Started reading Pawn of Prophecy...

lea27

I cant get my head round it.. Let me explain. I love fantasy books, Gemmell and George Martin in particular but this book just skips over all the detail, i mean the size of it, which is tiny, indicates to me the lack of detail within it. its just all so simple! story is fine in itself but just glosses over what could be important points.
i know your all going to recommend i read this as this is the Eddings page but what did you think of the style of writing? did it put you off at first but the story made you persevere?

I think I first read Pawn of Prophecy 10 years ago, so the simplistic style didn't bother me much back then. Still, looking back at it now, it does seem to lack detail when compared to other authors, or even some of his later work.
Now that I come to think about it, the simple style just made it easier for me to read it quickly. I was able to get through the entire Belgariad series in a very short time. The story is good, despite its faults, and it probably is worth sticking with it.

I read it in 2 days, and while i enjoyed it, i couldn't afford to buy the rest :p I'll probably go back to the Belgariad when I'm old and rich. Ok, if I'm rich and if I'm old.

I read it in 2 days, and while i enjoyed it, i couldn't afford to buy the rest :p I'll probably go back to the Belgariad when I'm old and rich. Ok, if I'm rich and if I'm old.
You might want to see if your library has them available. My library has all 5 books of the Belgariad and that's how I read them. They also have the Mallorean, but I was pretty lukewarm to the Belgariad so I'll pass on the its sequel.

I read it when I was thirteen and I thoroughly enjoyed it (it was the book that really got me started in the fantasy genre) but when I look back now (nearly twenty years on), I do find his style too simplistic and childish. My conclusion is that I don't believe it is really a book aimed at adults.

Yeah It was one of the First Fantasy books that I read when I was young too. Reread it again a few years back and Don't think that it lost any of its charm. Was a good easy read and I think that was part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. You could get lost in it easily and not have to think too much.
I would definetly recommend it to any young readers who didn't know where to start.

I like it's simple style.....if I'm in a "get me away from all this" mood, they're great books to sit back and read for a few days, just to escape and not tax the brain too much.

i read it when i was young. one of my first fantasy books. i didn't mind it's style then. won't read it now. it just doesn't hold up to martin or gemmell or hobb. it's simplistic, childish, and just nothing special. he did write them a LONG time ago, so i can't say what his newer books are like, but i tend to think he got in print with those because back then, 20 years ago maybe more, or so, there wasn't a lot else to compare it to. i have the same theory for brooks. of course, taht could just me being mean :) but either way, i outgrew them both and don't think they stand up that well to newer writers.

wouldn't and don't read them anymore. sold mine, in fact

and na, just cos it's a forum for a writer, doesn't mean we all like him. check otu the jordan and goodkind ones! said some harsh stuff in there :p

I cant get my head round it.. Let me explain. I love fantasy books, Gemmell and George Martin in particular but this book just skips over all the detail, i mean the size of it, which is tiny, indicates to me the lack of detail within it. its just all so simple! story is fine in itself but just glosses over what could be important points.
i know your all going to recommend i read this as this is the Eddings page but what did you think of the style of writing? did it put you off at first but the story made you persevere?

I have to agree. A friend suggested it, and I just couldn't get into it. I made three or four attempts, and it didn't do anything for me. See, I'm a great lover of Tolkien and Eoin Colfer, but no matter how many people say Eddings is fantastic, I will have to disagree with them from now on.

it really depends on what you like. the writing style changes noticeably by the end of book 2, becomes a LOT more modern and easy. the characters become a bit more believable (still fairly cardboard cut out-y though), and the plot speeds up.

if you can read Tad Williams without giving yourself a migraine, it may be a bit too simple for you! I enjoy it as escapism, pure and simple.

Like many here, I have a weird love/hate relationship with those books. Because I read them when I was young, the characters have managed to remain fond memories, like old friends worth a visit every now and then. When the visit's over, I can return to denser, more complicated and rewarding fantasy.

If you remember, that Eddings has to provide a potted biography of Garion, then introduce a whole galaxy of characters (including Belgarath and Polgara) while telling the story as experienced by an illiterate fourteen-year-old, who has his entire life turned on it's head in a single night, well, you can understand the weaknesses in the story. I have always seen Eddings as one of the few Americans who Can write fantasy. Not as good as Leiber, but infinitely better than many.

I must agree Ace, the writing style makes sense when you consider the protagonist and the intended readers of a book well known for its simplicity.

Personally Pawn of Prophecy remains one of my all-time favourite fantasy books. i read it first when i was fourteen - which now that i think of it actually surprises me that i've been reading fantasy for this long. I read the Hobbit at 11 and the Lord of the Rings at 12 or 13 (and all of these several times since)... all of which Eddings swept away with his light-hearted, fun storyline. Simple, yes, but also unostentatious and not nearly as long-winded - a lesson our dear Papa Tolkein could have so seriously have learned.
Whilst now i'm a huge George RR Martin fan, The Belgariad is the one series that i have re-read every single year - at least once - since first reading these books.

I read the Hobbit at 11 and the Lord of the Rings at 12 or 13 (and all of these several times since)... all of which Eddings swept away with his light-hearted, fun storyline. Simple, yes, but also unostentatious and not nearly as long-winded - a lesson our dear Papa Tolkein could have so seriously have learned.

I certainly don't agree, but to each his/her own. I read both Tolkien and Eddings often each year, for different rewards. For me, Eddings is like to zoning out to a sitcom, while Tolkien is a hugely mentally engaging affair. Each has their importance, and special place.

ive just started to re read this, having started it a while ago and getting as far as book 3. So, im starting again, and i must say, yeah, its not heavy, its an easy read... but since im just reading them to chill out abit from my work, im finding them a really relaxing read :) i gotta say though, i agree here about Tolkein being slightly longwinded - but then, thats my own opionion. lol. I do love the Elenium best though. it just "is!"

So, is it worth reading? Because i bought it, started reading it and the introduction just tired me out.

But if you guys are so enthusiastic, i'll give it a go.

First off, LJ, I have to say, it IS worth reading, but ALWAYS skip the intros on his books. They've bored me to sleep after two pages.

With that out of the way, I have to say I started out with Eddings, as far as fantasy is concerned, and never read much from more classic authors like Tolkein or Feist or anyone like that. The Belgariad is a good series and-though people around here may tar and feather me for saying this-I also immensely enjoyed the Mallorean and would suggest you go through that as well.

I'd also recommend the Elenium, though I really wouldn't try to shove the Tumuli off on you, it wasn't nearly as good. I've yet to get anywhere in the Dreamers, though from what I've heard it's not worth taking the time to open the first volume.....

Yes, I must admit, I didn't have a very high opinion of The Dreamers. I did like the Elenium and the Tamuli, too, but the Belgariad is definitely worth reading.