2.07 Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - Those Old Scientists

ctg

weaver of the unseen
JvZOqH0.jpg

An accident while investigating a time portal sends Ensigns Beckett Mariner and Bradward Boimler through time from the 24th Century, and Captain Pike and his crew must get them back where they belong before they can alter the timeline.
IMDB score: 9.3 Runtime: 48 minutes

I kind of wished Dave would have done this one, because it's another TT tale. Although according to the synopsis, it's a twist. Looking at their uniforms, they are clearly from the future, because it always goes that way. For some reason.

Let's see how it develops...
CWWd2sN.jpg

I should have guessed. A crossover episode with the Lower Deck crew. What could possibly go wrong on "a routine portal scan," that "was discovered originally by Captain Pike and the Enterprise. I mean second Enterprise.

Why would the Federation be so anxious on to deal with the temporal anomalies, when they always end up being doomsday missions, one way or another. I loved that they called the device as "an ancient science thingy" that was found by "Orion's," who back "in those days were pirates."

Have they ever been anything else than criminals?

It was even better that away team acted as if they were tourist, and trying to act the lives of Spock and other legends. Of course, doing the Vulcan salute did send the ensign back in time. Straight to Spock's feet.

So the paradox is, "What if an over enthusiastic Traveller were sent back in time straight to the people who he worships?

gm6x6uJ.jpg

Man, the Feds should invent some TT classes for the StarFleet Academy, because it's happening to all of them and some of them cannot behave as they should without causing a temporal anomaly and screwing the future, because they diverged the timeline so much that it's possibly forking to a new one.

So it was good that La'An acted responsible and thought the rules. Not that the ensign Boimler were completely ignorant, but he most certainly acted as if he knew the rules. Even if he was star stuck the whole time.

wJvv4JZ.jpg

Then the space-pirates showed up, meaning that the future fleet archives are corrupt, because it was definitely the Enterprise who were there at first. According to the time-travelling Ensign, that's an Orion Scout. "Totally peaceful," he said, which is quite a statement when we are talking about the most notorious underclass in the StarFleet history.

Their captain claimed it to be "a science vessel," which it could absolutely be, if you were a pirate scientist and your mission were to make things better. Maybe they were in a mission to gather "ancient technology samples," as they beamed the portal on board and then hit the pedal on floor, leaving Pike to wonder if he'd made a mistake.

Well, not that anything is easy with him as he told the crew Pike birthday and that in the future it's a common holiday, before he figured out that somehow he might have altered Mr Spock for smiling at his love, as in the future "he is famous for never smiling."

As if he just couldn't help himself, he most certainly helped the Enterprise crew, by doing a modification and allowing them to track the pirates. And then suggest a trade instead of committing to a classical shooting match.

So Captain, Spock and La'An took the unfortunate ensign back to the portal location with the TT device, and said goodbyes. Except it didn't go as planned, as the other MC jumped back in time.

Uv78SHJ.jpg

To be honest, as soon as she jumped in the past and Pike commented, "This day started with a traveller, and now they've doubled," it started to feel like the Trouble of Triffids. Ensign Mariner turned out to be even worse on doing the right thing than Mr Boimler.

She just could not shut her mouth and appreciate the sights. No, she had to enter her knowledge to everything, almost making sure that what should not have been said was mentioned ... loudly.

It was her idol Uhura who told her that it's really hard to work with them, because of the expectations of her becoming "a super hard bad*ss." Which is right because you cannot be what the future portrays you to be, as you have to be you and not something that you are not, yet.

Yet, she was better handling the solution to the problem, by provoking Uhura to take a break and then be there when La'An gave her the key information to figure out the Portal symbols. Which in turn turned out to be ancient Nausicaan's language.

That name might provoke some thoughts, as it's a very well known Japanese Anime/Manga tale. The translation turned out to be the funniest, and most logical, "This is a time portal."

Man, that cracked me up so good. :LOL:

It wasn't long before the TT couple found themselves explaining their activity to Captain Pike. Funny thing is that it turned out to be the twist that turned the sour apple to a good one as not only they were able to apologize, get a lesson from a legend, they actually located the needed material at Chief Engineer Peela's possession.

At the end everything turned out to be good and the episode itself present one of the best crossovers in the history of everything.

I kind of wished Dave would have done this one, because it's another TT tale. Although according to the synopsis, it's a twist. Looking at their uniforms, they are clearly from the future, because it always goes that way. For some reason.

Let's see how it develops...
CWWd2sN.jpg

I should have guessed. A crossover episode with the Lower Deck crew. What could possibly go wrong on "a routine portal scan," that "was discovered originally by Captain Pike and the Enterprise. I mean second Enterprise.

Why would the Federation be so anxious on to deal with the temporal anomalies, when they always end up being doomsday missions, one way or another. I loved that they called the device as "an ancient science thingy" that was found by "Orion's," who back "in those days were pirates."

Have they ever been anything else than criminals?

It was even better that away team acted as if they were tourist, and trying to act the lives of Spock and other legends. Of course, doing the Vulcan salute did send the ensign back in time. Straight to Spock's feet.

So the paradox is, "What if an over enthusiastic Traveller were sent back in time straight to the people who he worships?

gm6x6uJ.jpg

Man, the Feds should invent some TT classes for the StarFleet Academy, because it's happening to all of them and some of them cannot behave as they should without causing a temporal anomaly and screwing the future, because they diverged the timeline so much that it's possibly forking to a new one.

So it was good that La'An acted responsible and thought the rules. Not that the ensign Boimler were completely ignorant, but he most certainly acted as if he knew the rules. Even if he was star stuck the whole time.

wJvv4JZ.jpg

Then the space-pirates showed up, meaning that the future fleet archives are corrupt, because it was definitely the Enterprise who were there at first. According to the time-travelling Ensign, that's an Orion Scout. "Totally peaceful," he said, which is quite a statement when we are talking about the most notorious underclass in the StarFleet history.

Their captain claimed it to be "a science vessel," which it could absolutely be, if you were a pirate scientist and your mission were to make things better. Maybe they were in a mission to gather "ancient technology samples," as they beamed the portal on board and then hit the pedal on floor, leaving Pike to wonder if he'd made a mistake.

Well, not that anything is easy with him as he told the crew Pike birthday and that in the future it's a common holiday, before he figured out that somehow he might have altered Mr Spock for smiling at his love, as in the future "he is famous for never smiling."

As if he just couldn't help himself, he most certainly helped the Enterprise crew, by doing a modification and allowing them to track the pirates. And then suggest a trade instead of committing to a classical shooting match.

So Captain, Spock and La'An took the unfortunate ensign back to the portal location with the TT device, and said goodbyes. Except it didn't go as planned, as the other MC jumped back in time.

Uv78SHJ.jpg

To be honest, as soon as she jumped in the past and Pike commented, "This day started with a traveller, and now they've doubled," it started to feel like the Trouble of Triffids. Ensign Mariner turned out to be even worse on doing the right thing than Mr Boimler.

She just could not shut her mouth and appreciate the sights. No, she had to enter her knowledge to everything, almost making sure that what should not have been said was mentioned ... loudly.

It was her idol Uhura who told her that it's really hard to work with them, because of the expectations of her becoming "a super hard bad*ss." Which is right because you cannot be what the future portrays you to be, as you have to be you and not something that you are not, yet.

Yet, she was better handling the solution to the problem, by provoking Uhura to take a break and then be there when La'An gave her the key information to figure out the Portal symbols. Which in turn turned out to be ancient Nausicaan's language.

That name might provoke some thoughts, as it's a very well known Japanese Anime/Manga tale. The translation turned out to be the funniest, and most logical, "This is a time portal."

Man, that cracked me up so good. :LOL:

It wasn't long before the TT couple found themselves explaining their activity to Captain Pike. Funny thing is that it turned out to be the twist that turned the sour apple to a good one as not only they were able to apologize, get a lesson from a legend, they actually located the needed material at Chief Engineer Peela's possession.

At the end everything turned out to be good and the episode itself present one of the best crossovers in the history of everything.

Seeing them as live action , I actual got to like Boimler and Mariner .

Reactions: ctg
Yes, they were annoying, behaving like the cartoon counterparts. So, job well done! I praise the Enterprise's crew to keep their calm, of course helped by the flattering things they learned about their future selves.
A comic relief episode. A very enjoyable episode. With the very best at the very end.

Yes, they were annoying, behaving like the cartoon counterparts. So, job well done! I praise the Enterprise's crew to keep their calm, of course helped by the flattering things they learned about their future selves.
A comic relief episode. A very enjoyable episode. With the very best at the very end.
I was so glad when it ended and we got a proper, if dull, episode afterwards.

Well, from the perspective of a TV screen viewer, the human and cartoon actors were equally "real."
Using Stange New Worlds to promote Lower Decks, though, was a bad idea.

A crossover episode with the Lower Deck crew.
Or, was it instead...
Using Strange New Worlds to promote Lower Decks... a bad idea.
And doing so blatantly! I really can't decide whether it was a good idea or not.
I found them equally annoying as their cartoon counterparts.
A comic relief episode. A very enjoyable episode.
You see, I think most people are going to really love it or else really hate it. There can be little in between, because the two different shows themselves are quite different.

I have liked some of The Lower Decks but it seems wrong to insert them here. I'd say this was one of the worse episodes this season, but I don't agree that this season is poor, or that there is some kind of downward spiral. What I will say is that Strange New Worlds has had far too many time travel episodes now and should go and take a long rest from them.
I kind of wished Dave would have done this one, because it's another TT tale.
I'm not sure why you say that, except that I did like one of the earlier TT episodes because I said it was done well. This episode was careful to avoid any important knowledge from the future, by having it centred on Orion scientists, and we know practically nothing about the Orions post TOS. However, I'm not a great fan of TT episodes or Mirror Universe episodes, at least, I'm not so great a fan of them as the writers and production teams clearly are!

Back