17 Important Things I've Learned About Writing and Publishing

That's a great mega-post! (I'm a newbie here, so I'm just discovering it.)

#3 has definitely been a big one for me!
I only started writing out my stories relatively recently, before I would only make lots of notes and fantaszie about telling my stories.

And I can't begin to tell you what a massive pet peeve #13 is for me!
Some really great points to keep in mind! : )

Thomas Storm

Very insightful, quite honestly I'm looking for more critiquing of my work. Not the fluffy 'wow this is so great' you get from friends and family but something raw about my work so I can continue to improve.

Ihe

Forum Revolutionary
Very insightful, quite honestly I'm looking for more critiquing of my work. Not the fluffy 'wow this is so great' you get from friends and family but something raw about my work so I can continue to improve.
You're in the right place then. Once you have 30 posts you can put up excerpts in the critiques section and get some good, honest feedback. Welcome to Chrons.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
As Ihe has said, we have a Critiques section which can be used by members with over 30 posts. However, do note that it's only available for unpublished work, not for anything which is already published. The full set of rules can be found here PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Rules and Guidelines for Posting in the Critiques Forum

TimBaril

I would add: Get Edited. Going through the developmental editing process can be expensive for self-publishing authors, but it's also a huge learning opportunity. It pays off by helping writers become better crafters.

(Full disclosure, I'm also an editor. lol)

franpatrick

Tomb Raider
I just find it funny that so many people still think that "wherefore" means "where." It's usually a sign of ignorance or a lack of education. "Wherefore" actually means "why," or "for what reason."

Guillermo Stitch

Fabulous opening post to this thread.

One of the biggest steps I have taken along my own journey has been in the way I solicit and handle feedback.

It has to be done and it has to be done with people you have no reason to suppose wish you well. At some point you need to get a glimpse of what your work looks like covered in bootprints. And you need to suck it up, ascend your own learning curve with regard to which input you act upon and which you don't, and get on with it.