Elric: Where to start?

Some of the UK early originial Elric ones had different titles, later ones were changed by the American editors.

Yes... that's when you start getting into a truly big mess, as not only American editors, but British editors sometimes altered titles -- and with some, Moorcock himself has published them under different titles at different times (e.g., "The Flame-Bringers"/"Caravan of Forgotten Dreams"). And then you have "The Dreaming City" (the first Elric story published), whose title was later used for the first U.S. (edited without authorization) publication of the novel, Elric of Melniboné, followed by a publication from DAW under the original title; or The Sleeping Sorceress/The Vanishing Tower/The Sleeping Sorceress (depending on which edition you pick up)....

Yes, it is currently in print as part of The Sleeping Sorceress omnibus, the third in the Del Rey set of Moorcock's Elric tales. As noted, this collects them in order of publication (or writing, depending), rather than within the chronology of the series, and Elric of Melniboné and The Sleeping Sorceress (a.k.a. The Vanishing Tower) were written fairly close together....

I have fond memories of years ago when I was trying to complete the various eternal champion sequences by using the book listings in the cover of the books. It was a challenging experience because sometimes books would be missing (presumably because they were earlier editions in which the later editions were yet to be released) and sometimes (as previously noted) the same book would be listed under different names.

And there were confusing things like interconnected series. The "Chronicles of Count Brass" and "Erekose" ("The Eternal Champion" and "Phoenix in Obsidian") used to both conclude with "The Quest for Tanelorn". That is until "The Dragon in the Sword" came out to conclude the "Erekose" series in a different way (which I am yet to read).

Confusing indeed!

I have fond memories of years ago when I was trying to complete the various eternal champion sequences by using the book listings in the cover of the books. It was a challenging experience because sometimes books would be missing (presumably because they were earlier editions in which the later editions were yet to be released) and sometimes (as previously noted) the same book would be listed under different names.

And there were confusing things like interconnected series. The "Chronicles of Count Brass" and "Erekose" ("The Eternal Champion" and "Phoenix in Obsidian") used to both conclude with "The Quest for Tanelorn". That is until "The Dragon in the Sword" came out to conclude the "Erekose" series in a different way (which I am yet to read).

Confusing indeed!

Yes, that's where the "grand overall scheme", so to speak, comes into play -- because, really, all the tales wrap up with The Quest for Tanelorn, which closes the cycle itself, and includes recaps of the endings of the Elric and Corum sets (with a slightly different emphasis). Or is it with, as you note, The Dragon in the Sword, which even mentions the "field of statues" of the earlier novel, yet allows the cycle to come to a resolution in a different fashion? Or is it with the "Second Ether" books, which also provide an ending to the cycle....?

For those interested in becoming truly lost (and found) in the labyrinthine wanderings of how the cycle as a whole is structured, these:

Suggested Reading Orders - Moorcock's Miscellany

A Proposed Moorcock Reading Order - Page 3 - Moorcock's Miscellany

But, as Moorcock himself has said quite frequently, it is best not to worry about reading order too much, but just go with what's available and work out your own over time. I have my own, for example (just as I do with a viewing order for The Prisoner, another series which has fomented considerable debate on this point) which differs in some respects with any reading orders I've seen proposed -- yet it works quite well, as themes, characters, and storylines are introduced, developed, and reach resolution (including a final resolution for the cycle) in an aesthetically pleasing fashion....

I finished the Del Ray 2008 ed. of Elric Stealer of Souls vol. 1.
I'm a bit confused since ......
Elric dies in the end. There are apparently 4 more volumes in this series. Are they prequels?
Other than that, I did enjoy the books. I'm definitely a fan of this type of antihero - guilt ridden and grim. He quite reminds me of Anomander Rake.

I did read earlier today The Dreaming City in Elric omnibus by Gollancz.

It was much better as an introduction to Elric than the prequal 72 Elric novel. Elric was much more interesting himself, in the novel he was melodramatic,not so intresting but in the short story he was hardcore,strong,weak in other words more complex. From the first page to the rather interesting ending of the story.

I liked how his story starts in the middle of his quest for vengance. Didnt need a prequal for what happened before the story really.

Only thing that wasnt top quality S&S is the dialouges that did feel fake antique fantasy speak when its not Elric speaking.

Look forward to reading the other short stories and other original Elric stories.

I recently picked up Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melnibone: Volume I), from Ballantine (2008). It seems to be a reprint of the earlier omnibus edition called The Stealer of Souls. So far, so good.

I love the Elric stories, though finding a good reading order is pretty hard - fortunately I've read them all at least once (most I have read many times) so I can read them in any order now, and any reference to past events will make sense. Though I think there are still some "Remember the time when..." conversations that reference events that were never in any story, but I can't be sure :)

I like the fast-pace in Elric stories. There's nothing long and drawn out, they race along, dramatic moments crop up regularly, and that's not a lot of time spent on drawn out descriptions of this place or that politics. I like dense, detailed writing too (I like the Gormenghast series, about the polar opposite of Elric in writing style!), but I think this quicker, cleaner writing has a place that to me seems a bit forgotten about in this day and age of Kvothe's and thrones.

Micheal Moorcock is such an eloquent writer that you really could start in at any point and still make out okay. I heartily recommend jumping in with both feet and none of this toe in the water testing for temperature business.

While the Gods Laugh is just an old-fashioned quest. I really appreciated it, without too much weight to it. Maybe my favorite so far.

While the Gods Laugh is just an old-fashioned quest.

On the surface, yes. But even here, in the second Elric story ever published, Moorcock was already standing some of the old tropes on their heads, particularly in the outcome of the quest itself, as well as Elric's abandonment of the winged woman at the end; and what he was saying through the symbol of the Dead God's book was central to themes he would continue to address....

Gollancz are re-issuing the Elric stories in a new 'definitive' chronological order beginning last month with Elric of Melniboné and Other Stories, which as well as the title story also includes the script for Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer Moorcock's graphic novel of Elric's early life and other bits & pieces. July sees the publication of Elric: The Fortress of the Pearl, then two months later Elric: The Sailor on the Seas of Fate and thereafter (following the same schedule) Elric: The Sleeping Sorceress, Elric: The Revenge of the Rose and Elric: Stormbringer!. A seventh volume, called Elric: The Moonbeam Roads, will collect Moorcock's three most recent Elric novels already published individually (with new titles) as Daughter of Dreams (2001), Destiny's Brother(2003) and Son of the Wolf (2005), the latter two having never been published in the UK before now. Those readers who were unhappy with the American Del Rey series' decision to present the Elric stories in the (rough) order they were published may find these more to their liking.

I'd have to recommend 'Monsieur Zenith the Albino' by Anthony Skene, a book that heavily influenced Mr Moorcock's creation.

From there, Elric of Melnibone

then Stormbringer.

Oh, put Jade Man's Eyes inbetween - if you can find a copy - it's a little novella paperback published by a small company in Brighton years ago.

Which were the first three works written. All subsequent works were bolted-in due to the popularity of the character, and they have been chronologically listed earlier on this thread.

I'd have to recommend 'Monsieur Zenith the Albino' by Anthony Skene, a book that heavily influenced Mr Moorcock's creation.

From there, Elric of Melnibone

then Stormbringer.

Oh, put Jade Man's Eyes inbetween - if you can find a copy - it's a little novella paperback published by a small company in Brighton years ago.

Which were the first three works written. All subsequent works were bolted-in due to the popularity of the character, and they have been chronologically listed earlier on this thread.

Um, actually, the second title -- counting Monsieur Zenith as the first -- should be Stealer of Souls (story collection, 1963)... not Elric of Melniboné (novel, 1972). And the one following Stormbringer (novel, 1965) would be the collection The Singing Citadel (1970), not The Jade Man's Eyes (1973).

Actually, if you wish to go by the publication dates of the stories themselves, it gets considerably more complicated; and Stormbringer was published as a set of four stories, with about a quarter of the original text excised when it was published as a novel -- said text later reinstated in the mid-1970s.

I stand righteously corrected in detail, but not in intent :D

I shall refine my recommendation to Elric of Melnibone, possibly preceded by the graphic novel 'The Making of a Sorcerer' (by Moorcock and Simonson), followed by Zenith.

Much as I love Elric and Moorcock's work, I have found that only Elric of Melnibone has stood the test of time for me.

It's odd, but the different titles in that series have different appeals for me. The early stories, those gathered together in Stealer of Souls ("The Dreaming City", "While the Gods Laugh", "The Stealer of Souls", "Kings in Darkness", and "The Flame-Bringer") are, by and large, the weakest I think, though each has its points. Those which made up Stormbringer ("Dead God's Homecoming", "Black Sword's Brothers", "Sad Giant's Shield", and "Doomed Lord's Passing") begin rather roughly, but I think improve radically as they progress, and I've always felt they introduce some of Moorcock's best concepts, and even hold some of his most fascinating prose here and there.

Though I've always had a certain fondness for Elric of Melniboné, and feel it is (overall) a well-done novel, I can't say I think it is among the best... but again, it has some wonderful stuff in it. On the other hand, "The Last Enchantment" is one which I particularly like because it is quite different, and very much an idea piece, closely related (to me) to "Master of Chaos" (aka "Earl Aubec's Dream").

But I think my absolute favorites would remain The Vanishing Tower (aka The Sleeping Sorceress) and The Revenge of the Rose -- the first because of many of the details of the stories, not to mention several of the characters, and the way the joining of the aspects of the Champion (retold in different form in one of the Corum books) is told, and the handling of the tragic ending; the second because the Rose quickly became among my favorite Moorcock characters, and I think the writing is often frankly brilliant (it also has its oddities here and there which rather meander... but overall.....).

As Elric of Melniboné still holds such a place for you, I'm wondering... have you ever seen the Blue Star edition illustrated by Bob Gould? Despite some provoking typos, this remains my favorite edition of this particular tale....

I still have the Elric of Melnibone that I bought in 1975... it's the Arrow paperback (third edition, second by Arrow) that has the full-wrap cover by an uncredited artist.

The edition you mention has never crossed my awareness, let alone path :)

I still have the Elric of Melnibone that I bought in 1975... it's the Arrow paperback (third edition, second by Arrow) that has the full-wrap cover by an uncredited artist.

The edition you mention has never crossed my awareness, let alone path :)

I used to have a copy of that Arrow edition... very nice, as I recall. (Unfortunately, a huge amount of my Moorcock collection which was comprised of different editions, had to be let go some years ago. I retain a few such, but very few. However, I do try to keep those which show original text versus revised text, as I am interested in how Moorcock's ideas have evolved over time.)

As for the Blue Star edition... if you can find a copy through a library or somesuch, I suggest you look it up; it really is a beautiful thing, and the artwork is among the finest Moorcock's work has received, in my opinion... aside from some of the work by Michael Whelan, for example, or that exquisite wraparound jacket for the original edition of The Revenge of the Rose, using predominantly rose and old gold as the color motif (Robert Gould again)....