Seriously, read Mordant's Need

Karsa Orlong

Unchained
I've said this elsewhere, but seriously. It isn't very long, it's very easy to get into, and it's entertaining from start to finish, packed full of interesting characters and a twisting story set in a really unusual environment. Think about it, it's Donaldson and you know he's damn good, it's far less of a struggle/commitment than his other works, and as far as I'm aware they're still pretty easy to find. At least give them a try. ;)

Actually, I found this duology impossible to get into it. I couldn't finish it. And I loved Thomas Covenant and the Gap series. Didn't find the characters interesting or engaging. Same could be said for the story...

I agree with you Fried Egg. I recenty read Mirror of her Dreams and wasn't impressed with the characters. I thought they were rather dull and not much happened with the storyline. I definitely won't be reading the second book.

I read the books a few years back and remember thinking they were ok. There is nothing particularly special about them but they do have a very interesting magic system although the characters are fairly unoriginal. Certainly a decent duology but definitely not a must read.

These books are awesome, full of intrigue, magic and high fantasy. I for one cannot say a thing against them. Maybe not for everybody, but I thought I'd addd my voice to the "for"'s.
Cheers

I read them before TC and I really liked them, in hindsight a much less gruelsome read than TC, however, I did read them when I was in my teens and not read as much fantasy as I have now. I was thinking of revisiting them to see what I make of them now, I hardly ever re-read books and have no wish to re-read TC whatsoever, far too much like hard work.. I do remember enjoying them and wondering why they were overshadowed by TC and 17 years later I remember more of the story than I do TC

I read them many years ago. I found the main character too passive and blank in the first book. I also found the plotting inordinately complex. A further problem (one that has cropped up a few times in SD's work) was the mild sexual violence. This thrid problem (for me) gets very nasty in the GAP series, so much so that I almost didn't read on.

However, the idea was sound, and some of the scenes were superbly written.

I haven't read them for a while, but I think I recall it was kind of the point that the main character was passive and blank at first - she was kinda like a mirror herself and had to come to terms with her own power from the inside out, or something like that. I think I shall reread these, I enjoyed them and can't remember much about what happened, always a good sign for reread time.

Btw I do remember being creeped out a few times by the mild sexual violence, too. But when a writer has something to say, or wants the reader to think about something, which Donaldson generally does, then a bit of creeping out is not a bad thing. I don't recall it as being gratuitous as such, but rather part of the context and all very psychological as per usual with Mr Donaldson.

I give Mordant's Need the thumbs up. I remember it as being absorbing, imaginative and thoughtful, nowhere near as hard work as Thomas Covenant. (Donaldson Lite?) If on rereading I change my mind I will report back accordingly. ;)

I like Chronicles and GAP a lot, but for some reason I like Mordant's Need most of all. I remember reading it and wondering why it wasn't talked about as much as if not more than Chronicles. The most striking thing about it, for me, was just how far Stephen's prose had improved since TC. Exquisite.

So there's another voice for the 'fors' :)

- Dreir -

I think I've said this elsewhere, too, but will also chime in (What? Grim's speaking his mind? Imagine that!) on the side of the fors.

Would also note (again!) that anyone who has read any of the Covenant books, or the GAP series, can rather quickly see that the Mordant's Need series is lighter (mood wise) fare for Donaldson.

I read it many years ago and quite enjoyed it. I recently picked up a duology omnibus edition of this for my library but mainly because I'm a big Donaldson fan.

Finished this today. It's one of my best reads of the year so far. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely more uplifting than the Covenant books - a better balance of emotions. It did read more like a fairy tale than an epic fantasy; I'm sure this was the author's intention. However, it was still a story that was complex and had me thinking quite a bit. What appeared to be simplistic held more meaning for me, especially the theme of inaction and sacrifice.

Glad you enjoyed it, too!
It's certainly different :)

- Dreirden -

It's a long time ago since I read it, but I always see it as something different to the other Donadlson books, and I think I remember reading and interview with him at the time when he said that it was meant to be.

It is not as dark or as in depth. The writing is not as... for want of a better word... complicated. It is a straigtht forward read. Almost easy and refreshing.

I really enjoyed it, but almost as though it was by a different author, and not in the same way I enjoyed Covenant or the Gap series.

And MUCH lighter than his GAP series, Madam Druid. I actually wished that he'd continued the story line, or at least the world he created there, but that seems unlikely, at least while he's working on the third book in Last Chronicles, Against All Things Ending. His web site, incidentally, indicates that he should be into his 3rd draft of that work by now...

Great read ! Felt a bit like his version of a "juveniles" story.

Best wishes,
Dirk

I'll add my vote to the for's.
They are much lighter than TC, and a far easier read.
Absorbing story, nasty baddies, loveable goodguys (who wouldn't want to take Artagel for a pint?), and an original take on 'magic'.
Worth reading.

It's the only Donaldson I've read, but about 20 years ago. All I can remember is that I liked it a lot.