Hellblazer, Sandman, Doom Patrol...etc

imported_iBrian

chroniclesofempire.net
Anyone here know what I'm talking about? You know...Neil Gaiman, Jamie Delano, Grant Morrison, etc?

Anyone ever read that sphere of comics?

I reckon everyone that reads comics knows the names, and Morrison is actually one of my favourite writers, but wouldn't call Neil Gaiman part of the 'sphere of comics.'

As for Delano, another great writer, although i'm sad he doesn't write that much nowadays - his Hellblazer run is a classic in the book, surpassed only by Ennis' run-

I know the names well, but when it comes to this genre of comics, if you could call it that, I am on much more familiar territory with The Invisibles, Preacher or Transmetropolitan. I am only a recent convert to Vertigo titles, and I would like to get a look at these books when I get the chance.

wouldn't call Neil Gaiman part of the 'sphere of comics

Ah, but "Sandman"..."Books of Magic"..."Black Orchid"...

...all superb works that make the word "comic" mean something entirely different.

Never liked the Garth Ennis run of "Hellblazer", though...something a little too macho and obvious about John there. Delano kept it straight that John was a wasted wash-out, and often the victim of circumstance, rather than the master of it.

And Morrison's "Zenith" and "Doom Patrol"...ahhhh... they were the days.

Worthy successors to Alan Moore and Frank Miller. No idea who the newer writers are, though...:(

Doom Patrol

I've been getting the collected editions of The Doom Patrol. IMHO they are well worth the money like most of the collected editions that DC sells. I've always liked this team of misfits.

LongGunMenX

I've read lots of Neil Gaiman (almost all his novels)... and of course, The Sandman graphic novels, which is bloody brilliant! I'm already into the Fables which IMO is a dream come true to fantasy readers :). Also ordered the whole Preacher (which I've heard a lot of great things about) series and thinking of jumping into the Hellblazer bandwagon...

Cheer's, DeepThought

Sandman, Hellblazer, Books of Magic, V for Vendetta, The Watchmen... if only more books were written as good as this comics are!

And Preacher is my favorite, no doubts there.

Hellblazer is my favorit comics series of alltime simply cause how interesting and mulitifaced John Constantine is. Garth Ennis runs made it great for me.

Zoran you reading the new run of Hellblazer ?

Zoran you reading the new run of Hellblazer ?

Nope. I must confess, I have lost my contact with comic world two years ago, when I sold my part of ownership in a fantasy shop. :( So, only the stuff older than two years.

Well, I can talk about those I've ever read. Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Frank Miller.

I'd say I think Miller goes from small and simple concepts and makes greater stories - obviously, Dark Knight is an exception. Moore is more related to bigger ideas, to revolutions... I like it, very much, but Miller style matches better to my taste.

By the way... don't you think Mike Mignola fits in this club?

Well, I can talk about those I've ever read. Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Frank Miller.

I'd say I think Miller goes from small and simple concepts and makes greater stories - obviously, Dark Knight is an exception. Moore is more related to bigger ideas, to revolutions... I like it, very much, but Miller style matches better to my taste.

By the way... don't you think Mike Mignola fits in this club?

Mike Mignolia is one of my favorite comic creators. Im a big fan of Hellboy, have collected almost every GNs with HB stories.

I actually became a comics fan thanks to Frank Miller's Sin City and Dark Knight Returns and Mignola's Hellboy.

Its a shame he doesnt draw Hellboy anymore

What do you think about Ennis ? He is my current fav writer.

Garth Ennis is one of my fav. writers since the first time I got in touch to his work, maybe in 2001 or 2002. I like his sarcasm and his lack of fake-moralistic-sense that empires in the "regular" comic world.

By the way, does he writes Authority? I need do read it. Just don't found time (and money) yet.

Oh, and my fav. writer in general is Joe Sacco. Although he's in a different team from those we're talking about.

Hehe awesome to see other Ennis fans in a place like this :)

Zoran have you read Max Punisher series ? Im not sure since you said you didnt read current comics works. I think its his best work since his best Hellblazer stories.

Oh add another Ennis fan to the list. I agree with Connavar about how good the Punisher series has been - but probably rate Preacher over Hellblazer.

And is it just me is he turning out some superb stuff at the moment as well as Punisher - The Boys, Wormwood and even Dan Dare has been fun

Oh add another Ennis fan to the list. I agree with Connavar about how good the Punisher series has been - but probably rate Preacher over Hellblazer.

And is it just me is he turning out some superb stuff at the moment as well as Punisher - The Boys, Wormwood and even Dan Dare has been fun

Heh I enjoyed Dan Dare when i tried it.

Have you read War is Hell issue 1 ? I even bought it despite i hate Chaykin art. It was worth it cause it was pretty good. Typical quality War story by him.

I think he is the only author of him i buy everything i see him do. Waiting for Streets of Glory.

I'm a bit like you Connavar, I have a standing order in the local comic shop for anything with his name on it. War Is Hell was excellent too, I've got to get into town to pick up issue 2.

Streets of Glory is once again, another excelltn turn by the man.

I was rather interested in you liking Dan Dare - I wondered how it was going to be recieved outside of the UK, the character of Dare if quintessentially English and I wondered how he was going to go down!

I'm a bit like you Connavar, I have a standing order in the local comic shop for anything with his name on it. War Is Hell was excellent too, I've got to get into town to pick up issue 2.

Streets of Glory is once again, another excelltn turn by the man.

I was rather interested in you liking Dan Dare - I wondered how it was going to be recieved outside of the UK, the character of Dare if quintessentially English and I wondered how he was going to go down!

I didnt know anything of his previous history that some UK fans in CBR forums mentioned. I just liked the characters and story. The future and space element was easy to like too since SF is the reason im a member of these forums.

I almost feel like dissing my LCS guy for not being able to get me Streets of Glory already.

Ennis's style is perfect for westerns. I loved Just a Pilgrim.

How would you rate his stories ? Make a top 5 fav Ennis works

Oh that is so hard to do!
Preacher
Hellblazer
Punisher
The Boys
Wormwood
Hitman

Okay they are not in any real order, and it was only as I was typing it out that I remembered Hitman and didn't want to neglect it!