Classic Horror

I just finished reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde novella and i wonder one thing. Is it written like a Gothic novel like the critics say ? Not read any of the famous Gothic stories so i woulndt know how a story like that is. Only a few EAP stories.

I wouldn't say it is written like a Gothic novel -- at least not like the genuine article; but it is definitely influenced by them in many ways: thematically, symbolically, certain atmospheric touches and conventions... all these owe a great deal to the Gothic novels (and fragments: see "Sir Bertrand", for instance) and to the weird and supernatural poetry which came before or was contemporary with them... of which there is actually quite a rich tradition.

Speaking of which... S. T. Joshi is going to be putting out a rather large selection of supernatural poetry dating from very early on (I'm not sure quite how early, but pre-Gothic at very least) to the present, something which will even eclipse that marvelous anthology Dark of the Moon, edited (at least according to the book) by August Derleth (though Donald Wandrei also had a heavy hand in it, as I understand the matter). To anyone interested in some truly great weird literature, I highly recommend looking these up....

I did feel the influence of the gothic while reading the story. Made me want to read the famoug Gothic horror novels.

I was excited for a second when i saw the library had Horace Walpole's famous novel but it was abdriged version,really damaged one.

Supernatural poetry sound very exciting i must remember that S.T Joshi collection. I did get a taste for supernatural poetry by reading a few great,epic ones by REH.

I was excited for a second when i saw the library had Horace Walpole's famous novel but it was abdriged version,really damaged one.

Abridged???? My gawd, the darned thing is short enough as is; why on earth would anyone abridge the darned thing? (Well, all right... I can understand why... but by the same token, it would make even more sense to simply go with HPL's synopsis instead of reading the novel at all, by that reasoning....)

As for reading the classics of the genre... you might want to look into a guide to what would be the best, as even the "classics" here vary considerably in quality... though I would suggest at least one or two by Ann Radcliffe (say, The Romance of the Forest, The Mysteries of Udolpho, or The Italian), as well as Melmoth, the Wanderer; some of the shorter gothic works; and, perhaps, Ambrosio; or, the Monk (though that is by no means a great novel as a whole, as it is very, very uneven in its writing... not surprising, given Lewis' very young age -- some time before he turned 20 -- at the time of writing....)

I've mentioned this book before, but you might want to invest in getting a copy of Jack and Barbara Wolf's Ghosts, Castles, and Victims, an anthology of excerpts from the classic Gothic novels as well as a number of Gothic or Gothic-influenced shorter works....

Supernatural poetry sound very exciting i must remember that S.T Joshi collection. I did get a taste for supernatural poetry by reading a few great,epic ones by REH.[/QUOTE]

Ann Radcliffe has been mentioned several times when i was researching important Gothic stories. I have been lacking enough classic female writers in my reading too.

I will go for that Four Gothic Novels in one by Oxford press. Four Gothic Novels: The Castle of Otranto; Vathek; The Monk; Frankenstein

Sounds like good place to start ;)
J.D has provided with you a pretty good starting point for the Gothic novel. I have that Oxford University Press book Conn and it is quite a good place to start....:rolleyes:

For Radcliffe try Mysteries of Udolpho and possibly The Italian. I've not actually read The Romance Of The Forest yet.

If you really begin to develop a great passion/interest for the Gothic novel you will probably want to dip into the excellent range offered by the publisher Valancourt. You may even get J.D. feeling a little jealous with those ones....;)

J.D has provided with you a pretty good starting point for the Gothic novel. I have that Oxford University Press book Conn and it is quite a good place to start....:rolleyes:

For Radcliffe try Mysteries of Udolpho and possibly The Italian. I've not actually read The Romance Of The Forest yet.

If you really begin to develop a great passion/interest for the Gothic novel you will probably want to dip into the excellent range offered by the publisher Valancourt. You may even get J.D. feeling a little jealous with those ones....;)

Perhaps... except for Necromancer of the Black Forest... oi!:rolleyes:

Con: yes, that's a good place to start. I warn you, though, that (save for a few spots here and there) Walpole's little opus, important though it is, is almost totally lacking in atmosphere, being written in a sprightly, almost witty style which totally undermines the potential of many of his scenes. So be prepared for dealing with that. (This is what I meant by my statements about abridgement earlier.)

On The Monk... I don't know whether this edition is the full text or not, as there are many variant versions out there... Lewis himself altered the volume for its second printing, if I recall correctly, to avoid prosecution; and some of the more scandalous passages were only replaced with the discovery of the original manuscript (or most of it, anyway) in a collection; the Oxford World's Classics edition, for instance, follows his original intent save where that is impossible due to lack of original materials, at which point it follows the earliest surviving published version. Several other editions have edited versions of the thing, some quite highly expurgated; so you may wish to look into that before making final judgment on what you think of this particular novel....

Even Frankenstein has two versions floating around out there, as you can see from this bit from Wiki:

Frankenstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've read both editions, and I must say that I often prefer the 1818 edition myself, though the 1831 edition is, obviously, more polished and removes basically all the infelicities of the original writing. It is, however, a bit more diffuse and therefore a bit less potent; but still an excellent novel.

Vathek -- well, I've discussed that one elsewhere. Most editions publish just the novel as it was originally published, sans "The Episodes of Vathek" (the third of which Beckford never actually completed... though Clark Ashton Smith actually did so), which are often published separately. The Ballantine Adult Fantasy edition reinserts these in the place in the novel they were originally intended to have (Beckford rushed the novel into print when he heard that the Reverend Samuel Henley was publishing an English version (Beckford originally composed the thing in French) without his permission (Beckford's name is omitted from this publication). At least, that is how the story goes; though I have seen disputes on the matter. At any rate, again, Vathek the novel stands just fine on its own, and is a delightful blending of wit and eeriness, very much influenced by the Arabian Nights (which were all the rage at the time, thanks to Galland's translation).

Oh, and just so you are aware: Vathek is not divided up into chapters; it is all one continuous narrative.

By the way... if you'd like to read "The Episodes of Vathek", you can find them online here:

http://www.horrormasters.com/Collections/SS_Col_Beckford.htm

And you can find Smith's completed version of the third episode here:

The Third Episode of Vathek by Clark Ashton Smith

I have been trained with classic fiction that i think Walpole wouldnt be a problem unless the book is totally unreadable. In my Hyde collection it was called the first horror book so historically its important for me who likes to get to know every type of classic horror i can find.

You dont have Edgar Allan Poe brilliant to be enjoyable.

OUP: he text follows that of the 'Third Edition' of 1816, in which Beckford extensively revised and corrected Samuel Henley's original English translations from the French. The elaborate notes retained by Beckford in 1816 are also included.

About Vathek that sounds good.Monk in OUP doesnt say which version it is.Frankenstein is the 1818 text.So im all good so i can order the OUP omnibus.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysteries_of_Udolpho

On The Monk... I don't know whether this edition is the full text or not, as there are many variant versions out there... Lewis himself altered the volume for its second printing, if I recall correctly, to avoid prosecution; and some of the more scandalous passages were only replaced with the discovery of the original manuscript (or most of it, anyway) in a collection; the Oxford World's Classics edition, for instance, follows his original intent save where that is impossible due to lack of original materials
HMM...I didn't know that about The Monk actually. Thanks for the tip....:)

In 1872, writer Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu published a tale that in many ways paved the road for Dracula, Lestat, and hundreds of other bloodsuckers to come. This was the tale of Carmilla, an undead seductress who typified the bond between vampirism and sensuality and whose dark influence on the genre can still be felt to this very day.

Carmilla is pretty famous among these knowledgeable horror fans.

Still, it's always nice to see Le Fanu get a mention. Bythe way, daniel... have you ever read Jack Sullivan's Elegant Nightmares? His analysis of "Carmilla" (and several of Le Fanu's other works) is among the best I've seen....

And, of course, when it comes to Dracula, one mustn't forget the influence of (gawdelpus!) Varney the Vampire....

Perhaps... except for Necromancer of the Black Forest... oi!:rolleyes:

Mind if I join the eye rolling ? :rolleyes:

You should remember how delighted I was with the book . :rolleyes:

I would sugest , most of all , to go into Vathek . It's short , not too wordy and poignant . Whereas Udolpho can run to , given which edition you have , 700-800 pages and that is not a good first choice realy .

If you do want a good long choice , then go for Melmoth .

And I did not read any of them yet , but a few of Charles Brockden Brown's novels could capture your interest ?

Heck I am not sure how gothic it is but I got into a short book a while ago (have not finished yet) , which concerns a child prodigy who is brought up without the knowledge of language to increase their tremendous power . It's called "The Master of Silence" and I should say it leans in this direction , given the general weird motiff .

And if I were to diverge from the gothic topic completely , I would highly advise you to go read "The King in Yellow" by Robert W. Chambers . (Only the first four stories though , the rest is pseudo romantic mush thrown in to pad out the book and has no conection to the "mythology" of the original four stories)

I'm a trifle hesitant about recommending Brown in most cases. His style is very much the sort of thing most people think of when they think of writers of that period -- full of circumlocutions, redundancies, occasional passage of turgid prose, and sometimes bald, flat writing with no flavor whatsoever. These, of course, are the drawbacks to his writing. When he is on form, however, he can be very good indeed... it is just that he is so uneven. Worth reading, but likely to be a bit of a roadblock for most modern readers.

However, Wieland is certainly worth a go, as are large sections of Arthur Mervyn (though that one does lag rather badly in spots).

I have a soft spot for Brown, but I must admit it is an acquired taste....

As for Udolpho... I recommend it as one of the high-water marks in the Gothic school... even the detractors of the Goths admitted this one was something special; while The Romance of the Forest is rather shorter and, when it hits those atmospheric high spots, can be nearly as powerful. The problem with this one is that it also has much of the type of romance novel most readers have a bit of trouble with these days. Still... it has a great deal to it of interest, and remains one of my personal favorites among the Gothics....

I got barely a hundred pages in to Udolpho before I had to return it and the heroine fainted three times by then :rolleyey

Had a google for this, couldnt find that specific title but I did find "Hell House" (1953)
Is this the Richard Matheson of I Am Legend fame?

A) Hell House in 1953? What was your source on this one, Larry? Hell House is a novel by Richard Matheson which was first published in 1971, not 1953.

B) Yes, it's the same Matheson. Hell House is a very good novel, but there are also some pretty graphic passages dealing with both sex and violence. They aren't gratuitous, but they are uncompromising and uncomfortable to read. Nonetheless, it is one I would highly recommend.

Incidentally, a peculiar little personal note: When I first read the novel shortly after it was published, I kept picturing Roddy McDowall as Benjamin Franklin Fisher. He just immediately came to mind. Sure enough, when the film The Legend of Hell House was made two years later, that is who was cast in the role....

It's a scary flick. Spoiler>>>> The original owner of the house, a Mr. Belasco, killed himself by sitting in a chair and staring at a glass of water until he died of thirst!
His body was in the Chapel, in a lead-lined room, decades before anyone knew that lead shielding would protect his body, or spirit, from being zapped- which a scientist does while Roddy McDowell is getting clobbered by the evil presence in the house.
The prof's. machine seemingly clears the house of evil, but then -
Worth a watch, one of the best of the seventies, and not massacred like I Am Legend and other Matheson stuff. Altho The Shrinking Man was OK.
Earlier versions of I am Legend were The Last Man on Earth w/ Vincent Price and The Omega Man w/ Charlie Heston.

I read Algernon Blackwood's The Willows and Wendigo last year and was stunned. True masterpieces of atmosphere which seem to have influenced both Lovecraft at his best and also... Castaneda.

Ooof! It has been decades (since the early 1970s) since I read Castaneda; I'd have to go back and refresh my memory, which has grown very dim indeed, on the subject. But I don't believe I've ever encountered this connection before... and, if accurate, it is verrry interesting....