Human?

cillitbang12

I think Ryan is by far less human than Robert.

For example, at the end of the book, Ryan kills Eddi. After this, Robert could have killed Ryan, but chooses not too. I think this shows more humanity in Robert than in Ryan.

Also, look at some symbolism- Ryan's anonymous black suit seems less human than any white blood that Robert has.

Cillitbang, I think you might be getting at something.

In literature the colour black is often associated with darkness, death and evil. White, its opposite, is often associated with purity and godliness. If we apply this 'rule' to Being as Cillitbang has just done, then all sorts of questions can be asked!

Ryan represents some form of authority, that is certain. But, who gave him that authority and is there something more sinister afoot?

If anybody has any views on this or thinks Cillitbang and I are being led up the garden path, then make your opinions known here. :lol:

I agree that Robert is so much more human than Ryan. The way Kevin Brooks wrote about Ryan being cold in the eyes. Robert managed to make Eddi's more human too. I found her cold at first but she grew on me, came more human.
I loved the way Robert didn't kill Ryan, it was sooooooooo right i think!

Rebecca said:
Ryan represents some form of authority, that is certain. But, who gave him that authority and is there something more sinister afoot?

If you take the book as a metaphorical work, couldn't Ryan represent general authority? Yes, I agree with the black suit - he seems so menacing at points.

Story-wise, however, look at what Eddi said - he couldn't be found on any register. That, she said, meant that whoever he worked for would have to have access to every single list - criminal records (of all countries?), electoral rolls... this really does seem like either top-secret governmental affairs, or - possibly worse - a conspiracy of possiby global proportions.

I have to agree, Robert does seem more human then Ryan did, as he claimed that he didn't want to hurt anyone, yet he kills Eddi, and Robert has the chance to go ahead and kill Ryan, after everything he's done, but he simply chooses to walk away.

Also, Eddi couldn't find anything to do with Ryan, and she searched everywhere, so either he's some top secret worker, or he just doesn't exist.

Having reread the book (and practically on the anniversary of the last post here!) I've come up with (either) the idea that Ryan as an individual !doesn't! "exist" - he's simply a living, breathing metaphor for "Authority."
(And/or) Robert cannot kill Ryan because he IS Ryan - A nonentity as far as any records in the world show. Heck, Ryan could even be a metaphor for Rob's attempts to escape from what he is - eventually it will always come back to haunt him.
While there is no evidence per se to demonstrate this, it does tie in with Ryan's ability to find him in another country (Ryan "IS" Robert) and Ryan's inability to explain what Robert is - he doesn't know himself, so he can't give "himself" any answers.

The ending, with Ryan incapacitated but not dead, and Robert alone again against his demons, is essentially a repeat of the START of the book, with Kamal's car replaced with Eddi's motorcycle; He never really accomplished anything, just started everything over again, and still just as clueless. He has SOME answers, and so SOME of Ryan's taskforce is eliminated; aspects of himself that can no longer trouble him (Human emotions, ability to love, flesh and blood, finally found (temporary) contention).

- Still trying to work out where Eddi hid the second pistol!

Back