War of the Worlds (2005)

Re: War Of The Worlds

Went to see the movie yesterday afternoon. Well, I'm sorry to say I feel it could of been better. The acting was OK, but the actors were reacting and not really acting. I expected better because Spielberg as done good movies and had good actors with really moving performances. This movie was seriously lacking in that.

However, the special effects were good, I liked the aliens, I thought panick was well done, in fact it seemed like the whole movie was a panick attack all the way through.

The ending though true to the book just seemed a bit flat.

I really like the war of the worlds album by Jeff Wayne, and at times wished that music had been used. It felt so odd hearing someone else narrate those famous words at the start of the movie. Richard Burton did them so much better :)

Watched this last night too and was underwhelmed.
There were too many questions left unanswered and for long periods of the movie, nothing happened.
Spielbergs decision to entirely focus on 1 families story worked sometimes and didn't others - I got a bit sick of seeing them hide in the basement :rolleyes:
The scenes of panic & loss weren't done with sufficient weight or focus to make them tragic. Most of the time it was strangers running, looking scared. Ironically, Independance Day did this better, by focussing on the stories of 3 or 4 different people in different settings.
I wasn't too bothered by the ending, as it is true to the book as was handled well.

On a brighter note, I thought the design of the tripods was excellent, and the sound they made before each attack was very chilling.

Winters_Sorrow said:
Watched this last night too and was underwhelmed.
There were too many questions left unanswered and for long periods of the movie, nothing happened.
Spielbergs decision to entirely focus on 1 families story worked sometimes and didn't others - I got a bit sick of seeing them hide in the basement :rolleyes:
The scenes of panic & loss weren't done with sufficient weight or focus to make them tragic. Most of the time it was strangers running, looking scared. Ironically, Independance Day did this better, by focussing on the stories of 3 or 4 different people in different settings.
I wasn't too bothered by the ending, as it is true to the book as was handled well.

On a brighter note, I thought the design of the tripods was excellent, and the sound they made before each attack was very chilling.

I agree with your thoughts. Probably that was the problem with the movie. Not quite enough going on, and I got fed up of the kid screaming :confused: She did a good scream mind, it just got tiresome after a while.

This movie is worth seeing for the aliens though, very well done. But personally I would wait until it comes out on DVD and hire it.

rune said:
I agree with your thoughts. Probably that was the problem with the movie. Not quite enough going on, and I got fed up of the kid screaming :confused: She did a good scream mind, it just got tiresome after a while.

This movie is worth seeing for the aliens though, very well done. But personally I would wait until it comes out on DVD and hire it.

I agree, it concetrated too much on that one family, I expected to see a bit more of the aliens. I did phase out a bit in the film (I remember watching that peanutbutter sandwhich slide down the window with great interest!), but I would still go see it at teh cinema, it is a good film, it just depends what you like.

Saw the movie. Total disappointment.
Speilberg tries to view individual tragedy in the war and the war is only a fantastic background for it. The movie lacks panoramicness and that differs it from HG Wells' book. Good effects, sometimes you even feel that grim atmosphere filled with sticky fear and horrors but only sometimes. Primitive typically Hollywood script, too many logical flaws.

Saw it last Wednesday It wasnt too bad honest it wasnt, the Tripods were the best interpretation id seen though the noise they made reminded me of that Tv series shown years ago called Tripods anyone remember that?

It was boring though I had expected more action even tho Id heard it was more psychological, the Plane crash was well thought out the plane having been brought and then wrecked. The Train was shocking not something Id have thought of but just the image going through the crossing.

The clothes that were seen strewn about were provided by lost and found at airports imagine seeing your missing jumper on screen. :rolleyes:.

Its not the sort of film you would want to go see day after day.

I did wonder why noone had ever built a house on top of one or maybe they did but wouldnt they have noticed a huge ship type thing there when they did the foundations.

I suppose the premise was that these things had been planted on Earth 'a million years ago' and buried pretty deep (guessing 100 foot+ or so) so unless you get a major engineering project, they wouldn't be disturbed.

Would have been nice trying to see one climb out of the hoover dam reservoir though :D

One of the mot serious flaws of the movie: so, hy had they waited for so long?Or maybe, I just missed something?

Well, I think the movie missed the point. In the novels and earlier film - the ships landed. What kind of fool sends advanced technology to the world you're about to invade & conquer only to run the risk of it being discovered, adapted & used against you.

Pillocks. They deserved everything they got :)

I had heard that Gene Barry & Ann Robinson who starred in the 1953 version starred in this version so I toddled along to imdb to see who they played and to see if they could be spotted only to discover they play the grandparents at the end of the film.

Some of the trivia for the film is interesting for example
In the cellar, note the multi-colored lights just prior to the probe entering. This references the red, blue and green lights from the probe in the 1953 version of the film, though no part of the probe in this film emits any of those colors.

I was actually quite annoyed with the probe scene. In the '53 War of the Worlds it served a purpose. It was taken away & examined by the scientists to 'setup' the audience for the ending.
In this version it was a pale & pointless homage that served no purpose other than to allow us to glimpse the aliens.
But then I hated the whole 'basement' scene with Tim Robbins as completely pointless too.

I've heard the movie hasnt got good reviews either. It's such a dissappointment when you know that Spielberg and do so much better. I for one really got my hopes up for a great movie, especially as I didnt like the old one.
Perhaps it's partly my own fault for having too high expectations :confused:

I find that about movies too. If I let myself get too excited for a movie it never quite lives up to your own imagination. If I go in with low expectations or none at all, it seems to work out fine.

There's a moral in there somewhere but I'll be damned if I can figure it out... :D

It's got a few plot holes, but I rarely see scifi that doesn't. This film was an absolute trip, loved it. Just don't go in expecting Shakespeare and you'll be fine.

I enjoyed this movie more than Fantastic Four and Batman Begins (which has gotten rave reviews).:eek: It would have been better served as a mini-series that followed more than one survival plot, though.

WarlikeMenelaos said:
I saw it yesterday and I have to say this is a great film!

The ending was a bit...ummm....lacking in something. Just a few little things weren't explained like I thought they would be. The special effects are amazing and the acting is top notch. Overall a film that everyone just has to see!

Out of 10.....I'd give it a 9
I saw the film last night, and have to agree the ending was lacking something. There were a few mistakes made that I caught, and that's pretty bad if I caught them. I have to admit I was expecting a lot more from Speilberg and Cruise. But overall it's a good Video movie...

And I think a 9 is too high, more like a 6 or 7 from me, out of ten.

Alia said:
I saw the film last night, and have to agree the ending was lacking something. I have to admit I was expecting a lot more from Speilberg and Cruise. But overall it's a good Video movie....

I am going to have to agree with Alia 100%. The end just kind of tapered off. Right after the grenade fiasco, the verynext scene "huh....the Aliens are dead....oh....ummm.....well I guess....I'll see you...tomorrow....alright" Horrible.

I found the film quite boring to be honest, though the FX were excellent.

Back