accept that he needed Lawrence's violence to survive. Perhaps have him give a rebuke to Lawrence in the last line, "No, and I will heal, unlike those three men lying yonder."

This fight scene gives an excellent chance to show some of the Truist philosophy, show Percy as a strong character, and contrast him with Lawrence. This sets up an interesting scenario and world to be explored.

I like the idea of a pacifist protagonist and would like to see how Percy copes with life in a violent world. That idea really stokes my interest. I would like to see Percy written as a stronger character in order to engage with him more. One description I have heard is, each character is the hero of his or her own story.

Percy is meant to be weak, which is why Lawrence and two other characters hate him so much. While not effeminate, Percy is not rugged or outdoorsy (you won't catch him playing football or soccer). He gets tired out from long walks. The only activity he's physical at is guitar making. On occasion he can be opinionated, but not pushy. As time goes by he will become stronger physically and spiritually.
I see two challenges to Percy's belief system: being beaten by the thieves and then seeing Lawrence kill the thieves. It might be interesting to have this scene primarily told from inside Percy's head and hear his thoughts about adhering to Truism. I also feel Truism might be a better name and reserve Truey as an insult term.
Making Percy question and scorn Lawrence's killing the thieves has potential. It may also help Lawrence to become more thoughtful. A new idea has occurred to me: give a scene where Lawrence's habit of killing everyone prove unfruitful whereas he should have listened to Percy. Truism does sound more dignified.
Consider whether the discussion of the Magicwood quest is needed here or whether it is adequately set up in the first part.
Good question, however it does give the thieves an excuse to pick on him, albeit a lame one, but bullies don't need good excuses to bully.
I felt that 'Trueys' and 'cuss' felt a little too informal and disparaging. Instead of simply saying that Truists do not curse, perhaps give a little insight as to Truist beliefs that would preclude cursing.
It bothers me too. Perhaps, I should use the word 'profanity'. Regardless of the word it needs work.
Also, brown seems to be heavily used.
I know. I did it on purpose to give it a ring. I'll rethink this.
More of a technical thing, but try to avoid using a word twice in succession. Either use brown once or three times.
As a rule, I try not using the same word in succession, but I thought this was the exception.
One possibility, 'Percy turned his head to see a scruffy, brown haired man wearing brown, scruffy clothes, and displaying dirty, brown teeth."
I like the brown teeth.
I felt a little confusion as to who was speaking the second line. In the first, it appears the leader is directly addressing Percy, so I would expect Percy to be the one to reply.

I was under impression that giving the thieves names was causing confusion to the reader.

I felt this portrayed Percy as a weak character. Perhaps, instead of him voicing anything aloud, have him think back to some Truist training or belief. Having Percy stand strong in the face of a threat would make him appear to be a stronger character.

Again, this shows Percy's weakness. Perhaps instead, describe how he feels the blows and kicks, focuses on his inner beliefs, and stays silent, further frustrating the thieves.
I like this idea,, but I'm afraid it will make him appear too strong, although I could employ it later in the story.

I really like this last line. This seems to provide an insight into Percy's Truist beliefs.

Thanks Wayne for your insight.

Last edited:
My second critique.

The four scruffies wanted the horse to sell to make some money. They got Percy off the horse, so would think the scruffies would leave with the horse to make their cash. Now the five were oblivious that Lawrence approached, so maybe had a comment about unorganized would help.

Like a flash of lighting in a midnight-black sky Lawrence somersaulted over his horse’s head, landed on his feet, and jabbed his Itching sword at the scruffy leader
The way I read this: Lawrence is sitting on the horse in a saddle, he is able to somehow go airborne in a forward direction over the horse's head while doing a somersault, and able to land on his feet without any problem. It doesn't have the realism. Even in fantasy, you want something realistic. Perhaps the horse is sideways to the scruffies and he gets out of the saddle, landing on the ground fortunately without stumbling while pulling his sword out. Or, he has a bow and is a quick shot, able to bring down all five scruffies.

Magicwood
Somewhere I thought I saw Wayne Mack make a statement that Elvenwood would be a better name than Magicwood. I agree. Another possibility for the name of the wood entails a syllable or two added to wood that describes what the wood does. A quickly thought example-Woodcillin, burn it and the the smoke adds taste to food that when eaten, helps cure diseases.

What is definitely good is continuing the story of Percy and Lawrence, with their clash of ideas. It makes their interaction more of a focus than the quest. Hopefully there would be a part where Percy's approach is the better one than Lawrence's approach.

My second critique.

The four scruffies wanted the horse to sell to make some money. They got Percy off the horse,
I'm a little confused here. Are you suggesting an alternative paragraph to mine? Or did you, miss the fact that Percy fell off his horse again and after that was approached by the scruffies?

so would think the scruffies would leave with the horse to make their cash. Now the five were oblivious that Lawrence approached, so maybe had a comment about unorganized would help.
I wanted the element of surprise.
The way I read this: Lawrence is sitting on the horse in a saddle, he is able to somehow go airborne in a forward direction over the horse's head while doing a somersault, and able to land on his feet without any problem. It doesn't have the realism. Even in fantasy, you want something realistic. Perhaps the horse is sideways to the scruffies and he gets out of the saddle, landing on the ground fortunately without stumbling while pulling his sword out. Or, he has a bow and is a quick shot, able to bring down all five scruffies.
You're right fantasy needs some element of realism and I went over the line. I'll have to re-think this one. Thanks for pointing it out.
Somewhere I thought I saw Wayne Mack make a statement that Elvenwood would be a better name than Magicwood. I
You're correct Elvenwood is a better name.
What is definitely good is continuing the story of Percy and Lawrence, with their clash of ideas. It makes their interaction more of a focus than the quest. Hopefully there would be a part where Percy's approach is the better one than Lawrence's approach.
When my book is finished you will find that Percy gets on the nerves of two other characters. I haven't totally decided which way Percy's faith shall go.

I'm a little confused here. Are you suggesting an alternative paragraph to mine? Or did you, miss the fact that Percy fell off his horse again and after that was approached by the scruffies?
The way I read it was the scruffies want to make money from selling the horse, Percy is off the horse, so they should go away with the horse to make their money.

It's the way I read it. Others most likely would read it differently.

The way I read it was the scruffies want to make money from selling the horse, Percy is off the horse, so they should go away with the horse to make their money.

It's the way I read it. Others most likely would read it differently.
Thank you for your comment, please keep them coming.

You're correct in that scruffies wanted to make money by selling the horse. However, what I didn't make clear was that the scruffies were going to do this by stealing the horse from Percy. They were making an excuse when the leader said, “since you can’t ride her anyway, me and my friends will just have to take her off your hands and return her to the duke. I’m sure the good duke will reward us generously for our good deed.”