(Found! 15 years on!) Mystery Book

Pauline

Re: Mystery Books - another one!

Hello all,

My boyfriend has listened often enough to me describing a great sci-fi story I read ages ago, but yet can't remember the title or writer. I'd be really grateful if somebody could tell me so I can read it again...

A guy is woken up from deep freeze to find himself looking at a painted bust of Beethoven. The rest of the crew died during re-awakening, but a particularly intelligent robot has the idea of providing a familiar object to reduce the shock. At a later point, he is put back into suspended animation, and woken even more gently to find a planet with all its land covered with grass cultivated from a single grass seed found in his trouser hem. The robot keeps learning and serving him, and the story ends with him waking up to a planet populated with people who all look vaguely like his wife, inspired by the photo he kept of her. The robot by then is just a hovering entity above his head.

I await with baited breath...

Re: Mystery Books - another one!

Welcome to the board...

That book doesn't sound familiar... But seems reminiscent of the older style of writing... From 1950's-1970's... I'm sure that someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of Sci-Fi books will know...

That remote offchance eventually came around. I completely forgot where/when I'd posted the original query, but the question arose again in my mind, and I'm here again. Thank you so much for naming this story. I've asked my husband (formerly the above boyfriend!) to get it for my birthday.

Wow! Not often we get a fifteen-year search fulfilled! :)

Now you've found us again, why not have a look at the rest of the Chrons? You never know, there might be more threads that interest you...

Isn't that amazing: It may take 7 years for a question to be answered and another 8 years for that answer to be retrieved. But it gets done eventually!
On what other forum can you find such long-lasting queries?
Happened to me! As an answerer.
I joined the now-gone SFF dot co dot UK that must have merged with this and the ray Bradbury board in 2008. Around that time, on one of those, I answered a question I found, and someone actually teased or chided or attacked me for "that has to be the longest lag time for answering a question".

I quoted someone else's post back at him that had said, "Remember, come back and post the answer, even if it has been years."

Another follow-up post. As a result of finding out the title of this long-lost story, husband bought me for my birthday a collection of James White tales 'Monsters and Medics' including the short novel 'Second Ending'. The pages are brown around the edges and smell of the 70s.
I read it aloud to him over several evenings. It was great to come across the scenes which were held in my mind for decades, while appreciating the details I forgot.
I do intend to explore this forum to further revive my sci-fi interests, particularly since we have entered such dystopian times - other stories I remember imagined such possibilities way ahead of them being realized in our daily lives. For example 'The Tunnel Under The World' by Frederick Pohl.

Another follow-up post. As a result of finding out the title of this long-lost story, husband bought me for my birthday a collection of James White tales 'Monsters and Medics' including the short novel 'Second Ending'. The pages are brown around the edges and smell of the 70s.
I read it aloud to him over several evenings. It was great to come across the scenes which were held in my mind for decades, while appreciating the details I forgot.
I do intend to explore this forum to further revive my sci-fi interests, particularly since we have entered such dystopian times - other stories I remember imagined such possibilities way ahead of them being realized in our daily lives. For example 'The Tunnel Under The World' by Frederick Pohl.
James White is so good. :)

I suspect that a lot of paperbacks published then (and remember, it is 50 years ago now) will have this. I had my copy of Glory Road, by RAH, out the other day, after it cropped up in another thread - it was printed in 1972, and not only has it brown edges, but there's a uniform browning on every page.

I suspect that a lot of paperbacks published then (and remember, it is 50 years ago now) will have this. I had my copy of Glory Road, by RAH, out the other day, after it cropped up in another thread - it was printed in 1972, and not only has it brown edges, but there's a uniform browning on every page.
Uniform. Most appropriate. Apparently even the pages were good RAH troopers.

Wow! Not often we get a fifteen-year search fulfilled! :)

Now you've found us again, why not have a look at the rest of the Chrons? You never know, there might be more threads that interest you...
Fannish records are made to be broken. I wonder what our longest-ago-posted book search request, as yet not found, is.

Back