Classic Horror

Ooof! It has been decades (since the early 1970s) since I read Castaneda; I'd have to go back and refresh my memory, which has grown very dim indeed, on the subject. But I don't believe I've ever encountered this connection before... and, if accurate, it is verrry interesting....

Aha, the early 2-3 books especially: dimly perceived forces manifesting themselves in a breeze, or in weird sounds, or in cries mimicking companions who then reappear and say it wasn't them. The witches that stalk with giant bounds like the Wendigo.

And judging by Blackwood's 'psychic detective' stories, he knew the evil weed intimately, so possibly there's not direct connection, just very similar paranoid trips out in nature...

But I prefer thinking Castaneda channeled Blackwood and Lovecraft and tied an anthropological ribbon on it. And then it all spun out of control and he had to distill increasing amounts of mystical schools just to keep one step ahead of the growing expectations of his hordes of followers.

Or, yet another version: Blackwood soaked up some injun folklore and made it into classics like The Wendigo, and used it to describe eerie events on an island in the Danube too.

Last edited:
Good or bad, I'm not at all sure I'd incline Stine as "classic" horror, given the brief time involved....

Actually, this is a discussion of classic literary horror, not film. That would be in the subforum on film discussion.....

I am not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but Wordsworth put out a collection of classic horror, supernatural and mystery short fiction. The series is called Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural. I bought the King in Yellow. I know that many if not all are free a ebooks but the covers are really well done and they are not that expensive. I think if anyone is searching for a good collection of classic horror these are the ones to get.

Best, Rob

I am not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but Wordsworth put out a collection of classic horror, supernatural and mystery short fiction. The series is called Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural. I bought the King in Yellow. I know that many if not all are free a ebooks but the covers are really well done and they are not that expensive. I think if anyone is searching for a good collection of classic horror these are the ones to get.

Best, Rob

And for those interested in a discussion on this series:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/49016-wordworth-tales-of-mystery-and-supernatural.html

Not to be confused with Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
Ed. by Herbert A. Wise and Phyllis Fraser, which I just found a 1st ed. 1944.... minus the cover dangit, but heyho 'tis a great reading copy.
It's chronological, and 'Terror' starts w/ Balzac, Poe, Collins, Bierce, Collins and ends w/ Faulkner, Hemingway, Collier, Household....and "Supernatural' which starts w/ Bulwer-Lytton, Hawthorne, Dickens, Le Fanu and ends w/ HPL.
For some reason, I started reading Suspicion by Dorthy Sayers. Great stuff.

The Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and Supernatural is actually a series of books written by some of the authors mentioned above. It is usually a collection of their short stories that were either previously collected in one or put together. I know the book J Riff is talking about and it's really quite good. It has Machen's Great God of Pan and a couple Lovecraft stories (I know one is Rat in the Walls).

Sorry I didn't see the sticky.

Best, Rob

No harm done, Rob, and there's no reason the Wordsworth series can't be used in discussions on this thread as well; I just thought it might be helpful for people who were unaware of the series, or the discussion of the series, if I used your post as an opening to provide a link to said discussion.

Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural, to me, remains one of the landmarks of the field... which may go some way toward explaining why it has continued to see publication even in very recent years....

(Oh, and the other HPL story there is "The Dunwich Horror"....)

I read Algernon Blackwood's The Willows and Wendigo last year and was stunned. True masterpieces of atmosphere which seem to have influenced both Lovecraft at his best and also... Castaneda.

Those are easily his two best stories. More then a bit of cosmic horror in those two.