Classic Horror

Edgar Allen Poe is one of my favorite. The way he writes is unique and plus the life he led was scary itself...Plus what about Stephen King the Shining??? That is a classic...Maybe my taste is off who knows?!?

I don't know as I'd say that (albeit it's been a very long time since I read The Shining), but the thread was more intended to tackle the earlier classics of the field, rather than more contemporary work. (Though it does feel a little strange to realize we're coming up on 32 years since the publication of that particular book....)

I say, you better polish your german, or I will have you read Werther in the original unreadabely decorative "gothic" font !

Tell you what, Lobo... if I can ever get my German to a respectable level, you send me a copy, and I'll gladly read it. (I assume you're talking about the old "black letter" gothic font, in which case, I happen to have about as much of a fondness for that as I do for the "long s"... which fondness is considerable....:D)

Tell you what, Lobo... if I can ever get my German to a respectable level, you send me a copy, and I'll gladly read it. (I assume you're talking about the old "black letter" gothic font, in which case, I happen to have about as much of a fondness for that as I do for the "long s"... which fondness is considerable....:D)
Give me 6 months and I'll get you up to a reasonable standard I'm sure .....:D Ah yes the good old long S..what we now call the Sharfes S.

Oh, but you'll go blind and die of boredom before long !

I rather doubt it. For one thing, I enjoy reading Goethe (at least, what I have read, at any rate); for another, as I said, I have a strong fondness for both black-letter editions and such other typographical oddities....

Mr. G... I may just take you up on that....:D

And now, back to our ostensible topic....:eek:

Mr. G... I may just take you up on that....:D
Well, some time ago I did translate something from an old German book riddled with Gothic typescript and the double s for Alia who from memory sent me the book from the US, which was very nice of her.

There's a couple of classic SFF books I'm getting in German because they're simply too expensive or hard to get in English translation. Part of the final list for published works for my library.

Speaking of Goethe I have some of his works e.g. Faustus and Young Werther and other stories, which are very good. Have several German authors actually but mainly translations into English including Mann Sr. and Jr., Hesse, Grass etc...

As mentioned in the recent reading threads, I've been going through several works by Théophile Gautier, and have been quite impressed with his work. However, only a handful of the tales I've read can be qualified as "horror" or "supernatural terror tales" or the like, and of these, few seem available on the 'net (save, perhaps, through Internet Archive, but I seem to be having trouble accessing those lately).

Among them one of, if not the, best, is "Le Morte Amoureuse", or "Clarimonde", which is available, in Lafcadio Hearn's translation (which, looking at it, answers my question: yes, the one included in my Gautier volume is indeed his work). I highly recommend it to all who love tales of revenants, vampires, lamiae, and the like:

Clarimonde by Théophile Gautier - Project Gutenberg

Another, though rather lighter in tone (without lacking a certain eeriness nonetheless) is "The Mummy's Foot", which is also available:

The Mummy's Foot, by Théophile Gautier

Does anyone else out there know of any of the following as etexts:

The Fleece of Gold
The Evil Eye (Jettature)
Spirite

If so, please bring in links to them, so that others may enjoy this man's (really quite remarkable) work....

So I see. Well, I'll edit with a note so that people avoid having that problem....

Then comes the joy of trying to track down all these things again....:rolleyes:

I copied it before, so here it is :

That was rather the point, really -- to provide links to the works mentioned, as the titles and such can easily be found in Lovecraft's essay or otherwise.

At any rate, I'll be listing them in the order he has them in the essay, so it won't be alphabetical, but rather historical/thematic (the latter, for instance, involving the original -- an ancient Greek tale -- and its later adaptations, such as Goethe's "Bride of Corinth" and Irving's "Adventure of the German Student". I'll be skipping over those listed in the "Introduction" in the piece, as they will largely be mentioned later on, with very few exceptions....

And, rather than splitting them up into several threads, I'll start a companion thread to this, just for the listings and links....

th_PoeMustDie.jpgHey j.d., here's something that might interest you if you haven't already heard of it (somehow I suspect you have). Read the first hundred pages or so about 30 years ago but gave up. Just didn't do anything for me. But I'm going to give it another try after I catch up on my comic reading which was put on hold for Halloween thrills.

Ah, yes... Poe Must Die. Hmmm... Well, I read a bit of it back when it was first published (in paperback, at least -- I don't know about hardback publication), and was less than impressed. My (now ex-)wife made it all the way through, and found it... meh. The man has been the focus of many a novel, play, and short story, but few of them have been all that worthwhile, I'm afraid.

By all means, if your experience with it this time around has you feeling it is better than that, please let me know. I never mind being pleasantly surprised... and at the very least, thanks for bringing it to the discussion.:)

In that email I got from Hippocampus today (see the Ligotti Conspiracy thread), it is mentioned that H. B. Drake's The Shadowy Thing will also be published soon (scheduled for this month, in fact) as a part of the "Lovecraft's Library" series. This was a novel which almost certainly influenced Lovecraft to some degree; he had good things to say about it in SHiL, and it has been long out of print. So for those interested in classic horror at a reasonable price....

Related items (not necessarily classic in the usual sense) are a collection of stories by Donald R. Burleson, Lovecraftian critic (who has a very different approach in both criticism and fiction): Wait for the Thunder: Tales for a Stormy Night; and the release of Dead Reckonings No. 6 (a review journal of the horror field), which would help those interested to track down what is and is not worth spending their money on:

Dead Reckonings No. 6 - Hippocampus Press

I have no idea if the following stories in my recent Gautier collection from NYRB classics fits under the supernatural banner, although that seems to be what the back cover is possibly indicating. Can you briefly expand on these at all J.D., remembering I'm yet to read them and don't want to read the book's Intro as that can oft prove to be a genuine spoiler?

The Adolescent
The Priest
the Painter
The Opium Smoker
The Actor
The Tourist
The Poet

P.S. If they're not of this Genre I'm confident I'll still enjoy them as Gautier appears to be quite well regarded within the Canon of European Literature and this collection intended to span his entire working career.

Actually, these are not among those I have read at this point -- or at least, I haven't read any published under those titles (varying translations often used quite different titles). So I'm afraid I can't help there... but this also means I need to push this one up the priority list and get a copy soon.....

Actually, these are not among those I have read at this point -- or at least, I haven't read any published under those titles (varying translations often used quite different titles). So I'm afraid I can't help there... but this also means I need to push this one up the priority list and get a copy soon.....
Thanks all the same.

If I get a chance to read it soon, I'll post a review here as well as the usual places....:)

I just finished reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde novella and i wonder one thing. Is it written like a Gothic novel like the critics say ? Not read any of the famous Gothic stories so i woulndt know how a story like that is. Only a few EAP stories.

I liked how it started like a mystery and then went very weird,fantastical. More complex,disturbing than the story that is in the collective consciousness. All the movies,comics,tv shows are not fascinating as the story was.