What Anime and Animation are you currently watching?

Urusei yatsura. The king of an alien race makes a deal with the humans: if one of you wins in a game of tag against my daughter, I won’t invade the Earth. The Earth’s representative is randomly chosen… and it happens to be the protagonist. He wins the game, and now the alien girl is in love with him.

This anime is a remake of a 70’s classic, and one of the top-selling manga ever. It’s the prototype of the rom-com we have today. The jokes are all the same (well, they started here), but they’re still funny as hell anyway.
I watched the entire tv series, the OAVs, & the movies during my early year with Netflix. Very entertaining!

Goody! 12 movies are available on CR!

I watched the entire tv series, the OAVs, & the movies during my early year with Netflix. Very entertaining!

Goody! 12 movies are available on CR!
That is a lot of material :LOL: Back in the day, I'd just sit down and binge everything too; nowadays, long series put me off. I can only handle it if I watch weekly releases of new anime, but it's getting harder to find the time to watch older anime.

I am retired, so, I have plenty of time. Still, I do not usually start anime until 10 PM.

A Wind named amnesia. A “wind” blows and everyone forgets everything, and I mean literally everything. People forget how to speak and how to do the most basic things, and society becomes a Violence Jack-style post-apocalypse.

It has some good science-fiction ideas (the “wind” not being one of them), like the way the protagonist regains his knowledge; but it’s also very weird (and weird bad).

Also, that title could easily go in the batty book titles thread.

The Dragon Prince. Now about 2/3 through S2, on Netflix. The target age range is a bit young for me, but I'm mostly enjoying this. My jury's still out on having faux-medieval characters speaking in a modern young idiom. Sometimes it falls flat, but sometimes, especially when done knowingly for comic effect, it really works.

What else I'm enjoying is not knowing how bad or not the "villain" really is. And I *love* the mystery box of the mirror and who's behind it. I'm absolutely gripped by that.

Just started a 2nd viewing of GALAXY EXPRESS 999 (PRONOUNCED THREE NINE). Forgot how intense it was.

Ghost Hound. In a small town, a boy keeps having strange dreams where his soul leaves body and goes after his missing sister. Every time he wakes up, he records a description of that dream, aiming to recover lost memories of a forgotten past. At the same time, strange things happen in the town. Supernatural and spiritual things.

Weird, I know. This series is written and directed by the same people that made Serial Experiments Lain, so you get why all the weirdness. I'm not understanding much myself. But the difference is that Lain manages to hook the viewer right away, whereas this one doesn’t. The only reason why I’ll keep watching is because the concept was made by Ghost in the Shell’s author.

Now and Then, here and there.

This is an original anime from the late 90’s that I started watching due to a suggestion by the guy from Mother’s Basement. A boy is transported to another world, more specifically, to a militarized kingdom where even the children are soldiers and the leader wants to conquer everything.

It’s pretty good, especially the worldbuilding. I like how they thought about the clothing, the weapons and everything about that other world. Oh, and it’s also very disturbing. There’s a lot of violence towards children and animals.

And I *love* the mystery box of the mirror and who's behind it
Just to clarify, I didn't mean love who's behind it in that sense.

Oh, wait...

Finished S4 (of The Dragon Prince) a few days ago. It seemed very slight for a season, and I didn't like what they'd done with some of the characters after the two-year time-skip. (Apparently understanding some of what happened in-between relies on reading a spin-off comic, to which, nope.) Also, not enough Aravos!

Golden Kamuy. After the Russo-Japanese War, an ex-soldier hears about a treasure hidden by the Ainu, and goes after it alongside an Ainu girl.

I remember watching this the first time it came out. I ended up dropping it because of the bad CGI in some parts. But people make a lot of noise about this series so I decided to give it another go, and I’m glad I did. It’s amazing. There is no bad episode and not a single minute goes to waste. I’m also learning a lot about the Ainu people (before that, the only thing I knew was that they were an indigenous population in Hokkaido, northern Japan). It’s also very violent--just the way I like it.

Lookism. A Korean Netflix original "anime" about a high-school student who, after a life of severe bullying, can switch between two different bodies: a fat and ugly for a the night; and a tall and handsome for the day.

The bullying scenes made me feel bad, and I was eager to see his revenge against the bullies. But the story isn't about that. It's about how society discriminates based on phisical appearance (and Korea does that much more than the West). I won't keep watching because I have much more things in my list (namely, I'm currently addicted to Golden Kamuy); but I must say that it's pretty interesting.

Now and Then, here and there.

This is an original anime from the late 90’s that I started watching due to a suggestion by the guy from Mother’s Basement. A boy is transported to another world, more specifically, to a militarized kingdom where even the children are soldiers and the leader wants to conquer everything.

It’s pretty good, especially the worldbuilding. I like how they thought about the clothing, the weapons and everything about that other world. Oh, and it’s also very disturbing. There’s a lot of violence towards children and animals.
I saw that years ago; very intense!

I just started EDENS ZERO on NF; noticed characters originating in FAIRY TAIL (TALE?); mainly the talking blue cat named Happy. Watched abot 10 episodes so far; might finish it by next week.

It was drawn by the guy who drew/wrote Fairy tail; similar humor. Very enjoyable. :giggle:

I saw that years ago; very intense!

I just started EDENS ZERO on NF; noticed characters originating in FAIRY TAIL (TALE?); mainly the talking blue cat named Happy. Watched abot 10 episodes so far; might finish it by next week.

It was drawn by the guy who drew/wrote Fairy tail; similar humor. Very enjoyable. :giggle:
If you look closely, the drawings are also very similar to One Piece. That happens because both authors studied under Samurai X's creator.

Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan. I think it's my third rewatch of Kimetsu and fourth or fifth of Shingeki. The new seasons are coming so I decided to refresh my memory, and I'm glad I did. I was able to catch and understand many things that had slipped through the cracks. Real masterpieces, modern classics; they've set new standards for anime.

I just finished disc 1 of THE PERILS OF PENELOPE PITSTOP :LOL:. 2 episode had commentary tracks. Interesting stuff! Also finished Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines a few months ago. both far funnier than Wacky Races; after just disc #1, I wanted no more. Granted, these were made for kids, but the spin-offs were much better than the original. Admittedly, my favorite couch gag is the wacky races one!

Also started watching Shinobi no Ittoki a modern ninja story, in which the ninja wear suits that enhance their abilities, similar to those worn by the Night Sabers of BUBBLEGUM CRISIS, etc. So, there are various ninja villages, at enmity with each other, etc., but they have a united nations type organization that supposedly keeps the peace.

This one normal high school boy suddenly finds himself thrust into the ninja world, which he had thought was fiction. His village was framed for killing the leader of another, who happened to embrace peaceful coexistence, but some followers preferred war. Seems likely they did the deed.

12 episodes (so far?) just finished #7 last night. Could hardly turn it off, compelling.

PARADISE PD just started season #3. My brother came up a week ago, and I started showing him this at s1e1, but, he thought it was too gross. It is raunchy, & disgusting, but very funny.

Apparently MOB PSYCHO 100 ends here. :cry: Another very enjoyable program laid to rest.

Giant Beasts of Ars (not arse! :LOL:). The first show I began watching this season. A medieval fantasy world where giant monsters lurking around fortified cities are slain by magical warriors called paladins, and, sometimes, by civilian volunteers who draw the monsters into traps.

Firstly, the worldbuilding: it is great. I often talk about great worldbuilding being about showing how the fantastical elements alter the world (Made in Abyss being a good example of that), and this show does this just right (so far). The Economy itself revolves around the monsters. Numerous resources are gathered after a titan beast is slain, and whole markets live off of that. The empire where the show takes place is also on the brink of civil war, thus relegating the beasts to a secondary threat.

It’s still soon to talk about the magic system. The paladin (only men so far) has a given elemental power (say, fire or ice), and fights alongside a partner (only women thus far) that turns into a weapon. Pretty good for a first episode, but not a masterclass.

The protagonist, a washed up paladin with a drinking problem, and his partner, a girl presumably created in a lab, are not original at all. Character is not this anime’s forte.

I’ll keep watching. The setting managed to evoke a sense of wonder, and I’ll stay tuned until it stops.

Revenger. After being tricked into killing the leader of his clan, an ex-samurai retainer is recruited by a sort of guild that does any dirty job.

Great action in gritty, bloody scenes. The characters are diverse and cool, and the motivation is believable. There are not only sword fights, but also gun fights, something I wish I saw more often in samurai fiction.

The first episode managed to hook me, at least until the next one.