The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Indeed you did, Py. But like Butterbur, my memory is like an old lumber room and stuff gets buried.

I've put it in my phone's diary for 3 1/2 years hence, when I might need it again. :)

Well... gi nathlam hí, Freydis!

JRRT calls the 1955 BBC radio adaptation a "sillification" in Letter 198: the adaptor was one Terence Tiller (letters 193,194), so is this the chap you had in mind?

Letters: 198 - from a letter to Rayner Unwin:

Agoreg vae Pyan, you are correct. I was indeed looking for the name of Terence Tiller (I funnily enough always remembered that letter because his name sounds like he could be a hobbit!)

It started in the original Trivia thread - that one was closed because of trolling. This here thread is the Revised Tolkien Trivia, which was started with slightly different rules a bit later. And the "bell" business was something that just started - people started awarding something extra to the person that gave the right answer. Wasn't only bells, at first, either - I remember Nesacat* being given tinsel, amongst other items.

*Nesacat is a long-time member, who still (very) occasionally pops in - like every three years or so...

And your memory is going, far: I explained this to you only three and a half years ago...:rolleyes::D

The Revised Tolkien Trivia

:D
Well, who am I to break tradition, here's a bell I just drew in paint, lol!
Bell.jpg

You are up then Pyan... I am flying out this afternoon to see my in-laws in Northern Ireland, so please make the question tough enough that I get back to my books on Tuesday before the answer is given so I have a chance to play :ROFLMAO:

Be careful what you wish for, Freydis.
Py's set some blinders in his time.:eek::eek:

I know, I'm just asking for a question hard enough that I can never answer it in a million years... beginner's mistake, perhaps it will humble me :LOL:

Heh - I've just had longer than most of you to immerse myself in Ringlore...

Try this: it's fairly well known that JRRT himself regarded the LotR as one very large story, published in three volumes, each of two books. But there's at least one example of he himself calling it a trilogy - but where and when and to whom? Quote(s) required, please.

OK so cheating, and not what you want, but the best you're gonna get from me.
The Red book could be considered a trilogy. (Well actually a quadrilogy (??) but the first one is really the Hobbit)
From The Grey Havens. When Frodo gives Sam the Red Book

The title page had many titles on it crossed out one after the other.

My Diary. My unexpected journey. There and back again. And what happened after.

The Adventures of five hobbits. The tale of the great ring, compiled byBilbo Bagginsfrom his own observations and the accounts of his friends. What we did in the war of the Rings.

Here Bilbo's hand ended and Frodo had written:
THE DOWNFALL
OF THE
LORD OF THE RINGS
AND THE RETURN OF THE KING
(As seen by the little people; being the memoirs of Bilbo and Frodo of the Shire; supplemented by the accounts of their friends and the learnings of the wise)

Together with extracts from Books of Lore translated by Bilbo in Rivendell.

But I assume the answer is in the letters again, so I haven't a hope. :)

I'm afraid you're correct, far - if you haven't a copy of the Letters, this one's not for you. But I'll post another one, and the person that gets either right first wins, if that's the right word...(y)

Give me a name that anyone would consider an insult if you called them by it...

Ooh. Now that rings a bell.
Probably not the winner's bell, but a bell nevertheless.
Thank you Py.

I'm more off the forums than on these days, welcome to our newest player (and therefor Friend)!

My brains a bit sluggish this afternoon, but since it's the Thursday after the Tuesday... If I think of something I'll pop back by.

Not having a copy of Letters ether, it'll be a try for...
Wait!
Orc is a rather insulting thing to be called right? My mom called me a troglodyte once because I would rather sit in the cool basement and read than shop in 100+° weather.
I was so insulted I wouldn't shop with her for a year or more.

Sorry...it's more of an insulting epithet, and it specifically includes anybody, not just one species...

Yeah. I thought it must be. I count think up any quotes for Orc. Mostly I couldn't think past my troglodyte story. Lol.

Clues:

First question:
Auden

Second one:
Mirkwood

Py .
I have the second one (without the spoiler), but given the very poor and intermittent quality of my connection here at the moment, I've been putting off posting it, until I get home.
However, since you insist.

Following Bilbo's taunts of the spiders of Mirkwood.

Quite apart from the stones no spider has every liked being called Attercop, and Tomnoddy, of course, is insulting to anybody.

Insist? I thought I was being helpful, as it was four days since any response...:D

And, of course, you were right. Take it away...
(I'll leave the other one hanging, in case anyone wants a go at it.)

Blimey. The 3G is still working.
So thank you Py. I feel rather insulted not to have been offered a bell, which is probably in keeping with it all. :)))
I'd be interested in the answer to the other one too.

But in the meantime, try this.
We have heard of Beren one hand, and Frodo of the nine fingers.

Can you tell me when Tolkien suggests that he himself is similarly incomplete?

Yike! Sorry, far - Ακόμα και ο Όμηρος μερικές φορές κουνά!:rolleyes:

images.jpg

We have heard of Beren one hand, and Frodo of the nine fingers.

Can you tell me when Tolkien suggests that he himself is similarly incomplete?

Remember that I'm not one for the letters, which may limit the search parameters somewhat. JRRT didn't do a Hitchcock and appear as an extra at the battle of unnumbered tears.

I'm at the beach in Delaware @ the moment, and away from my arsenal, but that sounds familiar far; will pursue when I return home tomorrow...

Oh, and welcome indeed, Freydis. :)

I'll look forward to finding you a bell, Grim, if your post doesn't stir one of the others to beat you to it.
Happy last day of holidays.

Far