The Revived Tolkien Trivia

*Grins*

Oh sure, make me do my own foot work. :unsure:;)

This is where the two-stage hint comes in.

First:

Then Beren came before King Finrod Felagund, and Felagund knew him, needing no ring to remind him of the kin of Beor and of Barahir.

Followed 2 sentences later by:

But Felagund heard his tale in wonder and disquiet; and he knew that the oath he had sworn was come upon him for his death, as long before he had foretold to Galadriel.

The Silmarillion, Valaquenta, Quenta Silmarillion, Ch.XIX, Of Beren and Luthien

So, I guess one could have just taken the first 3 sentences of that paragraph for the quote, but both parts are necessary to get from ring to doom. Perhaps not as overt a challenge as it seemed to me when I posted it, but for all of the attention paid to rings later on in Tolkien's Middle Earth timeline the dearth of rings in the earlier ages is striking (to me, at least). Either way, good job, and we await your next offering, sirrah![/QUOTE]

Here's an easy one (possibly).

What is an uncommonly effective stablising weight for an unoccupied tummy? (Exact quote please.)

Solanum tuberosum.

Sam stewing rabbit in Ithilien, and giving Gollum a cookery lesson...

“Sméagol won't grub for roots and carrotses and - taters. What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?'
'Po-ta-toes,' said Sam. 'The Gaffer's delight, and rare good ballast for an empty belly. But you won't find any, so you needn't look.
TT, Bk IV, Ch4: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit.

OK - possibly another easy one:

The Tale of Years is a useful quick-reference list in the Appendices - but where was it probably put together?

Funnily enough I looked up this thread a couple of days ago, after starting reading LOTR again, to see what the last question was. Might even have an answer shortly.

*wakes up with a start from dreaming in a house at R'lyeh.*

Nope, but (relatively) close. Would it help if I told you that it's in FotR?

So! More than likely Bilbo wrote it at Rivendell, and told Frodo about it when he first woke up.

Nope! Too far in the other direction. You don't have to have delved very far into the Annals of Middle-earth to find a direct reference...

The answer is Great Smials

"It was probably at Great Smials that The Tale of Years was put together." (FOTR, Prologue.)

@HareBrain has it, belatedly, (919 days, to be precise). It only took Frodo and Sam 185 days from Hobbiton to the Sammath Naur...

The Smeerp to go.

Not who I had in mind.

If you think the answer fits and you can provide a quote that backs it up, I'd probably have to give it.