Ring Worlds.

Omits

I have a draft concept for alien orbiting ringworlds. Each 'world' occupies a space within an arc second (arcsec) centered on the systems barycenter. Not sure what a possible size of one world would need to be to contain a population of a given size (let's say 100,000 bipeds slightly smaller than humans). Each world would have real gravity, atmosphere and a combination of water, landscape for its surface. What would make this ring feasible is at all? Bit of an open question!

Each 'world' occupies a space within an arc second (arcsec) centered on the systems barycenter

I find this difficult to visualise. Is it possible for you to draw a diagram, take a photo and upload it?

I find this difficult to visualise. Is it possible for you to draw a diagram, take a photo and upload it?
Will try in the next few days. Think of Ringworld (Niven) though and chop it up into sections the inner surface the habitation with atmosphere the back end all the works.

Möbius Strip Worlds anyone?

The problems of actually building a Ringworld were discussed at length in chat rooms land early internet forums where Larry Niiven himself would sometimes take part. Ringworld Engineers was also written, in part, as an answer to some of these engineering questions. I’m unsure if those discussions are still available to read anywhere.

Möbius Strip Worlds anyone?

The problems of actually building a Ringworld were discussed at length in chat rooms land early internet forums where Larry Niiven himself would sometimes take part. Ringworld Engineers was also written, in part, as an answer to some of these engineering questions. I’m unsure if those discussions are still available to read anywhere.
Yes I read that novel. If I remember the sections were coupled together with some cable. Not sure though perhaps it was a continuous band around the Sun. My idea is to have individual 'worlds' independently orbiting but maintaining distance with its neighbour in the next arc. Thus to build is easy–just one at a time. The first one is the manufacturing facility for the others then towed/sent into orbit. I am wondering though how a cuboid can orbit tidally locked. Maybe it is not necessary to have a night/day period as part of the design.

Last edited:
That is how I remember it. Tethered to each other, to be clear, and thus forming a sectional ring itself around the sun. This ring was geostationary, I think.
The habitat ring was spinning around the sun, so the shadow (or shadows, really) moved across the inside side of the ring. The ring was controlled by many, many engines on the rim, giving it its spin and keeping it from buckling or moving off-center.
I'm not sure I understand your 'housing problem' correctly. The inside of a ring with a diameter of say 2x150 million km would create room for a multitude of people, though it would of course depend on the width of said ring. Create huge walls and in-between sections that are open to space to separate the different species, nations or whatever. Room to live would not be an issue on such a ring.
But building it...

That is how I remember it. Tethered to each other, to be clear, and thus forming a sectional ring itself around the sun. This ring was geostationary, I think.
The habitat ring was spinning around the sun, so the shadow (or shadows, really) moved across the inside side of the ring. The ring was controlled by many, many engines on the rim, giving it its spin and keeping it from buckling or moving off-center.
I'm not sure I understand your 'housing problem' correctly. The inside of a ring with a diameter of say 2x150 million km would create room for a multitude of people, though it would of course depend on the width of said ring. Create huge walls and in-between sections that are open to space to separate the different species, nations or whatever. Room to live would not be an issue on such a ring.
But building it...
Hi, to which housing problem do you refer? Thanks.

Yes I read that novel. If I remember the sections were coupled together with some cable. Not sure though perhaps it was a continuous band around the Sun. My idea is to have individual 'worlds' independently orbiting but maintaining distance with its neighbour in the next arc. Thus to build is easy–just one at a time. The first one is the manufacturing facility for the others then towed/sent into orbit. I am wondering though how a cuboid can orbit tidally locked. Maybe it is not necessary to have a night/day period as part of the design.
Halo . games , books and tv series.

Hi, to which housing problem do you refer? Thanks.
To this...
I have a draft concept for alien orbiting ringworlds. Each 'world' occupies a space within an arc second (arcsec) centered on the systems barycenter. Not sure what a possible size of one world would need to be to contain a population of a given size (let's say 100,000 bipeds slightly smaller than humans). Each world would have real gravity, atmosphere and a combination of water, landscape for its surface. What would make this ring feasible is at all? Bit of an open question!
But, like I said, I may have misunderstood your question.

If you are simply looking for a surface area to work around, the Earth's land area is 57.51 miles^2. Proportionalize over 8 billion, and there you go. Just a rough estimate, of course.

Back