The Dark Knight (2008)

How much are you looking foward to this movie?

• A little

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A lot

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Can't freaken wait!

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • not very

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

ScottSF

ScottSF
The Dark Knight: Nolan and Bale’s Batman 2

The Dark Knight: Nolan and Bale’s Batman 2
Some of this was mentioned in a “Who could play Joker” thread but I thought it would be good to have a place for all rumors and stuff concerning the second Batman movie in the Batman Begins continuity.

According to CNN Christopher Nolan’s will be directing a second Batman movie called The Dark Knight. Christian Bale will return as Batman and Heath Ledger is set to play the Joker. Unfortunately for the fans, it won’t come out until June of 2008. Apparently Nolan is planning to do something very “different” with this next one.

I would take “different” to mean not like a typical Hollywood action flick. Perhaps even more cerebral knowing Nolan’s work

Re: The Dark Knight: Nolan and Bale’s Batman 2

The Joker is really Bruce's father and in the allyway scene is when his transformation became complete.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the movie. I have to say that I was most impressed by Bale's first outing as the Caped Crusader. Hopefully this will be just as good (if not better):)

Jaggy Jai said:
Heath Ledger.......??????.......film-making has gone to hell....him as the Joker, now that really is the biggest JOKE of all!!!!!

I wonder why you say that. I think Health Ledger would make a fine batman. If you saw his performance in "The Brothers Grimm" you'll notice that he has hypercraziness down pat.

Ledger as Joker didn't hit me as a perfect match right away but I trust Nolan's instinct. He was bold enough to completely break from the other Batman movies and start over being truer to the comic so his decisions get the benefit of the doubt. Untill I see them that is.

I meant a fine Joker!

Is there a glitch right now that's preventing editing one's own responses? I don't see an edit button. :confused:

I enjoyed the first one, so hopefully this will prove to be just as good. I liked Batman returns better that the previously made batman movies, although the one with Keaton as Batman was not bad. The others were just to hoakey.

I really liked Bale's first venture as Batman. The movie returned to the darker, edgier character portrayed in the comics. I think Nolan is definitely on the right path and am inclined to trust his judgement with Ledger.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his making of Batman Begins.

I thought the Nolan Batman was ok and I enjoyed Tim Burton's Batman.

I'm a little peturbed by all this revisionism though. This is the third filmic incarnation of Batman, to go with the second one for Superman. Is it because DC don't have any faith in any of their other characters?
All these "reimaginings" are annoying though, as it renders the earlier films completely pointless if they're done well or they get blugeoned to death by their predecessors if done poorly.
It just exposes the 'play it safe' mentality of Hollywood sometimes and their obsession with franchises or 'cash cows' as they're more appropriately known.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments about cash cows and playing it safe, Batman has been on celluloid in various forms since 1943. I might add that if you take into account various foreign language versions (such as the Phillipino version of Batman) then the actual number of times Batman has appeared either on film or TV runs well into double figures.

Revisionism is nothing new and it's not just Hollywood that is playing the game.

It does, however, beg the question: whose (if any) is the definitive version?:confused:

I don't know about definitive but I thought Nolan's Batman film was definitely boring and overwrought taking ages to tell a story that does nothing to bring me closer to the character or see him as particularly complex (not to mention astoundingly pap dialog like "it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" repeated twice by a scripter who no doubt considers it one of the cleverest lines ever). It reminded me of my slogging through the Fellowship of the Ring. A tiresome journey with little payoff.

Which is not to say that Bale is not a good Batman. The man's a fine actor and definitely put some enthusiasm into the part.

Enjoyed Batman Begins and look forward to the sequel!

Bale made a good Batman, however I found him wholly unconvincing in the role of Bruce Wayne - Millionaire playboy.
The thing about batman is anyone can play him, it's just acting with your chin. Nailing the part of Bruce Wayne takes effort and the only person so far to have really got that down was Michael Keaton.
I also found the film a little boring in the middle, I wasn't impressed with the plot, or the Scarecrow who seemingly had little to do considering. I thought te ending on the train was a little to reminiscent of Spiderman2 and the fact Gordon was driving the batmobile was pushing things a little.
Having said that I will still go and see The Dark Knight in the hope that, even though Heath Ledger as Joker :s, it will be an improvement on the first.

I think Heath Ledger as the Joker is almost as bad a decision as Matt Damon to play Kirk in the next Star Trek film.

Having said that, loved Batman Begins - much better than the previous versions.

I think that Ledger will make for a good Joker - the kid can act, if you go further than Hollywood pap. It'll certainly be different to Nicholson's, which I think is a good thing. He certainly has the grin for it.

I really liked Batman Begins, and I don't have a problem with revisiting and reimagining the character. How many interpretations do we have of things like the Arthurian legend? Besides, the comic books themselves over the years have often taken very different tacts in interpreting and portraying the character. Why not let artists in other mediums do the same...?

The Dark Knight will tell the tale of the series. Tim Burton's Batman was good and keeping to the dark spirit of the comics. The second movie in the series really took a turn toward the 60s. It lost its darkness and upped the overdrama by 200%. I liked Batman Begins. It wouldn't take much to go off the deep end also with a sequel.

Keaton's Bruce Wayne has been the best yet. I just hope that they don't put any prosthetics on Ledger to accentuate the grin for the Joker as I thought this was unnecessary on Nicholson.

Bale is good as The Bat and I think Oldman gives us a Jim Gordon that is more faithful to the comics than we have ever seen before.

I can't wait until The Dark Knight.