Stardust the Movie (2008)

Re: Stardust the Movie

Exactly it does not help at all. Plus here they butcher the movie when it eventually gets screened. You can practically see the scissors. :(

Unless the pirate copies are a whole lot better, for this one I'd say it was well worth waiting for the DVD, so that you can see it as it's meant to be seen.

(Can you play American DVDs on your player, Nesa?)

I really enjoyed the movie. I haven't read this book yet, though I've read and enjoyed several of Gaiman's works including Neverwhere and American Gods. I'll have to add this one to my list. The princes were a bit cheesy in my opinion, and De Niro's character was a bit over the top. But otherwise the interaction between the main characters and the fantasy setting were imaginative and enjoyable.

I had never heard of this film until I saw the trailer with Run, Fat Boy, Run yesterday. Amazing that we in the UK have had to wait so long for it. I have to say that we have had a very full Summer of good films here. I didn't get to see everything I wanted to, and if this had been among them then I probably would have missed it too.

The cast is impressive, if a little strange - Robert De Niro in a fantasy film??

Yeah, De Niro felt very out of place - perhaps because he was shamelessly camping it up, as well. It wasn't a bad film, it just wasn't the film I had expected, loving the book as I do. Most of the changes I can forgive - though Clare Danes was woeful as Yvaine - but the sugary happy ending replacing the book's bittersweet coda was too much for me.

But it was enjoyable enough of itself. I'd watch it again, and probably appreciate it more having had the initial disappointment diluted somewhat.

I've seen it and quite liked it actually. Sure it's different from the book but as Neil was involved in the Screenplay it still holds up quite well. An above average movie without being brilliant.

An above average movie without being brilliant.
I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Sure, it won't win Oscars, but I expect it will become one of those TV Christmas favourites.

As I already said, the cast is very impressive. De Niro is cast against type and very funny. The scene with him and Ricky Gervais is good, and apparently partly ad libbed. I also liked seeing Mark Williams as Billy the Goat Innkeeper.

It was a good and funny film, I found myself laughing at bits which no one else found funny (A pirate on a skyship interrogating two people tied up in a storage compartment with a load of rabbits swaying overhead!) The ending didn't seem in keeping with the style of the rest of the film, but it was a lot of fun to watch.

I saw this today and really enjoyed it. Sure, it won't win Oscars, but I expect it will become one of those TV Christmas favourites.

As I already said, the cast is very impressive. De Niro is cast against type and very funny. The scene with him and Ricky Gervais is good, and apparently partly ad libbed. I also liked seeing Mark Williams as Billy the Goat Innkeeper.
Yep Dave, I would rate it 3.5 stars out of 5.

As I'd thought ... the pirates have it but not the cinemas. I've watched it from the pirates. It's not a good copy and I agree with Teresa. I would have loved to see this on the big screen.

Teresa .... Yes I can and I'll probably get an original DVD from Amazon and take it along to a friend who has a business selling home theatre systems and watch it at his place. At least the screen will be somewhat bigger.

It was not the film I expected and it differed in many parts greatly from the book but I loved it nevertheless. Robert de Niro was quite something else to say the least.

They changed many parts including the end but it was still a good effort and well worth the watching.

Faery_queen ... it is worth looking fort the illustrated edition. They have recently issued a lovely hardback cloth-bound edition. Cherles Vess' art is amazing and for me at least it is as important as Gaiman's words.

Saw it last night, and would go along with most of the comments - I haven't read the book, so can't comment on that, but thoroughly enjoyed it, on an undemanding level.
Loved Robert de Niro - nearly fell off my seat at the can-can bit, and the SFX were excellent, especially the ship - but I felt that Charlie Cox wasn't quite up to the part. Michelle Pfeiffer stole the show, though - superbly evil.....
7/10

I went to see this film on Wednesday and although I really do love the book, I thought the film was great.

Normally when I watch a film adapted from a loved book more than a few things irritate me but with this (mainly because I think Gaiman made it quite clear it would steer from the book quite a bit) was thoroughly enjoyable and I didn't mind the changes quite as much as I normally do.

I thought Pfeiffer stole the show as the witch and contrary to most, I thought Claire Danes made a great Yvaine, she executed the sarcasm brilliantly, my only problem was that she was maybe a little too fragile...

Obviously Shakespear is very different but I did think de Niro was very good and very funny, his crew also made me laugh rather a lot!

I also quite liked Charlie Cox as Tristan, it's pretty much how I imagined Tristan in the book, he had that dreamy/in another world way about him that I always imagined Tristan to have.

I really loved this film but as always in these situations, the book will always win hands down for me.

xx

Just, just, just saw Stardust on the big screen. It was wonderful. yes, it's not like the book and it was nothing like the blurness of the pirated DVD. I love the bok and I love this movie for totally different reasons. Am never ever going to see de Niro in the same light again.

Danes made a lovely star. I'd imagine a star would have that small face and sharp features. The change in Tristan as the movie progresses was very well done as well.

Needledd to say Pfeiffer was amazing as the witch desiring to stay young forever and ever.

A very good show and I'm really happy having finally been able to see it properly.

Tut tut, Cat - pirated DVDs? Shocking.....:rolleyes::D

I agree about de Niro, though - next time I see him shoot someone down, or beat them up, I'm going to be wondering what he's wearing underneath....;):D

Thank goodness for the pirates living here Pyan (am about ready to build altars to them and Google :rolleyes:) ... I'd never get to watch many, many movies otherwise. They get hacked or they never get shown at all. Am so glad this made it though. I don't think it'll last the week but am glad it got here.

A huge yes about de Niro ... all his other roles are macho he-men. He's never going to be quite the same again. He did look as if he were having fun. Plus he drinks Earl Grey.
:p

A huge yes about de Niro ... all his other roles are macho he-men. He's never going to be quite the same again. He did look as if he were having fun. Plus he drinks Earl Grey.
He had a comedic role in 'Meet the Parents' and 'Meet the Fockers', but never like this one.

Just, just, just saw Stardust on the big screen. It was wonderful. yes, it's not like the book and it was nothing like the blurness of the pirated DVD. I love the bok and I love this movie for totally different reasons. Am never ever going to see de Niro in the same light again.
Glad you finally made it....:)

Dave ... Indeed. I think I've watched most of what de Niro has done over the years and nothing comes close to this. Not even the Anger Management role. He did look quite at home in the corset and petticoats though.

Pyan ... Oh yes ... Picard does drink Earl Grey. I loved the whole set of scenes with Captain Shakes - Spear :D

Oh I liked how the managed to put the nursery rhyme from the book in by naming the candle.

GOLLUM .... yes, yes, yes I did. It's a good day today even if I am at work now.

GOLLUM .... yes, yes, yes I did. It's a good day today even if I am at work now.
Huh? work on Sunday, no thanks!!

I'm about to retire to my room with a warm cup of cocoa and Thomas Covenant for company after seeing another Miss Marple Mystery, The Moving Finger....:D