The Revived Tolkien Trivia

I recently moved, and all my Tolkien books are in storage. I couldn’t quote anything. It’s all in my head right now. I’ll return to thinking about it.

I remember Sauron torturing Gorlim. Gorlim was killed and his ghost reported the incident to Beren.

So let me think, throw is the main reporter. He was stabbed by the whiskey, but not in the heart although the tip of the blade tried to work its way toward his heart. An orc chieftain attempted to skewer Frodo in warrior. Hmmmm… is this a metaphorical, stabbing? Was the person in such anguish that they felt that their heart was pierced as if by a blade?

My official guess is Legolas when he heard the cry of a seagull for the first time.

it is difficult to imagine someone surviving being stabbed in the heart. I imagine that this person died and reported the incident later. And it’s not quite a stabbing, but my next official guess is Beren who’s chest was bitten by the wolf Carcharoth. I’m guessing that Beren died and later told his son Dior of the experience.

Inventive guess, Boaz, but not it. You're right, though, that the person died and reported it later. Hundreds of years later, in fact, and through another's voice.

On the same basis; I was wondering about Gandalf. But I can see no mention of his being stabbed in the heart.

Got it, @HareBrain! (I think): it was the 'hundreds of years later' that clicked.

It's an un-named man of the North-kingdom, killed by a raid from Angmar sometime in the Second Age (I presume).
When the Hobbits are under the spells of the Barrow-wights, they are wakened and the spells dispersed by Tom Bombadil.

'What in the name of wonder?' began Merry, feeling the golden circlet that had slipped over one eye. Then he stopped, and a shadow came over his face, and he closed his eyes. 'Of course, I remember!' he said. 'The men of Carn Dûm came on us at night, and we were worsted. Ah! the spear in my heart!' He clutched at his breast. 'No! No!' he said, opening his eyes. 'What am I saying? I have been dreaming. Where did you get to, Frodo?'

FotR, Book 1, Ch 8 - Fog on the Barrow-downs.

(Incidentally, this is a perfect rebuff to people that say that Tom Bombadil is an unnecessary and superfluous character - if it wasn't for him, presumably the Quest would have failed seventy-five miles east of Hobbiton with no-one knowing where they were, the Nazgûl would have retrieved the Ring, and it would have been Minas Tirith and Rivendell that would have gone up in flame and smoke.)

Well done @Pyan! Except for one thing:

sometime in the Second Age (I presume)
Tsk tsk, you should have known that was Third Age, probably in 1974, when the Tale of Years tells us Angmar's armies overran Arthedain. (Incidentally, I remember singing a playground rhyme at school which went "we won the war, in 1974". I wonder now if this was started by some of the Witch-King's troops.)

Over to you!

Whoops - I stand corrected! :notworthy:

How did the office of Thain come into being? Quote, please.

The thread has awoken (or perhaps it is I that have awoken!).

"The Shire-folk survived, though war swept over them and most of them fled into hiding. To the help of the king they sent some archers who never returned; and others went also to the Battle in which Angmar was overthrown (of which more is said in the annals of the South). Afterward in the peace that followed the Shire-folk ruled themselves and prospered. They chose a Thain to take the place of the King, and were content; though for a long time many still looked for the return of the King."

The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A Annals of the Kings and Rules, I. The Numenorean Kings iii Eriador, Arnor and The Heirs of Isildur, The North Kingdom and the Dunedain

Wow, I'm rusty at my reference formatting here from not having used it in like....forever! Shame on me! ;)

Bucca of the Marish was his name…. which I had to add because…

<stands up> ahem “My name is Boaz and I’m a Tolkienaholic, a pedantaholic, and a postaholic.”

Renewed shall be thread that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

Hail to the current king! @Grimward

*Tries to shake off more rust and makes a general mess*

Nice adaptation, Boaz (with a nod to Py for getting it started), but as Bilbo put it this might be a dreadfully easy chestnut (meaning the crownless in my case soon will be again!):

Name the 3 things from the foundered land (quotes always appreciated here!)

Name the 3 things from the foundered land (quotes always appreciated here!)

I'm going to try this one from memory. It's in the poem Gandalf recites to Pippin:

Tall kings and tall ships
Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the foundering sea?
Seven stars
And seven stones
And one white tree.

So actually fifteen things ;o)

(ROTK ch1?)

Perfect answer! Let me add… Beleriand was also ruined in the inundation. Three pieces of land seemed to survive. Tol Morwen, the Forlindon, and the Harlindon.

I found the quote in at the end of Book Three of Chapter XI, entitled "The Palantir" in The Two Towers ( Gandalf and Pippin were too busy riding to Edoras on Shadowfax after that to spout poems ;) ), but yes, 'tis indeed the poem I was thinking of, my Good Hare Sir. Also, Pippin DOES recall Gandalf's words about the seven stars, seven stones and one white tree (albeit without thinking about foundering, at least as reported in the text) in Return of the King Ch. 1; I am indeed impressed! I yield the "crown" and the floor!

And Bo, when thinking about sinkings, inundations and flounderings in Middle Earth, I always seem to land on the breaking of Beleriand after the fall of Thangorodrim too. Here, of course, it's the "devouring wave" that rolled over Westernesse hundreds of years later, with nothing of the Isle surviving it but those tall ships, their passengers and contents, and rumors/hopes that maybe the summit of Meneltarma poked back out of the waters afterwards, but I marvel at your your ability to pull this stuff out of your memory without access to your books as well! You and yon Crowned Hare both exceed me! ;)

Last edited:
Never try to quickly reply with the talking text enabled. Why did I think the ruin of Beleriand and the destruction of Numenor were the same event?

Anyway I will guess the smiths of Nogrod.